Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
iOS7 didn't disable anything. The hack used by this app just no longer works with the current beta.. All they need to do is find another solution that works with the final iOS7 release.

DepModeFan

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2013
Glen Gardner, NJ
Why not just build in a little flashy thing to the front of the phone (like in Men In Black) and simply wipe the users short term memory after looking at sent picture?

rpe33

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
What's with all the 'I don't understand...' and ' it's telling people I took a screenshot?". It quite clearly states in the article that with iOS 7 you can take a screenshot without the sender of the photo knowing, whereas previously you couldn't. That's it. Never used Snapchat, quickly skimmed the article and even I got that.

If you've never used Snapchat then it's easy to get confused. I've never used it before so I had no idea what this was about. I looked up what Snapchat was and now I get it.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Please, Snapchat, give us a break! You can never prevent people from snapping a photo of the screen. The ultimate workaround has always been -- and will always be -- the same. Take a photo of your screen with another iPhone, an iPod, an iPad, or any normal digital camera!!

I don't use snapchat but it always seemed that using the video out capabilities of the iphone would be plenty to bypass. Just have the screen mirrored and capture the mirror.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Ya, right? Seems like it's an iOS bug that lets horny men send pictures to other horny men against the will of the subjects of the pictures. That about it?

Apple no longer lets you finger your screen to send voyeuristic pictures of young girls to perverts. Ok. I'm all good with that, then.

You sound upset.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
As always, don't put stuff on the Internet you don't want in the public domain...

I don't use this app, but... yeah. If you wanted to take screenshots of any app then even without a software warning feature there have been other ways since the advent of photography, somewhat earlier than smartphones… seems like a completely flawed concept in the first place.

It reminds me a little like how Apple's DVD player app didn't allow screenshots, which is why no-one has ever seen a screenshot of DVD video outside the studios' control. :rolleyes:

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I read it once and decided once was enough. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who found it confusing!

I read it twice before I understood what it meant. Then I had a major moment of regret that I would never have those two minutes of my life back. Perhaps I'm just weird, but I largely don't care to even see pictures of my friends' daily lives, unless they are engaged in something epic.

cruisencode

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2009
My question is... How does this impact Facebook Poke? The article mentions it but then focuses on Snapchat.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
Relying on the recipient's App (or integrity) to protect your privacy is lunacy. Anyone sending any image with ANY expectation other than that it is going to be forever saved, archived and redistributed across the globe, is a fool IMO.

macmanwa

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
New York, NY
It's a Known Bug, Not a New iOS 7 Feature

This is noted as a known bug (in the release notes) with the current betas of iOS7 (which means it will be fixed), this isn't how it will operate on release.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
This is noted as a known bug (in the release notes) with the current betas of iOS7 (which means it will be fixed), this isn't how it will operate on release.

That's kind of too bad. All Snapchat functions aside, I feel like the "new" way of this makes way more sense.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I read it twice before I understood what it meant. Then I had a major moment of regret that I would never have those two minutes of my life back. Perhaps I'm just weird, but I largely don't care to even see pictures of my friends' daily lives, unless they are engaged in something epic.

I don't use snapchat but I know a lot of teens and twentysomethings that do. They use it for all kinds of silly "heeeeeeey, wish you were here!!!" moments. For example, I was at a fundraising coffee house type event with a bunch of friends. One of their buddies wanted to be there but was out of town, so they kept sending her snaps and video clips of what was going on so she could get a taste of what she was missing. A lot of those photos were self-pics of friends huddled around the camera and making silly faces.

Could they have done it in other ways? Certainly -- they could have emailed her photos, or set up a livetreaming webcam, or posted photos on Facebook. But this method was immediate, almost real-time, and, I guess, more fun for them.

Adult-oriented applications aside, I figured the fun of snapchat was the impulsiveness of the feed. Like video chatting (which can, technically, be saved, but usually isn't). In other words, I see the app's usage context not as "to send someone very private photos that theoretically can never be seen again" but "to send someone quick, one-off, fleeting snapshots of a moment in time".

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
on and off, i read it whole day, still don't have a clue, its something got to do with screenshot....but what? maybe installing snapchat might make some sense. I'll pass anyway.

All you need to know is, if a user was pressing and holding a button (or touching the screen somewhere) while a screenshot is taking place, the button press used to be interrupted. In other words, the app will notice that you have "let go", a split second before the screenshot occurs.

Now it is not. The app never notices that you took a screenshot.

That's it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.