Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
Only if apple lets the user manually delete the cache for apps in the stock iOS.
The jailbreak tweak iCleaner is too useful. Deletes all unnecessary junk including some from the "Other" space.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Sometimes, Latest updates =/= best for your iDevice. Case in point: an iPhone 3G was never able to run iOS4. As soon as the next major iOS update is released (read: iOS 9), I'll guarantee you an iPhone 4S will not be able to run it; in fact, the 4S is very sluggish with 8.1.2/8.1.3 as is.

Also, IIRC, iOS 8.0.1, which was latest at that time, was pulled. Does that mean that everyone else on 8.0 defeated themselves by owning an iDevice?

BL.

8.0.1 was pulled because of issues outside of the patch itself with the downloader.

iProd

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2006
Boston
I am still on 8.1 on my 5S and iPad. That is how much I love my JB. nothing Apple can add is worth losing what I can do with my JB addons.

The very first thing I did with my Air 2 was to JB it :D I agree with the previous posters too, f.lux is a necessity that I couldn't live without.

Letmeinn

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2015
I can absolutely defitnetly say that when scrolling in Photos on the my 6 Plus in landscape, the scrolling is noticeably smoother and I dont get that scrolling lag you sometimes get anymore when scrolling fast in landscape, it is buttery smooth now, i noticed it when i was looking at all my vacation photos I defitnetly noticed it and am pleased

Photos app as a whole is a bit snappier and a bit more fluid on my 6 Plus on 8.1.3, i defitnetly have noticed this for sure

h4ck

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
millions of people jailbreak too.

If you want "open", then you have that option on the Android side of the fence. Stop trying to impose your own values onto a platform that is tremendously successful at remaining stable, consistent and a pleasure to use for millions of users. Jailbreaking may indeed add functionality, but not always in a consistent, reliable way. It's that uncertainty that Apple is smart to steer clear of. The Android "experience" is a mess... I challenge you to prove otherwise.

----------

i think the problem is, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. you are ignorant to the things that people do with jailbreaking, and their reasoning, and so your cognitive bias lets you think you're right, without realizing that you are basically clueless to the reasons and things people do with jailbreaking.

it's not about making it "hardly resemble and iphone anymore" there is a LOT of functionality that is missing from iOS that is based solely on keeping the lowest common denominator fed.

here's a perfect example of why i jailbreak: Apple imposes a very arbitrary memory limit on what 3rd party keyboards can use. it's like, 25 megs or something (i don't recall at this moment) -- since iOS manages memory itself, it's really pretty useless to limit a 3rd party keyboard to this low of memory, if an app needs more it will kill off old running processes. however, because of this limit 3rd party keyboards often have issues related to memory usage. with a jailbroken iPhone, i can remove Apple's senseless limit and increase the available memory for 3rd party keyboards, so that issues (such as a blank grey keyboard popping up, or the keyboard randomly crashing with the memory limit is hit) go away. that's one reason.

security? well, i immediately shell in to my phone and change the root password which is known by everyone. that's *more* secure than leaving it at the default.

you might be surprised to know that about 80% of the things implemented in iOS versions from like, 5 and on are all things that homebrew developers created and apple copied. *millions* of people jailbreak their phones. that isn't a negligible market. quickreply, multi-tasking, notification center toggles, hell even picture messaging for that matter is something apple left out and jailbreak developers put in. woefully ignorant to say that what apple makes is "good enough". and what do you mean "stick with android"? i started with the first iPhone, and jailbroke the first iOS version actually.

sometimes it's best to not respond to a post if you don't really know anything about the subject.

I don't understand those who spend big bucks on a iPhone, only to turn around and jailbreak it with apps, where it doesn't even hardly resemble an iPhone anymore. Why not stick with Android if one dislikes the OS enough to want to change it all the time? And then many of the jailbreakers complain when Apple betters their OS, because they can't jailbreak and are stuck.

It is like someone buying a BMW, and then taking it to the shop to get completely redone, where it looks like and sounds like a VW Bug on the inside.

leroypants

Suspended
Jul 17, 2010
I don't understand those who spend big bucks on a iPhone, only to turn around and jailbreak it with apps, where it doesn't even hardly resemble an iPhone anymore. Why not stick with Android if one dislikes the OS enough to want to change it all the time? And then many of the jailbreakers complain when Apple betters their OS, because they can't jailbreak and are stuck.

It is like someone buying a BMW, and then taking it to the shop to get completely redone, where it looks like and sounds like a VW Bug on the inside.

If i want to view itunes video content I have paid for the only option is a iphone. Apple has refused to give users the option to disable the notification center. Jailbreaking a phone gives me the option to disable the notification center.

Otis Bagotis

macrumors member
May 9, 2013
The one and only reason I jailbreak is to make my lock screen somewhat useful. I like having a to-do list that shows up directly on my lock screen so I can see what I need to get done each day and I can mark them off without going in to the Reminders App. I don't like the default way that iOS handles Reminders in the Notification Center.

I don't jailbreak to make my phone look like an Android or to pirate apps. I make decent money and can pay for my software just fine, but there are certain things that iOS doesn't do as well as it should and for people to defend Apple in that regard is just weird to me.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
The term Jailbreak in itself means that some body broke out. How is that secure?
And nothing is impossible. I wouldn't say that a jail broken phone is 100% bullet proof.

Except the exploits used for a jailbreak obviously exist on a non-jailbroken phone as well. All jailbreaking does is give root access to the owner, nothing more.

iProd

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2006
Boston
Except the exploits used for a jailbreak obviously exist on a non-jailbroken phone as well. All jailbreaking does is give root access to the owner, nothing more.

Until Apple releases an update that plugs these holes ;) But this is correct.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
After hacking every Android device in the last 5 years I'm pretty much finished with the rooting/unlocked bootloader game. I got tired of "playing" around with my phone instead of "playing" with my phone. I was crack flashing roms every other day until I realized that I was wasting time.
Today I just want stable software running the latest version.

Reminds me of myself 10 years ago when I was making custom Slackware machines and recompiling kernels all the time. Then i got a Mac and realized Apple already made the ultimate Unix-based OS and I could get on with my life...

Kirb112

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2013
I just want my phone to work, and thus far, the 3rd party keyboards are working way better... hoping for the rough edges to be smoothed. I used to care a lot about jailbreaking, but with every release of iOS, there has been less and less reason to do so...

You hit the nail on the head. So many jailbreak features that that I used to use are built into iOS now. There are only a few more things that I would like to see Apple build into in to their iOS, but that list is small enough to make me prefer the security of a non-jailbroken device.

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
ROTFL! Open source iOS. Yeah, right. People want customisation THAT much they should go to Android. This is the platform that allows near infinite customisation and custom ROMS.

They open iOS it would force me back to Android. I switched to iOS with my iPhone 6 for every reason iOS is different. They offer an excellent service out of the box for me. I'm not gonna jailbreak just cause I can.

Don't go knocking Apple for fixing security holes/exploits. They always have done and Jailbreak has always found a way. 'Sides, if you're already jailbroken you won't be updating so no big.

Couple of custom Widgets in today view, my own ringtone and that's all the customisation I need. Good on Apple for this. My experience has been nothing but positive since making the switch.

bakron1

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2010
The only thing I would like to see in the future would be a call blocking feature with a wild card option to block 800, 877 and 866 numbers. The telemarketing folks are targeting my cell more and more lately.

Artmuzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
If the authors of Activator were to release Activator in the Apple AppStore then I wouldn't need to jailbreak. I only jailbreak so I can use the volume buttons as track skip buttons when listening to music on my iPhone 6 plus.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
That's the real solution, if done right ....

IMO, most of the people wanting a jailbreak for their iPhone are frustrated because they have something they want to do with their device that Apple artificially restricts apps from doing right now.

Leaving a security hole in the operating system isn't the "best answer" for how to address things, though.

If Apple can allow developers more flexibility with Apple-sanctioned support for extensions and the like, then the problem essentially solves itself.

(There are a few exceptions where Apple policy alone prevents something from getting done too, such as running a Bitcoin wallet on the phone. While annoying, these aren't "deal breaker" issues for me that would cause me to switch to Android and put up with a whole different set of issues and frustrations.)

They don’t have an incentive to do it. The current model has worked pretty well for them, supported, among other things, by the latest sales numbers. At least they have been expanding the system somewhat with Extensibility, so I’m sure will see more of that this year.

h4ck

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
Correct. Apple should turn it's back on 18 billion dollars and focus on pleasuring the jailbreaking community. People who've never paid a dime for software in their lives. That's a brilliant idea.

i'd be willing to put money on the fact that i've spent *WAY* more money on software than you ever have in your entire life, and my phone is jailbroken. i buy apps on the app store, i buy tweaks and things on the cydia store.
being jailbroken just gives me another avenue to purchase cool things that i find useful.

iProd

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2006
Boston
This thread made me remember that, although I love Apple computers and devices, I can't stand the single-mindedness and ignorance of some of its users. But what can you do besides try and educate them, as fruitless :apple: as it is :)

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
Wtf are you talking about, jailbreaking doesn't make your device any less secure and it's impossible to destroy via jailbreaking, you are beyond misinformed.

If you have a little bigger brain, you would understand that jailbreaking will open up the vulnerability for iDevice to be infected by malware. I jailboke and unlocked my 3GS and when I updated to iOS 6, it destroyed the phone after I did the god damn reset. If you don't know anything about jailbreaking and reset issue, I advise you to do the search online before coming back here to act like an idiot.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
If you have a little bigger brain, you would understand that jailbreaking will open up the vulnerability for iDevice to be infected by malware. I jailboke and unlocked my 3GS and when I updated to iOS 6, it destroyed the phone after I did the god damn reset. If you don't know anything about jailbreaking and reset issue, I advise you to do the search online before coming back here to act like an idiot.

You would have to interactively approve such hardware to be installed, if done at all, so your problem is a PEBKAC issue, not a fault of any vulnerability.

It is also plainly obvious that you do not know how security works, especially in regards to vulnerabilities and patching of such vulnerabilities. There is absolutely nothing wrong with exposing the vulnerability, reporting the vulnerability to the vendor, providing a proof of concept of said vulnerability, and waiting for the vendor to patch said vulnerability. And when the vulnerability is patched, disclosure of the vulnerability is made.

Good example of this is the GHOST vulnerability in GLIBC, recently discovered by Qualsys labs. They discovered the vulnerability, the potential for impact, provided a patch for the vulnerability to the GLIBC team, which they verified that hte patch worked, and released an updated version of the source code for that library.

And since virtually every Linux distro uses glibc, those distributions also needed to update. When that update was made public, they disclosed the vulnerability, as well as the availability of a patch, reducing the chances of damage done due to the vulnerability.

That is what has happened with 8.1.3, although it took Apple longer to provide the release, as their QA and developer process takes a lot longer than something like GNU software.

In the future it may be better to know what you are talking about before criticizing the capacity of other people's brains.

Disclaimer: I am a Linux Sysadmin.

BL.

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
Disclaimer: I am a Linux Sysadmin.
BL.

Well that explains why all of this jailbreak talk doesn't make you hide under the blankets with the lights off. :rolleyes:

I'm in the same boat as you. Here's a jailbreak is "less secure" cherry: I had CVE-2014-1266 fixed on my jailbroken devices at least a week before Apple released iOS 7.0.6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.