Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samh92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2016
U.K. Essex
I know there is a few threads on this but most seem to be for the iPhone 6s.

My iPhone 6 is suffering extremely bad from battery drain since iOS 9.2.1 it will literally drop from 80%-70%-51% and so on within a matter of minutes. Yesterday while on a long journey I decided to use my phone as a satnav, 100% charged when left then an hour into the journey it was on 40% then quickly went to 17%. I plugged it in to charge and while charging it went down to 9% which I thought was bizarre then it shot up to charge to 52% and proceeded to charge. All in all yesterday I had to connect my phone to power about 5-6 times as it kept dropping rapidly.

I've been trying to look into this and have changed the time zone to automatic which so far it's been going down in single digits which is good, it's not dropping as fast, I've gone from 100% down to 89% in around 50mins of use. Baring in mind I'm in the middle of the country side at the moment with no 3 or 4g and only E so I guess using 11% in that time would be classed as normal.

Hopefully Apple release 9.3 soon with a fix and/or hopefully this time zone change has fixed the issue I and many others are facing.

Anyone else with an iPhone 6 had similar problems?

Imac Sam

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
Harrisonburg, Virginia
I know there is a few threads on this but most seem to be for the iPhone 6s.

My iPhone 6 is suffering extremely bad from battery drain since iOS 9.2.1 it will literally drop from 80%-70%-51% and so on within a matter of minutes. Yesterday while on a long journey I decided to use my phone as a satnav, 100% charged when left then an hour into the journey it was on 40% then quickly went to 17%. I plugged it in to charge and while charging it went down to 9% which I thought was bizarre then it shot up to charge to 52% and proceeded to charge. All in all yesterday I had to connect my phone to power about 5-6 times as it kept dropping rapidly.

I've been trying to look into this and have changed the time zone to automatic which so far it's been going down in single digits which is good, it's not dropping as fast, I've gone from 100% down to 89% in around 50mins of use. Baring in mind I'm in the middle of the country side at the moment with no 3 or 4g and only E so I guess using 11% in that time would be classed as normal.

Hopefully Apple release 9.3 soon with a fix and/or hopefully this time zone change has fixed the issue I and many others are facing.

Anyone else with an iPhone 6 had similar problems?

Sound likes to me that your battery is failing. You should take it to an Apple store and have it checked out. We just replaced my daughter's yesterday under Applecare. We got a brand new phone, with no additional cost.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
If you have a Mac, download Coconut Battery. It will tell you the health of your battery. If its below 80%, its time for a new battery.

Samh92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2016
U.K. Essex
Unfortunately I don't own a Mac.

Although a slight update, I'm back home now in the city with signal and my phone seems to be holding a much better rate. I'll know for sure tomorrow when I'm back at work how it holds up. It does seem to have improved since changing the automatic timezone.

I don't have Apple care and the phone is well out of its 1 year warrantee now.

Will probably hold out for the iPhone 7 when its released later on in the year hopefully.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
I very much hope that the drain issue of your iPhone will be solved this or that way.
Fortunately, I have a different experience with battery life on 9.2.1. It seems to be much better than it was on 8.3 (with the same settings).
Good luck!

Samh92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2016
U.K. Essex
Update today so far half way through my working day and my battery is at 70% so I believe it's all sorted now.

macdop

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
I've also had a significant drop in battery life, both with my 6S, and my 3rd generation iPad. The iPad was recently reset and restored as a new device, I left it on my desk, and from a full charge it went to 0% (or whatever % is too low to start up) in three days. Something is definitely up with this update. My iPhone went from full charge to 75% in the two hours from the time I woke up to the time I left my apartment (roughly 2 hours of light-to-moderate usage).

Samh92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2016
U.K. Essex
I've also had a significant drop in battery life, both with my 6S, and my 3rd generation iPad. The iPad was recently reset and restored as a new device, I left it on my desk, and from a full charge it went to 0% (or whatever % is too low to start up) in three days. Something is definitely up with this update. My iPhone went from full charge to 75% in the two hours from the time I woke up to the time I left my apartment (roughly 2 hours of light-to-moderate usage).

Try changing in your settings timezone to automatic. I'm convinced that was the issue for me and it's been fine since(touch wood).

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
I have the same problem on my iphone. Today it jumped from 37 pct. to 4 in one instance! When I plug it back in to power it says 37 pct. again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.