Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
I'm currently on a 4S. I doubt it will get iOS 8 too but runs fine as of now.

There's no reason for you to doubt. It will most likely get iOS 8. Apple has never stopped updating 2 generations of the iDevices at the same time, and considering iPhone 4s is twice as fast in CPU and 7x in GPU (compared to 4), it means it will have enough to run iOS 8 (how it will run it is a different thing). :)

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
There's no reason for you to doubt. It will most likely get iOS 8. Apple has never stopped updating 2 generations of the iDevices at the same time, and considering iPhone 4s is twice as fast in CPU and 7x in GPU (compared to 4), it means it will have enough to run iOS 8 (how it will run it is a different thing). :)

Yeah it's going to be like the 3GS due to its internals, at least 4 iOS software updates before Apple ditches it. The reason it'll be ditch would be the lack of lightning connector and screen size. (One of the reason Apple stopped supporting 3GS is the not retina screen though I'm not too sure it would run ios 7 nicely anyway)

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Yeah it's going to be like the 3GS due to its internals, at least 4 iOS software updates before Apple ditches it. The reason it'll be ditch would be the lack of lightning connector and screen size. (One of the reason Apple stopped supporting 3GS is the not retina screen though I'm not too sure it would run ios 7 nicely anyway)

It would probably run better than the 4.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013

I would assume they stopped updating the 3GS due to it's limited RAM (only 256 mb)

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
I would assume they stopped updating the 3GS due to it's limited RAM (only 256 mb)

That's another reason, but having a HVGA screen and not retina, 256 MB isn't too little compared to the 4th Gen iPod Touch which showed that 256 MB is barely enough to push retina and the operating system.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
That's another reason, but having a HVGA screen and not retina, 256 MB isn't too little compared to the 4th Gen iPod Touch which showed that 256 MB is barely enough to push retina and the operating system.

But iOS 7 is more resource hungry. 256MB definitely not going to cut. Even with 512MB, Safari frequently reloading pages.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Because Apple wants you upgrade. By the way, which phone are you using. I think by the time my contract runs out on 2015, my phone will not even run any new apps. I am highly doubt iPhone 4S will get iOS 9, I want to, but not likely. Heck, it might not even get iOS 8

Technology moves on and people have to move with it or stay behind. As a matter of fact, Apple supporting a 3 year old phone with a new OS is impressive. Just have a look around and see how often the other phone brands/models get the latest OS.

bnnentertainmen

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
although the animations and graphics would be much smoother on the 5S but it doesnt mean that the iphone 5 (and below) dont run it well enough. they run it flawlessly, havent found any lags, low-quality graphics.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
But iOS 7 is more resource hungry. 256MB definitely not going to cut. Even with 512MB, Safari frequently reloading pages.

I'm using my 4S and if I remember correctly I didn't reload pages frequently, either on iOS 6 and 7 (on the first 3 betas there were problems with Safari, contantly refreshing and slow, after beta 4 it became a lot better)

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
although the animations and graphics would be much smoother on the 5S but it doesnt mean that the iphone 5 (and below) dont run it well enough. they run it flawlessly, havent found any lags, low-quality graphics.

I think iPhone 5 will be pretty future proof. It is the only iPhone so far that got a significant CPU and GPU upgrade combined with upgraded RAM (4s only got faster CPU/GPU but retained 512 mb of RAM, and the 4 only got upgraded RAM, with CPU and GPU staying identical to 3GS (only 200 MHz bump to CPU, and slight bump to GPU).

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
My turn, even though it's probably been mentioned.

64 /= Smoother O/S. An architectural change will bring bandwidth benefits, but for O/S animations, noope! Already been proven that iOS:7 will look and feel great on an iPhone 5.

Secondly, I don't expect Apple to make animations appear smoother on the new iPhone compared to the 5. E.g. the opening and closing apps will look the same as on iPhone 5.

What I would suspect will be that the 5s will be in a usable state faster than the 5 after an animation. But this won't be because of an architectural change.

Either way, the 5s will be overall faster and nippy device.

bnnentertainmen

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
I think iPhone 5 will be pretty future proof. It is the only iPhone so far that got a significant CPU and GPU upgrade combined with upgraded RAM (4s only got faster CPU/GPU but retained 512 mb of RAM, and the 4 only got upgraded RAM, with CPU and GPU staying identical to 3GS (only 200 MHz bump to CPU, and slight bump to GPU).

possible, but i own an iphone 5 ad havent seen any problems on it.

desithugsr

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2009
Wouldn't updating to the new 64-bit architecture require developers to overhaul their apps to support it? I am by no means a architecture expert, but it seems like there would be a significant gap between the current 32-bit apps vs. the potential for new ones.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Being "64-bit" doesn't make things smoother.

A slow 64-bit CPU would run like crap compared to a fast 32-bit processor.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
possible, but i own an iphone 5 ad havent seen any problems on it.

That's what I said :) . I own it too, and judging by some YouTube reviews of the 5 running iOS 7 beta it appears it is faster on 7 (beta) than on 6.
For ex. Sun spider scores are better, and web pages load faster. (And it beats all the competition there with 2013 hardware :) )

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
The funny thing is that 64bit processing has more overhead, and typically runs slower than 32bit... obviously you won't notice it due to the cpu being higher spec anyway... but being 64bit has no effect on speed, at least not a positive one

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
The funny thing is that 64bit processing has more overhead, and typically runs slower than 32bit... obviously you won't notice it due to the cpu being higher spec anyway... but being 64bit has no effect on speed, at least not a positive one

Please provide sources of this, I'd like to understand why because this is the first time I've ever heard of this.

64-bit ARMv8 chips are going to be faster than 32-bit ARMv7 chips at the same clock speed and also more power efficient because one, the overhauled/simplified instruction set that they're doing for ARMv8, in addition to more specialized hardware registers for hardware-accelerated tasks.

The simpler the instruction set, the quicker it can process stuff per clock.

bnnentertainmen

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
That's what I said :) . I own it too, and judging by some YouTube reviews of the 5 running iOS 7 beta it appears it is faster on 7 (beta) than on 6.
For ex. Sun spider scores are better, and web pages load faster. (And it beats all the competition there with 2013 hardware :) )

it beats all the competition there with 2013 hardware? really? wow:eek:

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Nice! I can totally understand people who are choosing to stick with their 5s but I've had my iPhone 4 for the past two years and it's feeling so old now. That's why I'll be first in line for a 5S. I'll probably go for the 6 as well when that comes out because it'd be another big upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.