Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_8_adoption_5jan14.jpg
Since launching in September alongside the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, iOS 8 has seen its adoption rate grow to 68 percent of compatible iOS devices, according to new numbers posted on the Apple Developer Support page.

With Apple updating data publicly every few weeks, this latest data point represents a four percentage point bump in adoption since the last update on December 23. The significant increase highlights Apple's strong performance in device activation numbers over the holidays to add to the company's iOS 8 user base.

Over the longer term, installation numbers are up 5 percentage points over the past month and up 12 percentage points in the past two months. iOS 7 usage has seen an understandable decline as its successor has gained ground, with the older operating system dropping from 33 percent in December to 29 percent in January. Earlier iOS versions represent just 4 percent of the current App Store user base.

Apple initially faced multiple issues following iOS 8's launch, including what has progressed to a lawsuit over storage space needed to install the OS on smaller GB devices, but the adoption rate has steadily increased as users have decided to upgrade and purchases of devices with iOS 8 preinstalled have increased.

Apple has brought a number of bug fixes and addressed some more significant flaws with recent updates such as iOS 8.1, iOS 8.1.1, and iOS 8.1.2. The company is also continuing to work on iOS 8.2, seeding a third beta to developers in mid-December. In addition to bug fixes and other improvements, iOS 8.2 will include support for integrating with the upcoming Apple Watch.

Article Link: iOS 8 Now Installed on 68 Percent of Active iOS Devices

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I take great pleasure still being on iOS 7.1.2. I will never put the garbage that is iOS 8 on my iPhone 5S.

Still rockin iOS 6 on my iPad 3, too. Will never upgrade that either.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Naturally the number will go up as new devices come with iOS 8 pre-installed. Be interesting what the number would be if people got the choice to downgrade to 7.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wow, a little surprising given some of the bugs people have been complaining about. For me its been stable, so I have no complaints

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I take great pleasure still being on iOS 7.1.2. I will never put the garbage that is iOS 8 on my iPhone 5S.

Why? running iOS 8 without any issues on a 5s.

What are you worried about.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
Wow, a little surprising given some of the bugs people have been complaining about. For me its been stable, so I have no complaints

Being on it and being happy with it are two totally different things, this is especially true when Apple does not allow you to do anything about it.

Have to upgrade to know that you hate it.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location

Similar to mine. Except 5s is still on 7.0.6 because I hated the tiny end call button and Ive's obsession of circles.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Similar to mine. Except 5s is still on 7.0.6 because I hated the tiny end call button and Ive's obsession of circles.

Yea me too. 7.0.6 was more like iOS 6. I liked that, but I didn't like the slow animations on that build.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

Same here…. not sure why anyone would stay on iOS7 at this point??? We have iOS8 on an iPhone 5, 6 and iPad II with no issues on any of them.

I get the impression there's a very vocal minority that wants to just trash on anything Apple without any merit behind their rants.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Same happens every year. People championing the fact they are on iOS x-1.

Apparently being one behind is cool.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
This is a pointless statistic if there ever was one.

It's as if people buying apple devices over the holidays had any choice in the matter of OS, and picked 8, and could change it to a different one if they wanted to but kept it because it's so wonderful.

No, no, and no.

That's a sizable percentage of users who will not install it.

Last edited:

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009

If you're going to go with that angle... why would you put 6 and 7 in the same group?

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
This is a pointless statistic if there ever was one.

It's as if people buying devices over the holidays had any choice in the matter and chose IOS 8, and could change it to a different one if they wanted to.

No, no, and no.

I doubt it would make much difference, less than 1%.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Many people feel iOS7 was pure garbage.

Really? I don't recall an iOS 7 update taking away core elements from the phone (cough touch id and cellular capabilities).

Anybody who is going to defend iOS 8 to me has zero credibility in my book.

Last edited:

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
My step dad is still on ios6 on an active iPhone 4. Where is he on that chart.
Edit: nevermind, I just saw the sliver marked "earlier" LOL

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here

I think anybody that has visited MacRumors in the past year is aware of your stance on this matter...

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007

Same here brother. I've got an iPhone 5S which will always stay on iOS 7 and an iPhone 4 that's running iOS 6. I'm probably going to wait for the iPhone 7S so the next iOS I'll have is iOS 11 if it follows the current release cycle.

wiredup72

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
iOS 8 running fine on my 6. Wish I didn't install it on my late iPad 2.

After seeing how many people in my family with iPads and iphone 4's and 4s, I think iOS 8 may end up being Apple's Vista. I know my family is hesitant to buy anymore iOS products. Only the data will tell over the next few years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.