Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Why fix something that already works perfectly? I’m having no trouble with either. 8.1.3 is quite stable no matter what the League of the Perpetually Dissatisfied says.

I wish I could say I have had a consistently good experience with Handoff/Continuity even before my most recent hangup with it.

Right now, I can't get it to work at all. I reinstalled OS X last week to reclaim some hard drive space (apparently if you run file-vault, you can't reclaim space from a boot camp volume you no longer use ... long story). Anyway, I can't get Handoff and Continuity to work anymore between my Mac and iPhone. It did work more or less alright before the reformat. Yes, I've tried logging out of iCloud and logging back in, ensured the settings were where they were supposed to be according to the help files out there. Basically, I'm stumped.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Fingers crossed that 8.2 allows my 1000+ game collection to exist on my 6 Plus without the home screen itself being non-functional... to the point of triggering a boot loop every time you swipe past page 3 or try to change wallpaper.

(My iPhone 5 never had a problem handling that many icons... it ought to be solvable. But on the 6 Plus people have been resorting to deleting one game at a time until the thing stops crashing. Fresh install with the same number of apps crashes too, so it's not a corrupt backup. Oddly, the number of apps that "kills" a 6 Plus seems to vary. And the 128 seems to be affected more often--but my 64 suffers the same. For now, I keep just 3 pages of apps and live crash-free... but without my game library to enjoy on the big screen.)

I believe this problem is rare because having more than a few hundred apps is rare. (Keeping my games--and my game PROGRESS--is the only reason I need 64 GB to begin with.) But if it bites you, it bites hard! Apple doesn't need an OS that works in common cases--it needs an OS that works! If it can't handle many apps, then don't allow them to be installed... but 1000 apps used to work fine.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why fix something that already works perfectly? I’m having no trouble with either. 8.1.3 is quite stable no matter what the League of the Perpetually Dissatisfied says.
Dear Apple, never mind this guy. WiFi works fine on my iPhone 6 so don’t go breaking something that works for the vast majority.
Because that's not really how bugs work a lot of the time--they might affect certain configurations or come up in certain situations. Just because you don't run into them doesn't mean they don't exist just because of that or shouldn't be fixed (or that fixing them would somehow likely break something for you).

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
AppleWatch Support, new Emoji picker...

AppleWatch Support, new Emoji picker...
How about fixing all those pesky bugs carrying on since iOS 7 and then some real useful features that would improve productivity?

LessO2

macrumors regular
May 20, 2012
I'm still waiting for the Sprint-exclusive iPhone 5 that BGR was adamant was going to happen.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Soooooo....

IOS 8.2 will release on March 2nd...

...or it won't.

Gotcha.

Maybe its me, but I don't remember Apple releasing on a Monday or having their events on a Monday. And sending the invite two weeks outs...

Is it just me? Or has Apple changed their strategy here?

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Dear Apple, please fix the dropping wifi issue with iPhone 6. Thank you.

Not everyone seems to be having this issue.

- Does it happen at other locations with other access points too?
- Could it be with certain brand or model of access point?
- Have you tried resetting your network settings on your iPhone 6?
- Are you connecting at 5.6 Ghz or 2.4 Ghz? At 2.4 Ghz, some devices (specially old ones) may interfere: Microwaves, Cordless phones, blah, blah blah.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Maybe its me, but I don't remember Apple releasing on a Monday or having their events on a Monday. And sending the invite two weeks outs...

Things have certainly come out on Mondays before. Not sure about events but there likely have been some before as well. And as for invitations, they've had them sent out a couple of weeks before events in the past as well.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

as far as I remember software updates tend to get released on Mondays 7pm GMT+1 (?)

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
Placebo ?

Or real bug fixes ?

Now with a new reputation as the Buggiest Unstable Mobile iOS of all, does Apple Really want to lose that prestigious image ?

/sarcasm

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
Not everyone seems to be having this issue.

- Does it happen at other locations with other access points too?
- Could it be with certain brand or model of access point?
- Have you tried resetting your network settings on your iPhone 6?
- Are you connecting at 5.6 Ghz or 2.4 Ghz? At 2.4 Ghz, some devices (specially old ones) may interfere: Microwaves, Cordless phones, blah, blah blah.

Your logic is useless here. All of the sudden, Apple is expected to work with every router made since 1996. Unfortunately, that's the market size that the iPhone has expanded into. Of course there will be configurations it won't excel in. There is no way to test against that many possibilities. If only Apple made their own router that it was tested against.....

eyehop

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Activating airdrop F's up my mouse's bluetooth connection. Have to turn wifi off to use it. Cray cray, Apple, fix that.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Fingers crossed that 8.2 allows my 1000+ game collection to exist on my 6 Plus without the home screen itself being non-functional... to the point of triggering a boot loop every time you swipe past page 3 or try to change wallpaper.

(My iPhone 5 never had a problem handling that many icons... it ought to be solvable. But on the 6 Plus people have been resorting to deleting one game at a time until the thing stops crashing. Fresh install with the same number of apps crashes too, so it's not a corrupt backup. Oddly, the number of apps that "kills" a 6 Plus seems to vary. And the 128 seems to be affected more often--but my 64 suffers the same. For now, I keep just 3 pages of apps and live crash-free... but without my game library to enjoy on the big screen.)

I believe this problem is rare because having more than a few hundred apps is rare. (Keeping my games--and my game PROGRESS--is the only reason I need 64 GB to begin with.) But if it bites you, it bites hard! Apple doesn't need an OS that works in common cases--it needs an OS that works! If it can't handle many apps, then don't allow them to be installed... but 1000 apps used to work fine.

Wow, 1000 games, must be smallish games I expect? Considering you can put what 100 apps max (with folders) per screen, that's 10 screen completely full of apps. Guess your using spotlight to find your stuff hey ;-).

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Things have certainly come out on Mondays before. Not sure about events but there likely have been some before as well. And as for invitations, they've had them sent out a couple of weeks before events in the past as well.

as far as I remember software updates tend to get released on Mondays 7pm GMT+1 (?)

So, then what you're saying is that it is indeed me. Okay then, thanks for confirming that it is time for me to start my weekend and have a few drinks. :cool:

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Your logic is useless here. All of the sudden, Apple is expected to work with every router made since 1996. Unfortunately, that's the market size that the iPhone has expanded into. Of course there will be configurations it won't excel in. There is no way to test against that many possibilities. If only Apple made their own router that it was tested against.....

What in the world are you talking about? Do you really understand what you read?
I'm just giving some pointers to the user having the problem.
I never implied Apple should make their phone work with crappy routers out there. Before you panic or have a seizure, please make sure you understand what you read.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Could be but the other two phones we use in the car don't have any issues. It only started when I went from my 5S to my 6+.

I had issues with my Subaru Forester when I changed from iPhone 5 to iPHone 6 (same phone name). I removed the device from the pairing on the car.

Or so I thought... There was a pairing for the BT-audio and one for the phone. Only once I removed both, could I add my phone back and have a truly worry free connection.

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
Yeah.

The text/call iPhone-Mac thing works pretty good. Airdrop is hit or miss. But Handoff & Continuity I think I only got it working once.

Also, fix the 3rd party Keyboard situation already!

I can totally relate and agree here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.