Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
As a 3GS owner can I please go back to iOS4 while we're at it? After refusing to "up"grade to 5, I upgraded to 6 by accident. It's no longer my primary phone but still works great as a 2ndary camera, alarm, weather checker, etc, and it was much better on iOS 4 than 6.

Apple's decision makes sense for them though. By making upgrades insidiously easy and backgrades impossible, nerfing older products will virtually force users to buy new iDevices. It's kind of like micropayments. "Give us $200 or this app will get exponentially tedious."

All the more reason MacOS > iOS.

It's not nerfing understand that mobile tech was horrible compared to what we have now. You seriously expecting a single core 800mhz 32bit processor and 256mb of RAM to run a modern OS. This is a thick minded, erm comment.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
I'm not trying to knock on people who love iOS 7. I'm just mad as hell because iOS 6.1 performance wise compared to iOS 7 was just night and day. The biggest issue with iOS 7 is the performance and you gotta be kidding me apple you take 6months to fix what iOS 7.0 was suppose to be initially.

If they issued a fix for the performance issues maybe two months after sept debut I would've been ok but it dragged on forever and these new figures posted isn't something to be proud of either. You go from a heavy texture driven ui to non textured flat coloring no graphics iOS 7 and you'd expect performance to be better since no texture graphics equals lower memory use but instead it's still slower in iOS 7.

I already have given up on iPhone since I have a note 3 now and even though a dual core a7 is better vs the Qualcomm quad cpu the small screen and pathetic iOS is just too weak.

If not for the great iPad apps that android just doesn't have or even compare I'd already sold off my iPads.

This whole iOS 7 is just a mess. If Steve jobs were alive you know he'd flip his dome and fire off everyone responsible for iOS 7.

"This whole iOS 7 is just a mess. If Steve jobs were alive you know he'd flip his dome and fire off everyone responsible for iOS 7."

Jony Ive is responsible for iOS 7. So you're saying that Steve Jobs would fire Jony Ive? If you knew anything about Jobs' & Ive's working relationship, you'd know that Ive would be the very last person Jobs would fire, if ever. Please use common sense before spouting garbage. Even though Tim Cook is CEO, make no mistake, it is Jony Ive's Apple now. Better get used to it or jump ship.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
He's off because iOS 7.1 doesn't just improve on iOS7. It also improves on iOS6 and everything before. e.g., The gotofail and other security problems were introduced in iOS6.

It is also reasonable to infer that iOS 7.1 has new effort in supporting newer partners since one of the rumor sites found new iPad SKUs in 7.1. Of course there is also CarPlay.

There are probably on-going work in supporting the in-app purchase regulation too.

I don't think Ive is behind all these. He's more like a high level design guy. So probably contribute to the direction and concepts, plus refinements in specific details (e.g., Gold in 5s, Touch ID industrial element, iOS7 parallax stuff, etc.).

Last edited:

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
iOS 6.1 was the best of iOS experience. But function wise it got old and boring. You do realize iOS 7 is still iOS 6.x underneath. It's just the uglier flat kindergartner design that captivates you because attention span for humans these days is like zero. Next you know people will get bored of how a wheel looks and moves. :rolleyes:

When will people realize then ugly/beauty are totally subjective?? Right?

Personally I would never ever go back to that "Ugly" iOS full of leather stitching/fake woods/green fields and all sorts of rubbish!! Honestly ...makes me sick....!!

But hey..... to all few guys who are still using it. I am glad you are enjoying it and do make most of it while you still can.

Ssn!

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2011
Somewhere
Faster? Yes!

I'm updating my iPhone 4 as I type. Even though iOS 7 made it slower than iOS 6, I still prefer iOS 7.

I'm really excited about this update *hopefully* making it snappier. Granted, I know I have an old device and I don't expect an almost 4 year old phone to work as new.

Now bring on the iPhone 6 as I'm ready to upgrade! :D

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
IMHO Apple should stop trying to force OS updates on hardware that struggles with them, and just support older OS versions for longer (just for security and bugs, not features).

I'm still on 5.1.1 on my iPhone 4, and while I wouldn't necessarily trust it enough to do my internet banking on or anything it's still a fine, responsive, and yes, snappy, phone.

I never saw anything in iOS 6 or 7 that made me want to risk turning my phone into a treacle-monster.

I'll happily move to iOS 7 (or 8...) when I get a new phone.

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014
Lies

Ok, this has bugged me for a while. I have a 4S on 5.1.1 and an ipad air on 7.0.6 both jail broken. I installed a tweak called Accelerator and NoSlowAnimations - they just speed up the animations significantly. I turned them off and iOS behaved like a slug in syrup. It is really amazing how much the animations slow iOS down. I suspected Apple uses the animation speed to change how fast iOS "feels".

Could someone with a iPhone 4 on 7.0.X try out NoSlowAnimations and report back?

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
Pathetic. You go from full textured iOS 6.1 to a slimmed down ugly arse flat kindergartner designed iOS 7 and yet your performance numbers are still quite crap.

Phone app from 0.67 to 1.83s. That's going from half a second to almost 2seconds. How is this anything to be proud of?!

The entire iOS 7 design team needs to be fired. You fire Scott forestall and that guy single handily created the best iPhone experience ever. But no, u fire him and keep a bunch of loony toon characters on board to create this atrocious mess.

Forstall? The guy who overseen the abomination which was iOS 4 on iPhone 3G?

Now THAT was how to kill a phone .

wiz329

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Are there any developers here that can give a good explanation for this behavior, at a high level?

Why would a new software release take longer to accomplish the same tasks with the same hardware?

I would understand if the newer software were trying to accomplish more (which is completely reasonable -- as hardware gets more powerful, we would expect the software to evolve to take advantage of that). But if it is still accomplishing the same tasks -- opening safari, for example, why would a newer software release degrade performance? If anything, you would think that they would make things more efficient, and thus faster, regardless of hardware platform.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
IMHO Apple should stop trying to force OS updates on hardware that struggles with them, and just support older OS versions for longer (just for security and bugs, not features).

I'm still on 5.1.1 on my iPhone 4, and while I wouldn't necessarily trust it enough to do my internet banking on or anything it's still a fine, responsive, and yes, snappy, phone.

I never saw anything in iOS 6 or 7 that made me want to risk turning my phone into a treacle-monster.

I'll happily move to iOS 7 (or 8...) when I get a new phone.

They are already doing that ! No one forces you to update. Feature improvements are always case by case. e.g., iPhone 4 has h/w limitations that prevent it from supporting high end features. But there are still other features that are doable.

They release security fixes for iOS6 too.

Whether you choose to upgrade is your preference. Some like you decide to stay. Others -- most -- updated to iOS7.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Ah I knew it wasn't my imagination. iPad was really fast this morning, after a nightly upgrade. Besides the applications, all the UI animations are way more fast (not only smoother, also literally faster).

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Are there any developers here that can give a good explanation for this behavior, at a high level?

Why would a new software release take longer to accomplish the same tasks with the same hardware?

I would understand if the newer software were trying to accomplish more (which is completely reasonable -- as hardware gets more powerful, we would expect the software to evolve to take advantage of that). But if it is still accomplishing the same tasks -- opening safari, for example, why would a newer software release degrade performance? If anything, you would think that they would make things more efficient, and thus faster, regardless of hardware platform.

Opening the new Safari may load more packages, or do more work compared to the old one.

e.g., The newer Safari may be broken into multiple sandboxed processes (more secure) compared to the older, less secure monolithic Safari.

Sometimes, the code may be optimized for newer architecture.

Sometimes, people may measure the "wrong" thing. e.g., slower in loading app, but it may be faster in opening and rendering a page.

----------

My iP4 is about the same as 7.0.6.

If you have time, reinstall may remove whatever problem that's slowing it down.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
They are already doing that ! No one forces you to update. Feature improvements are always case by case. e.g., iPhone 4 has h/w limitations that prevent it from supporting high end features. But there are still other features that are doable.

They release security fixes for iOS6 too.

Whether you choose to upgrade is your preference. Some like you decide to stay. Others -- most -- updated to iOS7.

You have that completely wrong. If you were right, and he was wrong Apple would have released the SSL fix for iPhone4's running iOS6. They patched iOS6, but didn't issue it for iPhone4. They withheld it deliberately to force users onto 7.

RuffyYoshi

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2014
Serbia
Hey, it's snappier! Hey, it's smooth, or at least somewhat! Hey it's almost as fast as 6 was! Impressive, huh?

*chirp chirp*

niick18

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2014
Ridiculous performance on iPhone 4!

If apple can re-design an iOS 7 mainly for the older device iPhone 4, it would be great for speeding up the device. Upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS 7 and what i got is lag and crash! Apple should test the OS on it before releasing the OS to iPhone 4 user. It would be great if they offer the iPhone 4 user to rollback their device into iOS 6.1.2... As the speed of each apps became slower and slower.. Is there anything to be proud of releasing this piece of this crap OS? Ridiculous performance...

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
iOS7 is nice, but beatiful? Im big Apple fan, but Id agree that it could be better. However, its has much better and more modern design than iOS6 thats for sure. I have big expectation about iOS8. I hope it delivers faster performance and more unified interface. Currently, some elements just dont fit in the overall design. I dont pretend to have any design knowledge but speeking as a user.

Setok

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
Helsinki
Okay, you've convinced me. You have no knowledge of the history of Apple. OS X over OS 9 is exactly iOS 7 over iOS 6. Radically redesigned, unstable in public, stabilized over time. The only difference is: for these spoiled users, the wait time has been far shorter. 6 months is nothing.

With your supreme knowledge of Apple history you will also, of course, know that OS X was a complete rewrite over OS 9. The whole OS architecture was different with only an emulation layer for OS 9 stuff. iOS 7 is mostly an update on the frontend (visuals), with some added bits. The core architecture is still the same. It is nowhere near as radical a change as OS 9 -> X.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Still slower.

I'm still using iOS 5 on my iPhone 4, by the way.

Congratulations.

For those that upgraded to 7.0 (like me) and couldn't go back 7.1 resolves the performance issues. If you want to be a luddite and stick with isecure iOS 5 and old versions of apps then carry on.

Probably took you longer to type that message than you'll ever save on iOS5. :p

johnnyinternets

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
UK
Am i missing something here? ios 7.1 is faster than ios 7 which is a bucket load slower than ios 6.1.3? How is that "snappier"?

obiwan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
Performance Downgrade

Whilst I think it's great that iOS 7.1 will make my ageing iPhone 4 snappier (which is unbearable at the moment with iOS 7.0.4, even with a lot of the GUI effects turned off), I don't really understand why a newer operating system should be slower than the old one.

I do get the whole 'let's squeeze much more out of the hardware, and take advantage of the latest handsets' - but surely this should not be at the expense of performance? I don't understand why safari, mail etc. should be slower than they were before - they are the same apps! Every operating system 'upgrade' is actually a 'downgrade' performance wise. I wouldn't be so annoyed if there was a way to revert back to previous iOS versions if the performance suffers so much. This is a deliberate attempt by Apple to prematurely retire your handset early, so you upgrade to the latest hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.