Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you like Apple's MAps in iOS 7?

• I live in the US and Apple's Maps is great.

Votes: 158 27.9%
  • I live outside the US and Apple's Maps is great.

Votes: 64 11.3%
  • I live in the US nd Apple's Maps is OK.

Votes: 97 17.1%
  • I live outside the US and Apple's Maps is OK.

Votes: 93 16.4%
  • I live in the US and Apple's Maps is a festering pile of excrement.

Votes: 63 11.1%
  • I live outside the US and Apple's Maps is a festering pile of excrement.

Votes: 91 16.1%

• Total voters

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Anyone notice that Google maps traffic is supplemented by Waze?

3u9ada6u.jpg

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Hopefully Apple and Microsoft will get smart and partner up with Nokia (who owns NAVTEQ). Then they can cross reference their TomTom data and iron out discrepancies. It's the only shot they have of taking on the Great Foogle.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Hopefully Apple and Microsoft will get smart and partner up with Nokia (who owns NAVTEQ). Then they can cross reference their TomTom data and iron out discrepancies. It's the only shot they have of taking on the Great Foogle.

This may apply only to my area but I use a Garmin standalone (NAVTEQ) over a tomtom because the accuracy is soooo much better. It's almost as good as Google.

If you zoom into rural areas with Google you'll see property actually sectioned off. So Google knows through whatever means actual property lots. So they know the addresses related to them which would make it very accurate.

Point being NAVTEQ likely is the same way so it would be a welcomed addition to Apple maps.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
As much as I want to ditch Google Maps in favour of Apple's, it's really starting to dawn on me the reality that Apple Maps may never ever reach the level of GMaps, and IMO it all boils down to how seriously you're taking the effort to improve it.

In saddens me to say but the stark contrast between Apple and Google's handling of error reports is astounding to me.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
IOS 7.1.1 Maps is fabulous! I say that having had Apple Maps guide our vehicle from Northern Michigan to SUNY Purchase. Best of all are the turn by turn voice instructions from Siri - on my iPad 2. That sure was a surprise.

Last night the driver decided to follow the instructions given by another person in the car, rather than Maps. We wound up going in the wrong direction. Turned Maps back on and immediately we were guided back in the right direction. Was fun to watch.

On the other hand, I had tried Google maps early in the trip. Did not like. Apple makes things so much easier. I use Waze, too, but just need to touch the top of the screen to get right back to Maps.

Apple Maps is a real game changer for me. I never could figure out why people wanted a car mount for their iPad. Now I know. :)

Bcarraher

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Right now the addition of lane guidance makes Google my favorite gps app. This could change with the arrival of ios8.

RCGMac

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
The lack of POI's on Apple Maps is frustrating. Google does a great job with accurately depicting what is on the ground, down to building footprints. Apple misses major POI's like a huge high school that was built in my town in 2010! If you look at the location on Apple Maps it just looks like a empty piece of land, while Google has a POI for the school and even the campus is shaded a different color.

Also Apple Maps is SLOW to update. A perfect example is here in the Houston area a new leg of a toll road was finished in January. Google has the new route while Apple still shows the highway dead-ending. For those with both Google Maps and Apple Maps on their device do a simple navigation search from Katy, TX to Houston Premium Outlets. Google routes you on the new tollway and gets you there in 28 minutes while Apple still routes you on local roads and takes nearly 1/3 longer at 40 minutes. This is a major highway that is nearly 20 miles long and has been finished for nearly six months! Completely unacceptable and sad that we are going on nearly two years since Maps has been unveiled.

Last edited:

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I dont know how anyone could use Apple Maps, knowing that Google Maps and Waze show real-time traffic conditions AS YOU'RE DRIVING.

RCGMac

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
I dont know how anyone could use Apple Maps, knowing that Google Maps and Waze show real-time traffic conditions AS YOU'RE DRIVING.

The traffic layer on Apple Maps is quite terrible. The random dots that blend in with the rest of the map make the already limited traffic information nearly useless. It boggles the mind that for a company that prides itself on usability and attention to detail still has a program with all of these issues.

I would love to use Apple Maps because it really is a beautiful software. I love the attention to detail that even shows the actual state highway markers for each state. But at the end of the day the program misses the boat on the important things while focusing on rather meaningless details like appropriately designed route markers.

GoSh4rks

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
The traffic layer on Apple Maps is quite terrible. The random dots that blend in with the rest of the map make the already limited traffic information nearly useless. It boggles the mind that for a company that prides itself on usability and attention to detail still has a program with all of these issues.

I would love to use Apple Maps because it really is a beautiful software. I love the attention to detail that even shows the actual state highway markers for each state. But at the end of the day the program misses the boat on the important things while focusing on rather meaningless details like appropriately designed route markers.
One of Apple Maps' biggest flaws in the traffic layer is that you cannot differentiate a road that has no traffic versus a road that has no traffic DATA.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK

I also don't like the ios 7 style artwork used in apple maps.
The ios 6 style was incomplete but much more pleasant to look at.

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
i think Apple Maps are ok. i live in Nyc. So it get more attention in big cities. But when i need to get somewhere i use google maps.

Especially since Google maps has public transportation. If Apple Maps had public transportation built in maybe i'll use it more often.

I just like to look at the 3D building in Apple Maps :D:D

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
The problem with "ok" is usually that it is inferior to other apps.
And with maps being a very important and key feature to smart phones, its not surprising that many people use the google stand alone app instead.

I can't see why Apple chose to go it alone in regards to maps given the work needed to try and compete with other key map companies.

janitor1999

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
I have tried to like google, but until they provide the ability to change the voice in turn by turn directions, the current one sounds like a demented computer from a sci-fi movie, where as the turn by turn directions in apple maps is quite good.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
I have tried to like google, but until they provide the ability to change the voice in turn by turn directions, the current one sounds like a demented computer from a sci-fi movie, where as the turn by turn directions in apple maps is quite good.

I personally like "GPS Nav" from Skobbler it uses the open source maps project and has customizable voices. Some celebrity voices too like Mr T. Very cool.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I usually use Apple Maps. However, I used Google Maps a few weeks ago on a trip up to northern PA since the three routes Apple Maps suggested all involved tolls. One of the routes Google Maps offered bypassed the tolls, so I went with that. Otherwise, I usually only have the Google Maps app installed just as a failsafe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.