Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
But when the app was flawless on 9.2.1 and now it stutters on 9.3, I just have to live with it because it's not Apple's problem? Yeah... Okay.

I could understand if it was iOS 10 and the app was designed for iOS 8, but this is just a point update to the iOS we're still currently on.

Do you think that breaking APIs in a point release isn't Apple's fault?
Well, have there been apps that went from 9.x to 9.y that changed to such a degree simply when updating from that .x to .y version?

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
But when the app was flawless on 9.2.1 and now it stutters on 9.3, I just have to live with it because it's not Apple's problem? Yeah... Okay.

I could understand if it was iOS 10 and the app was designed for iOS 8, but this is just a point update to the iOS we're still currently on.
Well, have there been apps that went from 9.x to 9.y that changed to such a degree simply when updating from that .x to .y version?

Yes. One of my favorite games now stutters on 9.3 (all of the betas, even beta 5), but it was flawless on 9.2.1.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes. One of my favorite games now stutters on 9.3 (all of the betas, even beta 5), but it was flawless on 9.2.1.
Not quite sure what that scenario (vs. the Chrome one that didn't change between point updates) might be about. I guess there's always the part that it's all a beta so far, but that doesn't mean it won't remain like that when the final version is out, and if that's the case, then it's a question of what's behind it. Perhaps there is an update that the developer might need to make, or perhaps there's something in iOS that isn't quite working the way it should.

lovewd

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2013
Not quite sure what that scenario (vs. the Chrome one that didn't change between point updates) might be about. I guess there's always the part that it's all a beta so far, but that doesn't mean it won't remain like that when the final version is out, and if that's the case, then it's a question of what's behind it. Perhaps there is an update that the developer might need to make, or perhaps there's something in iOS that isn't quite working the way it should.
Come on man....really?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Do you think that breaking APIs in a point release isn't Apple's fault?

You don't know if it's Apple "breaking API's" or if they simply made updates to them which in turn require 3rd party app developers to update their apps to the updated API's. You keep failing to understand this and instead keep jumping to the conclusion "It's Apple's fault". In some cases it could be, but not every case though.

API's get changed and updated all the time in pretty much every OS and even games. Blizzards WoW has API changes in nearly every patch (update) wether it's a full new version release (new expansion) or a major patch (similar to a x.x iOS release.) People who make Addons for the game have to update their Addons with the latest API changes. This is all no different than apps for a OS.

Reactions: sbailey4

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
You don't know if it's Apple "breaking API's" or if they simply made updates to them which in turn require 3rd party app developers to update their apps to the updated API's. You keep failing to understand this and instead keep jumping to the conclusion "It's Apple's fault". In some cases it could be, but not every case though.

API's get changed and updated all the time in pretty much every OS and even games. Blizzards WoW has API changes in nearly every patch (update) wether it's a full new version release (new expansion) or a major patch (similar to a x.x iOS release.) People who make Addons for the game have to update their Addons with the latest API changes. This is all no different than apps for a OS.

I just want my stuff to work and if a POINT update breaks some of my games, that's not cool. What else is there to say? What else am I supposed to do? Just be like "Welp, I guess I'm never playing that again"?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I just want my stuff to work and if a POINT update breaks some of my games, that's not cool. What else is there to say? What else am I supposed to do? Just be like "Welp, I guess I'm never playing that again"?
Well, you report what you are seeing to Apple and to the app developer and hope that it's not there in the actual release or that it's dealt with soon if there is something that needs to be updated/fixed. You can also see if others might be seeing the same issue and if they are hopefully they will do the same (and if they aren't then perhaps something else might be giving on in your case).

Reactions: sbailey4

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

How about not running beta then? You're treating beta builds as official releases.

If it is something the 3rd party app developer needs to update and fix (and they actually keep their apps up to date) then they will be fixed once 9.3 is released.

Contact the app/game developer, ask them if they are aware of whatever issue. They may tell you they are aware and a fix is coming. (If the update is specific to "possible" 9.3 code changes, those updates can't be pushed to the App Store until 9.3 releases.)

You know...investigate and troubleshoot the issue instead of blindly placing blame.

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
How about not running beta then? You're treating beta builds as official releases.

If it is something the 3rd party app developer needs to update and fix (and they actually keep their apps up to date) then they will be fixed once 9.3 is released.

Contact the app/game developer, ask them if they are aware of whatever issue. They may tell you they are aware and a fix is coming. (If the update is specific to "possible" 9.3 code changes, those updates can't be pushed to the App Store until 9.3 releases.)

You know...investigate and troubleshoot the issue instead of blindly placing blame.

I agree, betas are there for developers to recognise issues and fix them before or shortly following a public release. Sometimes changes require breaking current APIs to make progress even in x.1 updates.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014

Or maybe it's an Apple bug.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Or maybe you're too stubborn to understand there can be other possibilities outside of blindly blaming iOS for everything.

Yes, it could be a bug. But what you continue to fail to understand though, it could also not be and require the 3rd party app developer to update and fix.

Or you could stop defending Apple on everything and accept that they also make mistakes and this could be one of them.

Reactions: perfect_

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Or maybe you're too stubborn to understand there can be other possibilities outside of blindly blaming iOS for everything.

Yes, it could be a bug. But what you continue to fail to understand though, it could also not be and require the 3rd party app developer to update and fix.

Or you could stop defending Apple on everything and accept that they also make mistakes and this could be one of them.
It seems like when it comes to all of that, at this point, pretty much everyone has accepted that it could be the app and/or the OS (especially when betas are involved).

Reactions: skwood

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I'm not defending Apple. I even said a couple times now over that last few posts that it could be a bug. I'm mearly trying to explain to you that not everything is to be blamed on iOS. Especially when you have zero idea if it is or isn't the fault of iOS.

You're absolutely refusing to even consider the "other side of the coin" and just go "I hate Apple! I'm going to blame them for everything even though I have no understanding of what could be the cause and lack the ability to think outside of my hatred for Apple."

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I'm not defending Apple. I even said a couple times now over that last few posts that it could be a bug. I'm mearly trying to explain to you that not everything is to be blamed on iOS. Especially when you have zero idea if it is or isn't the fault of iOS.

You're absolutely refusing to even consider the "other side of the coin" and just go "I hate Apple! I'm going to blame them for everything even though I have no understanding of what could be the cause and lack the ability to think outside of my hatred for Apple."

Let's do the math.

ZigZag was perfectly flawless on 9.2.1
Then 9.3 beta 1 came out and people started complaining about OpenGL performance (on some games and even on older iOS devices that don't support metal)
Then, 9.3 betas 2, 3, 4 and 5 came out with no fix for the OpenGL stutters.

So I guess it must be the app and not iOS 9.3.

I like Apple, but I can still admit when they make a mistake or do something that doesn't make me happy.

Boobsandbacon

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
Is there a special setting to remove the download limit because it's still 100mb or wifi for me. Really wished Apple would allow us to be adults for once

danleon950410

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
Bogotá, Colombia
There is not. And the reason is quite clear.
No, the reason of THE LIMIT is quite clear.
The reason of the toggle not existing at this point is unclear.
Have in mind that with a toggle existing in iOS, a lawsuit wouldn't have a strong point as it would be (obviously) explained somewhere on the TaCs and shown on the settings as well.
Like other OS where the option exist and they haven't been sued...yet at least

mconk

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
For the debate that CDM, Jayson A and lagwagon are having:

During the initial iOS 9 betas I found several apps that weren't functioning properly while testing. It ended up being a mix of new/modified Apple coding, and the 3rd party app dev coding. Found this out by submitting bug reports to apple as well as the app devs, which really is the entire point of running a beta...to test and report. TL;DR - it is entirely possible for an app to function one way, and an entirely different way between iOS versions. This is not the fault of Apple. Devs are just as responsible for updating their apps, as Apple is responsible for fixing bugs. Apple updates the OS, devs update their apps. This has been going on for many years now.

Side note - the bickering on these forums is truly out of control. I've stopped coming here lately and stared posting over on Reddit instead, because every other thread is cluttered up with nonsensical arguments and off topic posts. Come on, guys.

Reactions: nerdriot

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
It's far from clear why you can download 10 x 99mb updates but not 1x 101mb update
I think that is abundantly clear. You cannot (reasonably) download 99 apps via a cellular connection by accident. You can quite easily do so with one package. And I don't care if you have a toggle or not: if enough people did it, some lawyer would file a class action shakedown lawsuit against Apple claiming they didn't do enough to prevent their poor innocent clients from incurring a data overage or data throttle. Apple recognizes this and says "no thanks"...

Reactions: AZhappyjack

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Yup. This is the number 1 reason I miss my jailbreak. The thing that made it even worse (iOS 9) is they block user input during the animations too when exiting apps so everything is just slower and clunky. Instead of just waiting for the already too slow animation to bounce back (used to be able to tap icons mid-animation) I additionally have to wait till the animation is 100% over until my taps on icons register and get things moving again. I really wish they would return this one thing back to how it was prior to iOS 9!

Especially annoying on iPads and pinch to close. So strange because it started in iOS 7. Than with 8 they fixed it and it returned with 9. I assume it's because on iOS 8 you could sometimes make it glitch out.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I think that is abundantly clear. You cannot (reasonably) download 99 apps via a cellular connection by accident. You can quite easily do so with one package. And I don't care if you have a toggle or not: if enough people did it, some lawyer would file a class action shakedown lawsuit against Apple claiming they didn't do enough to prevent their poor innocent clients from incurring a data overage or data throttle. Apple recognizes this and says "no thanks"...
Course you can do it by accident, have you not heard of automatic updates?

Ps I said 10 apps not 99. Even 2 would work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.