Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

syphern

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Please share performance and battery for this beta! Daily driver?

thebeatsalive

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2015
Seattle, WA
For me its an improvement from B2 already. Battery draining a bit slower over the past couple of hours. Less janky animation (not fully there yet tho). Apps open up quicker or me in general. i think I will keep it on my phone as a daily for now.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
On my device, horrible, although better when I was in iOS 9 beta 1. 6 hours continuous use is not a really good result, for iPhone 6 plus.

Lukeit

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Shanghai, China
iPhone 6 plus with beta 3: the battery seems to be worse than beta 2, but at the moment definitely not like beta 1...
it is anyway substantially less efficient than previous beta... will keep you posted.

retrospek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
UK
The battery on Beta 3 is definitely worse than Beta 2 for me. The phone is also running very hot for some reason..

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
I noticed a 1-second delay when opening apps that weren't opened recently. No such delay on beta 2.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

Lukeit

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Shanghai, China
Confirm battery is very bad again: standby seems fine, but as soon as you start using the device, battery drops 1% every few minutes... unbelievable!

Luis Mazza

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Safari used to run Sunspider 1.02 on average 290 pointson b2. Now it is back to 340 on b3.
Battery life seems better than b2 on iPad Air 2, but it is too early to confirm.

hunt2013

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2011
Doing awesome here on Performance and Battery for 6 Plus. Missing the keyboard gestures however.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Too early to tell for me but it seems better all around. Battery is better so far at 1hr 6 min, 3 hr 34 min standby and 94% battery left. I've been messaging and Facebook most of that hour. Animations are still kinda sluggish..

alfista

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
two days ago, I did a 4 mile run on a full charge and burned 27% with beta 2 and Runkeeper.
today I did 5 miles, a mix of runkeeper and Workouts, along with fiddling of settings I hadn't configured beforehand, and only burned 10%.
With 1.0, my first 5 mile workout only burned 3%

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
In terms of battery life, beta 3 seems better for me than the previous two, but it's difficult to say with certainty until a couple of days from now once I can put it through its paces.
In terms of overall system performance, I'm seeing slightly better animations and switching between apps has been much improved. I haven't seen as many bugs, but that experience can vary widely between people.

Personally, beta 3 is an improvement on my iPhone 6Plus and iPad Air 2.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Current Beta Battery Life Rankings (best to worst):
  1. Beta 2
  2. Beta 3
  3. Beta 1
Beta 2 had excellent battery life, so judging by that benchmark, Beta 3 is pretty poor and also below that seen in iOS 8 imo. Beta 3 will get you through the day but it's not that great. Beta 1 was extremely poor, the worst battery drain I ever had on a phone.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
In terms of battery life, beta 3 seems better for me than the previous two, but it's difficult to say with certainty until a couple of days from now once I can put it through its paces.
In terms of overall system performance, I'm seeing slightly better animations and switching between apps has been much improved. I haven't seen as many bugs, but that experience can vary widely between people.

Personally, beta 3 is an improvement on my iPhone 6Plus and iPad Air 2.

It's weird how some people see improvements and some don't. Not saying you aren't seeing improvements but i'm merely saying it's weird how some have performance fixes and battery life improvements and others don't.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
It's weird how some people see improvements and some don't. Not saying you aren't seeing improvements but i'm merely saying it's weird how some have performance fixes and battery life improvements and others don't.

That's been my exact feeling with iOS 9 beta more than any previous betas. I think as Apple is adding more features into each OS there is more room for a difference in variables that affect performance and such, hence the different experiences.

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
It's not as if this is a controlled study, it's all just anecdotal evidence.

Luis Mazza

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
That's been my exact feeling with iOS 9 beta more than any previous betas. I think as Apple is adding more features into each OS there is more room for a difference in variables that affect performance and such, hence the different experiences.

I agree with you. Maybe people are using Apple Music and forgetting that it consumes a lot of battery. Also there's the usual problem with restoring older backups and beta software in general. The positive experiences are very positive or the same and the bad experiences seem to be based on the usual beta software bugs we're used to find.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I agree with you. Maybe people are using Apple Music and forgetting that it consumes a lot of battery. Also there's the usual problem with restoring older backups and beta software in general. The positive experiences are very positive or the same and the bad experiences seem to be based on the usual beta software bugs we're used to find.

Except I don't use Apple Music and I do clean restores of every beta.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Just finished a quick geek bench test.

Benchmark performance is identical, but user experience is improved. At least, I feel system is running smoother than previous beta.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.