Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
...Apple should fix the new (and unnecessary) UI tweaks that they made to the Phone app (the smaller and circular buttons that waste screen space and reducing a contact picture in a call to a tiny thumbnail). Other than that, 7.1 is a small step in the right direction.

Yes, I hate those changes. I look forward to the optimizations of 7.1, but I hope they fix those awful circles.

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
I really hope Apple does improve iOS management, but I also hope that includes improvements to what Configurator can do. I have not had any problems using Configurator with a sync station and dozens of iPads, and loading apps and profiles on iPads is very quick. I just wish there was more customization options for both MDM options (including OS X Server) and Configurator.

I hear you, I am also hoping that Profile Manager in OS X Server is made to be much more powerful and flexible. It does look like Apple is positioning iOS and OS X as both consumer and enterprise operating systems, since they added the Volume Purchasing Program to Profile Manager recently. Looks like they are getting the final tweaks in before they go all-out with a first-party MDM solution for small to medium businesses as well as larger enterprises. I really hope this is the case!

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Here's hoping that after the 15th is the case. Would really like to get my hands on a 7.0.4 iPhone 5C when my upgrade comes up on the 5th so I can jailbreak it. :eek:

I'm just too happy with the 5x6 layout on my iPod. That and the Lato Light font. I would stay on 7.0.4 forever to keep that setup. The interface changes look like they can be ported over anyway and I have no need for FaceTime Audio.

Most likely the 5c you buy will have 7.0.4(5?) even if they released 7.1 between now and March 5th. If you purchase in a store, make sure the sales person doesn't hit the update button in an attempt to be helpful.

Last edited:

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
I hope these new MDM features mean that Apple will provide OS X Server and Profile Manager with a real solution for managing Apple devices all the way from schools and small to medium sized businesses to large enterprises. The business community has so much to gain from the "It Just Works" philosophy. IT staff will be like the Maytag repair man, they won't have much work to do :p

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
...Apple should fix the new (and unnecessary) UI tweaks that they made to the Phone app (the smaller and circular buttons that waste screen space and reducing a contact picture in a call to a tiny thumbnail). Other than that, 7.1 is a small step in the right direction.

Very much agree about the size of the caller's picture. It used to be fun to see a nice picture of a friend or loved one pop up on the screen when they were calling. Now, the display is merely informational, and doesn't even serve that purpose as well.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
"and caps locks keys on the keyboard, refined icons for the Phone, FaceTime, and Messages apps, and a new look for several aspects of the Phone dialer"

.... seriously, how long does it take to do these ones? :confused:
i know all the hypes and fanboys etc etc... but still, it looks so silly to have such great details of tiny tiny modifications that may or may not be that popular...round dialler button? big 'invention' and great 'feature' :confused:

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
We were also supposed to get iOS for the Car, which so far developers have seen nothing but faint indications of.

iOS in the car will not work unless 3rd party current car installations take off. people will not buy a new car just for this.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
"and caps locks keys on the keyboard, refined icons for the Phone, FaceTime, and Messages apps, and a new look for several aspects of the Phone dialer"

i know all the hypes and fanboys etc etc... but still, it looks so silly to have such great details of tiny tiny modifications that may or may not be that popular...round dialler button? big 'invention' and great 'feature' :confused:

A point update is not and has never been a major feature release for Apple. It is mostly about bug fixes (mainly) and some tweaks to the OS. 7.1 is much improved over pre 7.1 versions, therefore I'd say it's doing its job.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I agree I hate the circles apples putting ever where wasting screen space and looking ugly.

The new circles remind me of old typewriter keys.

vintage_typewriter_keys_kindle_case-rc4f1fad6fcb74555966979ee2f6b7b98_ftdau_8byvr_512.jpg

----------

Let's hope 7.1 fixes Safari's frequent crashes.

7.1 seems much better behaved than 7.0.4. I even put it on my personal phone because I was tired of my dev iPad running better on a beta OS than my iPhone on a production OS.

eggersj

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
Just release 7.1 with the big fixes. They can release new features afterwards at whatever timeframe they want.

I'm sick of these crashes and glitches.

Exactly!!!!! Enough already!!!!! It can't be soon enough. I really hope this update does fix the crash issue like I'm hoping... :(

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I want to see

- more stability. iOS 7 needs to return to the stability of old iOS versions
- a fully functional and stable music app
- no more reloading safari tabs on the iPad.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
airdrop between ios and os x please!

Not gonna happen, apparently based on technological limitations of the protocol and the hardware.

Here's to hoping they at least rename it in 7.1. :rolleyes:

----------

I want to see

- more stability. iOS 7 needs to return to the stability of old iOS versions
- a fully functional and stable music app
- no more reloading safari tabs on the iPad.

The last one is not going to happen. That is, unless iOS 7.1 is going to stop you from multitasking while you manually clear your RAM.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Windows 8 was a "mistake". iOS 7 just needs a few refinements.

Have you actually used Windows 8? I'd hardly call it a mistake. Like iOS 7, it just needs a few refinements (primarily, eliminating the tiled Start screen and restoring the Start menu).

----------

I just hope they fix the issues with the Music app. It has been unusable since iOS 7 came out.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

There is way more to iOS 7.1 than that, mostly under the good (as far as stability/performance/security improvements).

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Very much agree about the size of the caller's picture. It used to be fun to see a nice picture of a friend or loved one pop up on the screen when they were calling. Now, the display is merely informational, and doesn't even serve that purpose as well.

Yeah the pic is so small its hard to really tell who it is anyway. May as well not even have the pic assigned. That was a bad move but otherwise I like the new buttons in the phone app.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I see some people ask for this as if it just 'makes sense'.

Would you mind enumerating how you anticipate that this would work? Because I don't see it...at all.

I suppose it would depend on hardware limitations. As far as I remember, Airdrop on OS X also requires specific hardware for the WiFi connection, only found in 2008+ Macs. It could be that a similar connection is possible between Macs and iOS devices, again, supposing that the hardware allows it. Even if that would not be possible, is it then not possible to find a workaround using WiFi? You can already sync your iOS device over WiFi with your Mac, so it should be possible at least indirectly. Regardless, this is Apple's problem to solve, since they are the ones creating the confusion in the first place.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
I suppose it would depend on hardware limitations. As far as I remember, Airdrop on OS X also requires specific hardware for the WiFi connection, only found in 2008+ Macs. It could be that a similar connection is possible between Macs and iOS devices, again, supposing that the hardware allows it. Even if that would not be possible, is it then not possible to find a workaround using WiFi? You can already sync your iOS device over WiFi with your Mac, so it should be possible at least indirectly. Regardless, this is Apple's problem to solve, since they are the ones creating the confusion in the first place.

No no, there should be no hardware issue at all. Wifi-direct and bluetooth should be all that's needed to make it work with any iOS device and any Mac that already support AirDrop.

I meant software. iOS devices and Macs both have completely different ways to doing AirDrop. Everyone seems to ask for this feature, but no one has any idea how it would work.

What files would you want to transfer and where?

I suppose from an iOS device to a Mac, there are some options. Certain files, like a photo, or an iWork document could conceivably be transferred from iOS device to the Desktop of Mac. WHY you'd want to do that is beyond me, considering this is exactly what iCloud is for, and does better.

So let's assume its not your Mac, and doesn't have your iCloud account attached to it. Let's also assume that even though its not your Mac, and you're standing next to it, that you're also on the same WiFi network as that Mac. In this unbelievably rare case, it would be unnecessary to build in AirDrop support. At this point, just email the file. It would almost always be faster than AirDrop anyway and doesn't require interaction on both devices at the same time to send / approve / receive.

As bad as that was, there is even less sense in transferring from Mac to iOS device, as there is no 'Desktop' to drop the file on to. You've have to be transferring a file into a corresponding App that is meant to handle it, and odds are you don't need to, because iCloud has already done it.

So again...what is this mythical need for AirDrop across Mac and iOS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.