Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
I was using the new Music app on the way home from work (using Bluetooth in my car) and I noticed that the entire phone had a 2 second lag between doing anything like switching apps, hitting the home button, tapping an icon. Everything seemed like there was a massive delay. I restarted my iPhone and it seems to be working now, but is anyone else having this kind of lagging? I've never seen my iPhone behave so slow before.

Could it be that there's a memory leak in the new music app?

Crooks

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012
CALIFORNIA!
Yes, I have had the same issue so far on my iPhone 6...could it be because apps and everything is being indexed?

I'll give it a day or two

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
It just happened again. Everything cleared up as soon as I force quit the music app. It seems to be fine until I've played a handful of songs.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
iOS 8.4 on iPad Air 2 is a total mess. I'm getting the same 2-3 second lag to get the screen to light up. Apple music app touch targets are a joke, just try tapping for you and it'll pause or play because you have to touch the very bottom of the icon. Also lags all over the place. Exiting the app causes extreme stuttering when scrolling for about 5-10 seconds after. Once again Apple does not give two craps about iPad stability. And this piece of garbage was in beta for 6 weeks. Once again....does anyone at Apple use this crap before it gets to the public?

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
iOS 8.4 on iPad Air 2 is a total mess. I'm getting the same 2-3 second lag to get the screen to light up. Apple music app touch targets are a joke, just try tapping for you and it'll pause or play because you have to touch the very bottom of the icon. Also lags all over the place. Exiting the app causes extreme stuttering when scrolling for about 5-10 seconds after. Once again Apple does not give two craps about iPad stability. And this piece of garbage was in beta for 6 weeks. Once again....does anyone at Apple use this crap before it gets to the public?

Same thing is happening on my iPhone.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida

I was worried I was the only one lol

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
I'm restoring my iPhone 6 to 8.4 fresh. I won't revert to a backup and I'll test the music app again. Wish me luck.

sahilpatel12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Merica
same , its lagging a little and sometimes it just doesnt do anything like it opens the music app but it wont do anything when clicking and i have to restart my iphone

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Okay, I tested a brand new clean install and it still lagged after playing music for 5-10 minutes. I'm going back to 8.3 then. Oh well.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Here is a video I just made reproducing all the stuttering and lag on iPad. Please share it. This needs to get fixed.

Nice video! Those are the same lags I'm experiencing on the iPhone 6. I guess it's not just the iPad with this problem. Maybe it has something to do with the newer devices. Seems like iPhone 5s users aren't experiencing the lag.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Nice video! Those are the same lags I'm experiencing on the iPhone 6. I guess it's not just the iPad with this problem. Maybe it has something to do with the newer devices. Seems like iPhone 5s users aren't experiencing the lag.
My 5S is not experiencing any issues. Ironic they aren't testing properly on new devices. It's hilarious how this stuff gets passed up in QA

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
I just tried to dup this on my IP6 and it seems fine. I'll try my IPA2 now.

I only found it to be an issue when playing music for like 10 minutes. I also tried exiting music and opening other apps and going back to music again. It seems to have issues going back and forth between music and other apps.

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
I only found it to be an issue when playing music for like 10 minutes. I also tried exiting music and opening other apps and going back to music again. It seems to have issues going back and forth between music and other apps.

I played music for 20 minutes to test. I did't completely exit Music, I just switched back to the home screen, scrolled around home screens, opened and closed a couple of apps, went back to music, opened and closed mini-player a couple of times, changed between albums, artists, and songs, and called it quits with no strangeness.

joshisaboss

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2013
Earth
Funny, my iPad Air (2013) is running better than under 8.3, the lag is basically non-existent. Must be a issue with A8 devices then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.