iOS 7 reveals iMessage's are hogging my storage.

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by DC1408, Jun 25, 2013.

1. DC1408, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

macrumors newbie

Not sure if this has a resolve, but it's taking 5GB of my storage and I cannot delete/edit. I delete my message threads regularly.

Not sure if I'm having a naive moment, but I'm unable to free up the memory. I guess a factory wipe would resolve this, but it's not practical at the moment, albeit I'm willing to do for the storage.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors regular

Mine takes only 192MB.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, it's most likely because I didn't do a fresh install out of curiosity to see how the update functioned as a delta over a back up restore.. Concerning if it's unfixable as I will eventually run out of storage due to messages (must also back up attached images/vids) that I don't want nor need. I also can't iCloud backup as its too large by default.

4. macrumors 65816

kirky29

You know what, I noticed this too last week, my messages take up 1.9GB

Now I do send a lot of photos/video... I'd delete some conversations but well, I don't want too..

For some reason I was under the impression that iMessages sync to iCloud and only save a certain amount actually to the device and download the older messages as and when you scroll up to them... Slightly nerving thinking my messages are taking up so much valuable space!

5. macrumors regular

I updated OTA and didn't have any issues. That's just a myth.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Deleting conversations changes nothing, I delete mine regular. Only have 4 active conversations and as a thread goes, they're no more than a few days long.

7. macrumors 68000

DustinT

Where did you find this display of the size consumed by iMessage? I'd like to check my phone too.

8. macrumors 68020

bbfc

Settings > General > Usage. Wait for the top list to populate and tap Messages.

I had to tap of 'show all apps' for messages to show. Mine is 109mb.

Attached Files:

9. macrumors 6502

In my opinion this is the single biggest flaw in iOS and I'm surprised they still haven't addressed it.

As far as I can tell, every single photo and video sent or received via Messages is stored on your device forever, and there is no way to delete it!

My wife has to set up her phone as a new iPhone every few months because of this.

10. macrumors 68020

AbSoluTc

False.

You can delete anything sent/received in Messages.

My Messages take up 1 gig of space. I wish there was a nice way of backing up my messages honestly.

11. thread starter macrumors newbie

How do you delete them? I'm eager to free up my 5.7GB for something is can make use of. Deleting them through the message app does not free up the space, they seem to be backed up in the 'other' content.

12. phr0ze, Jun 25, 2013

macrumors 6502a

I have an app on my mac which backs up messages VERY well. It sucks all the pics/videos out and puts them into any folder in like 1 click. It also saves all messages into a database that you can browse later.

I have no interest in the company. I'm just saying this is what I use.
    http://www.backuptrans.com/iphone-sms-mms-extractor-for-mac.html

EDIT: They make a PC version too. And yes I found other software out there but most of them were a pain to get out pictures/videos (I had like 5 years of history). And some claimed they couldn't go back to older messages.

13. macrumors 68020

AbSoluTc

I have something similar. Just never really used it honestly.

----------

You delete them from within iMessage. It does delete them and reduces the storage. I did it on mine a few days ago.

14. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Perhaps you haven't been paying attention but the OP clearly identified (3 times) that he/she has deleted their messages, and yet they appear to be backed up on the device somehow. That is what Matt2053 was implying

15. macrumors 6502a

In iOS6 there use to be a clear all button. I suggest you delete all message threads, reboot, then report back.

Don't even save the 4.

16. DC1408, Jun 25, 2013

thread starter macrumors newbie

Attached are the screens shots showing all messages deleted, and evidence that the existing messages I had only took up 0.1GB, leaning towards the impression that my entire messaging history is saved and inaccessible for editing. I think! :D

Attached Files:

17. thread starter macrumors newbie

Attached Files:

18. macrumors 68020

AbSoluTc

Nope, not been paying attention at all. :rolleyes:

19. macrumors 6502a

You are right. I guess you were bitten by the restore from backup.

The backup must have the messages locked up. Without doing a full restore you could go to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Erase all Content and settings.

If you keep a backup you can always go back if its too drastic.

20. macrumors 68020

AbSoluTc

Before and after Messages were deleted. I restored my phone from the cloud after installing iOS 7 Beta 1.

Attached Files:

21. macrumors 6502a

Yep, it appears restoring from backup locks the messages into your phone. I wonder if a sync would help.

22. macrumors 6502

I thought this was an issue with IOS6. there are threads about pictures never being deleted even when imessage was. I don't think there was an easy way to see the size but I think this is left over and should get fixed.

23. macrumors 68040

chrf097

When I deleted all mine it went down drastically. I restored from a Backup via computer on iOS 7b1 then upgraded to iOS 7b2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Actually deleting the conversations do work. Last night I was at 1.7gb and after I deleted a bunch I'm now down to 900mb.

25. macrumors 65816

Simplicated

It's the attachments that are taking up your storage.