Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Unbelievable. The example I've been using while showing off my new Apple Watch is that I was able to walk into my home after receiving it at work, and play a song using the watch from my library without any further effort. I'm pretty much fed up with Apple's ******** moves.
My guess is that it is a licensing issue.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Because you are not download your version. You're download the Apple Music version. Your Library before AM should remain intact as long as you didn't delete your original copies.
Plus, with the new match, uploading your songs then downloading them, you'll find they have DRM on them.
Do you expect any streaming service to offer songs without DRM?

jfroy99

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015
I only used my iPad original for listen music from Home Sharing in my kitchen. This iPad was perfect for that.
Now, unable to update the Music app.
How can I listen my music library from my Macbook to my iPad? I don't know.
Apple : arghhhhhh!!!!!

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
I like my macs, but Apple's greed and lack of innovation made me switch to an android phone a year ago....I've never looked back. not a single regret.
How coincidental. At the same time you dropped Apple for Google you signed up for a Macrumors account. You would think someone who made such switch would also move to an Android site.

Tom620

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2011
Streaming my music from my Synology Diskstation NAS since 2010. The money I save with this, I invest in my next NAS. No money for you Tim!

soupnazi.jpg

aced411

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Streaming my music from my Synology Diskstation NAS since 2010. The money I save with this, I invest in my next NAS. No money for you Tim!

soupnazi.jpg

So you spend $600 every 5 years for your own home sharing solution? As opposed to paying $600 for 5 years of Apple Music with the added benefit of cloud access and 30 million available tracks? ;)

Reactions: DaveN

GrahamSL

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015
UK
Taking away features is not inherently bad, over time it's positively essential. However, it has to be the right features for the right reasons. You'll always upset *somebody* no matter which feature you take away, but if something is only used by 1% of your users (for example), then sooner or later, upsetting that 1% is worth it.

This is fine in principle, but if you need to remove a feature, give your users plenty of notice so they can plan around it. Don't just drop the feature without warning, especially without even bothering to put it in the release notes.

Tom620

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2011
So you spend $600 every 5 years for your own home sharing solution? As opposed to paying $600 for 5 years of Apple Music with the added benefit of cloud access and 30 million available tracks? ;)

I think you should look into the additional possibilities of a NAS, it's my personal cloud for almost everything :)

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Still works on my PC & MacBook with iTunes 12.2. They probably don't want unlicensed-audience broadcast by hooking an iPhone/iPod Touch up on a WiFi network that isn't yours and sharing your stuff to a group. The RIAA doesn't like that -- wouldn't be surprised if they were somehow involved. Laptops being exempt, Windows-10 7" tablets will likely see an uptick in sales amongst devoted iTunes users ;-)

First reply that I read that makes any sense. People seem to overreact here. The article was clear that you cannot share from the phone. But my catalog is on my computer and I can share from there. I suspect that the number of folks sharing from their phones using Home Sharing was very limited and so Apple either prioritized that very low (why it did not make it in this build) or just decided it was not worth doing at all. You also make a valid point that there could also be licensing issues here that may be influencing this.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Nobody needs Home Sharing anymore. Now is the right time to retire it.

Well if you have an Apple music family license doesn't it do the same thing? Plus it's a great way for Apple to profit from some customers that otherwise might have not used their new service.

Who knows it might come back, but I could see Apple doing a few small things like this to help build their new music service.

GrahamSL

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015
UK
First reply that I read that makes any sense. People seem to overreact here. The article was clear that you cannot share from the phone. But my catalog is on my computer and I can share from there. I suspect that the number of folks sharing from their phones using Home Sharing was very limited and so Apple either prioritized that very low (why it did not make it in this build) or just decided it was not worth doing at all. You also make a valid point that there could also be licensing issues here that may be influencing this.

This might be an issue of semantics, or I might be misinterpreting what you've written, but have you ever been able to share the music on your phone with other users on the same network? It sounds like you believe that what has been pulled is the ability for an iOS user to be able to share the music on their phone with others on the network...

Reactions: phairphan and Arran

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
It's audience broadcasting -- playing music for groups of people. There's a licensing fee involved, companies like Muzak (now Mood Media) have to pay it to provide music listened to in a public space. Technically, if a restaurant or someplace similar installs a music system and plays reorded music not from a Musak-type service over it, they're supposed to pay a licensing fee too.

You don't actually own your 'purchased music' -- you own a license to listen to it for personal use -- especially true if you purchased it online -- outlined in the 50 pages of stuff we all clicked through to set up our accounts. When you go, your eMusic collection goes with you -- you can't will it to someone like a physical CD/LP/Tape music collection.

No, I do own my music. Almost all of it. I purchased cd's.

Reactions: jyroflux

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
This might be an issue of semantics, or I might be misinterpreting what you've written, but have you ever been able to share the music on your phone with other users on the same network? It sounds like you believe that what has been pulled is the ability for an iOS user to be able to share the music on their phone with others on the network...
Agreed. I don't think it's ever been possible to share music from an iPhone to other devices over the local network with home sharing.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
iOS 8.4 is jittery on A7 devices. It shouldn't be jittery on a clean install of ANY A7 device.

They've raved about the new music app, so it should be a better app. Instead it is missing at least on feature which Apple should have written in the release notes.

If you've not noticed, Apple makes it very hard to switch to other platforms. Overall many people also prefer the apple platform. however Apple has decided time and time again to release new apps with missing functionality that it has not informed users about. iOS 8 is a shambles and that is refelcted in the higher crash rate, ect.

A company like Apple should be able to release new software that is not buggy and that includes all the functionality of the software it replaces.

People who just accept dick moves from Apple just add to the sense that can get away with anything.
I can't comment on the performance of 8.4 on A7 devices, but I will say this. 8.3 was kind of jittery on my iPhone 6... after playing with iOS 9 for a while, I decided to go back to 8.3 by doing a clean install as new, and I haven't experienced performance like this since the iPhone 5 on iOS 6. 8.4 runs just as well, too. I did this on Monday, and there are only 18 entries in my Diagnostics and Usage log- I was getting dozens of entries per day on 8.3 prior to updating my phone to iOS 9. I'm no expert, but I think the earlier versions of iOS 8 were so awful that their negative effects persist until you set up a device as new on at least 8.3 or 8.4. iOS 9 is much more promising than iOS 8 ever was, so I think Apple learned their lesson on releasing half-polished software.

Now, regarding the music app, I think it is a much better app in 8.4. That is of course because I'm actually using Apple Music. The ability to ask Siri to play any song in the Apple Music library while I'm driving is a game changer for me. I imagine that someone who doesn't plan on Apple Music (and especially someone who uses home sharing) would have mixed feelings about 8.4 at best, and I understand that. But my point is, it is a vastly more useful app for many people, so you really can't say that it is objectively a worse app than it used to be.

Apple doesn't make it any harder to switch to Android than Google makes it harder to switch to iOS. As long as you have your iTunes library, it's a trivial task to move whatever songs you want onto an Android device. If you use Apple Music, that's coming out for Android soon. If you use any other streaming service, you're good to go right now. No matter which platform you're on, you have to pay for apps all over again. Neither Apple or Google make it artificially more difficult to switch platforms, it's just the nature of the beast.

And if you keep buying Apple products despite your concerns, you're letting Apple know that you're accepting their dick moves. Apple devices do everything I want them to do, so don't rely on me to rally for your cause. I understand and sympathize with your concerns, but you need to be the one to vote with your wallet, just as I would vote with mine if Apple took away significant features that I depend on.

GrahamSL

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015
UK
Well if you have an Apple music family license doesn't it do the same thing?

In some use cases, perhaps.

If you don't care about listening to your lossless and/or high-res music library without it being downgraded to AAC, possibly.

If you're happy to pay almost £1800 over the next ten years to listen to all the music you already own, on your iPhone/iPad in your own home, maybe.

Reactions: jhwalker

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Home Sharing is coming back; it got pulled temporarily because of the delay in updating Apple TV.

When that's out, Home Sharing will return to iOS devices, but in a new app.
Is that your guess (which is fine) or do you have a source for that claim?

Nobody needs Home Sharing anymore. Now is the right time to retire it.

Same question as above.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Just because you're not aware of it doesn't mean a lot of us with 16GB iPhones shouldn't care. We now can't stream our own 100+GB Music library in our own homes. Apple is forcing us to buy larger cap iPhone/iPads to keep more Music available at a moments notice or pay for subscriptions (Match, AppleMusic) , whereas before I could stream my entire library for free from my office into my bedroom or downstairs workshop. Thanks Apple! and goodbye.

Why not just continue to use home sharing from iTunes, which still works?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Why not just continue to use home sharing from iTunes, which still works?
Because you can't connect to shared libraries from an iOS device with 8.4 on it. It looks like Apple is transitioning to the iCloud Music library, which is fine if you subscribe to Apple music. However, you don't get access to iCloud music library without subscribing (from what I can see), so there's no way of accessing your iTunes music that's not on your device unless you're an Apple Music subscriber

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.