Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
Odd. Links from Google operational again. Some links on this site not working. Links in email not working.

Spoke too soon. that was the strangest thing. All links from Google were working.. and then after I tested links from Mail, they stopped working again

I friend called me to say the exact same thing , so you are not alone

qap

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Italy
I just received a (new) iPad Air 2, restored the backup from a backup from my other iPad Mini 4 with the linksgate, since I don't have the apps on my iMac (i don't use iCloud backup) I haven't any app (only black icons). So i launched Safari, it opens my last windows from my iPad Mini 4, including a tab on Google, I tapped on it and...boom it worked :eek:

Now I'm reinstalling all the apps, I'm curious in finding which one is the app/s with the bug...maybe all with the Universa Likining feature :D

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
I just received a (new) iPad Air 2, restored the backup from a backup from my other iPad Mini 4 with the linksgate, since I don't have the apps on my iMac (i don't use iCloud backup) I haven't any app (only black icons). So i launched Safari, it opens my last windows from my iPad Mini 4, including a tab on Google, I tapped on it and...boom it worked :eek:

Now I'm reinstalling all the apps, I'm curious in finding which one is the app/s with the bug...maybe all with the Universa Likining feature :D

My wife got an SE today, She restored from back up and same thing as you, links worked fine initially but once it had finished installing apps it now does not work again. She didn't even have booking.com installed. Not a great start for a new device.

meldea

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Still no fix??!? How hard can it be.

A fix is, presumably, being bundled into iOS 9.3.1 alongside other updates. I'm guessing that the number of affected users is a bit smaller than this thread imagines it to be, and consequently Apple doesn't feel a need to rush out an urgent update that only addresses this bug.

But I agree, not having a fix is quite frustrating. My confidence in Apple has been eroding with every day that passes.

pauleuro3

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2016
London
THE FIX IS OUT THERE! you can now upgrade to 9.3.1

And about time too. It didn't need to be this hard. and still no official announcement that I can see. Nothing on Twitter. Nothing on the home page.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Let's see if this works 9.3.1

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    200.7 KB · Views: 200

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
Both 4s phone in our house refuse to check for updates successfully. All other phones fine. iTunes it is...

qap

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Italy
My wife got an SE today, She restored from back up and same thing as you, links worked fine initially but once it had finished installing apps it now does not work again. She didn't even have booking.com installed. Not a great start for a new device.
It works for me :eek: I haven't installed some apps, but I don't think they're the cause of the linksgate...I don't remember which apps but, for example, I haven't Booking.com also on the iPad Mini.

The build is the same, iPad Mini 4 on front (damn looks yellow :D) iPad Air 2 on background.

At the moment all the links between apps (mail, etc) are working. But I also haven't rebooted.

Oh, one important thing: since I haven't any apps .ipa files saved on my iMac (where is the backup), all the apps installed are the last release. Because, after restoring the backup, all the -not Apple- apps are only black icons. And I downloaded all again from the Apple Store. Maybe for that is working :rolleyes: maybe there was an app (also Wikipedia could be the cause) who "started" the corruption of the Universal Links service and now, that some apps went update in the last 2/3 days, have fixed the bug..???

Just suppositions meh...I don't know!

If you want to try, make a backup of the iPhone/iPad via cable/wifi (not iCloud), and then move all the apps .ipa files (inside the iTunes folder) to another location and then restore the backup. After you will see all the apps on your device but they aren't usable (black/obscured icon), open the App Store and download every app again (just tap the cloud icon) and you will download the last release MAYBE without incurring in the links gate... (Because iOS doesn't backup the root files, I mean it only backups the /Home folder, not the /bin, /usr folders and the corrupted Universal Linking file is somewhere in the root directory... You need to know the UNIX OS to understand what I'm saying)

Good luck!

image.jpeg

Reactions: pauleuro3

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
It was the same for my phone but after rebooting it , it is now downloading .
[doublepost=1459452743][/doublepost]All good

jg4

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2015
My problems with safari links started with Wikipanion, as soon as I tried to follow an external link. iPad Air 2 here. So it is not limited to the Bookings app.

Alexismontoya

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2015
9.3.1 works! It took them too long! I really hope that is is not a sign of things to come. People love Apple because they don't have to deal with issues like this!

IFLYBFJ

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2016
You need to read this thread before do that. You are wasting your time!

Just an update. The procedure I used has been working solidly. Mail, Safari, everything works perfectly. Now I'm going to update to 9.3.1. Glad they finally put out an update so people don't have to trick **** their phones anymore!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.