Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphnhelp

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
This wasn't present in any of the betas. I'm wondering if this isn't a apple server side issue... I don't know how it would be, but in the past there were problems with Safari they were able to fix on their end without any updates if I'm remembering correctly...

iMarietto

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2014
My issue started this morning after I tapped a news link in news section inside proactive tab in the left page of homescreen

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
I've encountered this a few times now recently on my Mini 4 and iP6S, where I forced a restart in attempt to resolve it.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
This wasn't present in any of the betas. I'm wondering if this isn't a apple server side issue... I don't know how it would be, but in the past there were problems with Safari they were able to fix on their end without any updates if I'm remembering correctly...

My experience so far is any links that are linked to safari are unresponsive and freeze the app.

Schwaxdoc

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2015
Cleveland, OH
I too, have this paralyzing problem and have tried it all, even full restore does not fix nor does set up as new phone. My phone is essentially unusable as anything but ironically, a phone. I tweeted apple support, and posted on all forums I could find. Apple, please help!

Reactions: tatabox34

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
The OP was on the beta cycle. If he/she still is then use the feedback app. Never assume someone has already filed a report. The more people that do the more attention it potentially has to get fixed. I've had a ton I've reported get banished in the next build. If it shows back up then file another report for the current build that has issues.

Heck, the Plus line still has issues with video rotation. They've repeatedly fixed it and it has reared its heads again and again. Report bug and hopefully it'll eventually get permanently fixed.

Mrfatboy

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2008
My experience so far is any links that are linked to safari are unresponsive and freeze the app.

This is what is happening to me on my 6s plus. I did not download any betas. I did an OTA from 9.2 to 9.3. I have now restored my iphone to 9.2.1 (downloaded ispw) because 9.3 is totally worthless to me.

I hope Apple fixes this soon. It would be nice if they acknowledged it also so we know that they know about it.

btkadams

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2012
I've had this on my iPad Pro (12") since updating to the release build of 9.3. I never had any issues during the betas. My 6 Plus has also been fine. This is incredibly frustrating!

Reactions: sdz

koolzero

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
My iPhone just rebooted to the apple logo for quite a while and after it booted back up I tested some links in safari and they are working.

Update 1 If I try to long press on a link safari freezes.

Update 2Links in mail still don't work.

Update 3 they have stopped working in safari

Maybe I dreamt it

Last edited:
Reactions: duke42

sdz

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2014
Europe/Germany
Same thing happened to me :(

Basically I am not able to work!

Can anyone of you Experts explain what the heck Apple Backend Servers have to do with the issue???

adam_t

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2016
I had this issue (running IOS 9.2.1 on an iPad Air). Where by google/bing links in Safari/Chrome wouldn't open.
My symptoms were that hard reboots didn't fix it. Chrome would would if I long-tapped & 'opened in new tab'. Requesting a desktop site or disabling JS were less than ideal work arrounds.

The fix for me was:
Settings->General->Reset Network Settings

After which it rebooted, and was then all fine.

souzaens

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2016
I just created a account to say: Same thing here, this is so annoying!!!!
(iphone 6)

adam_t

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2016
I've tried enabling web inspector (settings->safari->advanced-web inspector) and then connecting it to my Mac and running Safari on there (Develop->iPad) to see what is is getting blocked on. There are HTTPS POSTS to google (see: http://imgur.com/hysciFv) that never complete that block the page from loading.

duke42

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2016
I had this issue (running IOS 9.2.1 on an iPad Air). Where by google/bing links in Safari/Chrome wouldn't open.
My symptoms were that hard reboots didn't fix it. Chrome would would if I long-tapped & 'opened in new tab'. Requesting a desktop site or disabling JS were less than ideal work arrounds.

The fix for me was:
Settings->General->Reset Network Settings

After which it rebooted, and was then all fine.

Tried this. Didn't work. The only thing that works for me is to hit the (4 lines button) in the browser bar, click a link, then re-click the button. It changes the viewing mode. I have tried a hard reset, but not restore because i don't want to lose all the info on my phone. Tried enabling and disabling all options for safari and the only fix around it that i found was the one above. Pretty annoying, is there any way someone can reach out to APPLE and let them know of this issue?

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I've tried enabling web inspector (settings->safari->advanced-web inspector) and then connecting it to my Mac and running Safari on there (Develop->iPad) to see what is is getting blocked on. There are HTTPS POSTS to google (see: http://imgur.com/hysciFv) that never complete that block the page from loading.

Not sure I completely understand what this means. Shouldn't this affect previous versions of IOS also?

adam_t

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2016
Sharing some more info that may be of interest:
I have two identical iPads here (A1475) running 9.2.1 (build 13D15). One has the problem, one doesn't.
The problem occurs over both 3G and Wifi (so not network related). The settings are both are pretty similar (but different Apple accounts, and different apps installed)
This makes me think it is nothing specific to a single OS version that affects all devices. But some form of setting/config/state that triggers it.

sdz

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2014
Europe/Germany
This makes me think it is nothing specific to a single OS version that affects all devices. But some form of setting/config/state that triggers it.

If that is true, how can Apple fix something remotely (on their backend?) And how is this change going to affect my device when I don't update or sync the device for example?

yravlinko

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2016
I did clean install without some applications ... so far flying is good.
If next 48 hours I will be ok then it's really application problem.
I narrow down to:
  • Booking
  • lufthansa
  • JetRadar

tatabox34

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2016
I did clean install without some applications ... so far flying is good.
If next 48 hours I will be ok then it's really application problem.
I narrow down to:
  • Booking
  • lufthansa
  • JetRadar
Only app we have in common is booking, I'm going to delete the app and hard reset the phone. I'll post the results.

Edit: Nope, nothing to do with booking app

shrtmkr

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2008
the apple
this is ridiculous, 9.3 is not a beta release and this magnitude of a bug is a shame for apple. Hope this will get fixed soon or else!

Reactions: sdz

Z3URP13T

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2016
My wife and I have the same iPhone 6. I have been using the betas of 9.3 for months and my wife upgraded today to iOS 9.3 and now shr cannot open links I sent her in iMessage nor WhatsApp. Nothing happens when I click a link in the Google Search results in her Safari browser. When I long press a link I see a light gray box that highlights the link and Safari crashes.

Tried soft reset, clearing website data, resetting network settings, ... But the problem remains.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.