Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
Since that time I have got more to say on the Pro version.

It appears that even with network extensions APIs we can't simply do the same as we do on Android. So, we'll start with a feature easier to implement.

Key points:
1. It will block ads & tracking system wide.
2. It will establish a virtual VPN that actually won't route your traffic through a remote server.
3. Unlike Android, we won't pass traffic through the app (at least in the first version). However, we'll be able to block access to ad & tracking domains for both mobile data and wi-fi.

I'll tell you more on this when the first beta is finally available.
[doublepost=1464597163][/doublepost]
One question about new annoyance. Any duplicates with fanboy annoyance

Hm, we didn't fork fanboys filter, but duplicates are possible as these filters have a lot in common. Anyway, Adguard ignores duplicates.

Last edited:

tazdevl

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
@avatar-adg

Updated to 1.0.6 and getting constant error "filters cannot be loaded into safari". Removed filters, deleted reinstalled app, nothing works. Seems to be bug introduced in the latest update. it will update after the reinstall then error message appears.

Also background filter updates still do not work, background refresh enabled, app is not force closed so still open.

iPad Pro 9.7, iOS 9.3.2

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014

It appears that even with network extensions APIs we can't simply do the same as we do on Android. So, we'll start with a feature easier to implement.

Key points:
2. It will establish a virtual VPN that actually won't route your traffic through a remote server.
3. Unlike Android, we won't pass traffic through the app (at least in the first version). However, we'll be able to block access to ad & tracking domains for both mobile data and wi-fi.
I hope your team is prepared, that is going to be crazy popular.

daleski75

macrumors 68000
Dec 10, 2008
Northampton, UK

Key points:

Hm, we didn't fork fanboys filter, but duplicates are possible as these filters have a lot in common. Anyway, Adguard ignores duplicates.

Is it going to be made available on test flight for us existing beta testers?
[doublepost=1464675827][/doublepost]

Key points:

Also according to the dev for @adblockios iOS on demand VPN is broken in 9.3.x can you guys possibly confirm if you are seeing any issues with this? particularly in reference to very long loading times in safari?

I appreciate if you guys have a NDA and cannot disclose it but just wanted to bring it to your attention.

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
Is it going to be made available on test flight for us existing beta testers?

As a separate app, but we'll make a special announce for beta testers.

Had the same, deactivated malware domains then it worked.

Malware domains is just too huge, there's always a risk of hitting rules count limit:(.
[doublepost=1464688972][/doublepost]
Also according to the dev for @adblockios iOS on demand VPN is broken in 9.3.x can you guys possibly confirm if you are seeing any issues with this? particularly in reference to very long loading times in safari?

We use an absolutely different approach so no issues like that.

daleski75

macrumors 68000
Dec 10, 2008
Northampton, UK

Malware domains is just too huge, there's always a risk of hitting rules count limit:(.

That is excellent news, waiting patiently now for the first release to test.

ganja24

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009

I would like to beta test, please!

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
Any update regarding syncing whitelist via iCloud?

We've decided that it it's a good idea to allow user to choose a Sync provider (icloud, dropbox, google driver, whatever). Not yet implemented though.
[doublepost=1464945655][/doublepost]
I would like to beta test, please!

I'll make a special announce here on macrumors then:)

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
We've decided that it it's a good idea to allow user to choose a Sync provider (icloud, dropbox, google driver, whatever). Not yet implemented though.
[doublepost=1464945655][/doublepost]

I'll make a special announce here on macrumors then:)
Would it be possible to allow all settings to be sync'd? That wold be great for those of us who use iOS and OS X.

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
Would it be possible to allow all settings to be sync'd? That wold be great for those of us who use iOS and OS X.

That's the plan.

@avatar-adg special announcement means in this forum?

In our blog, but I'll repost it here of course.
[doublepost=1465161580][/doublepost]
Can't check arrivals at Vnukovo international airport, that part is unclickable.

Confirmed, thank you!
https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardFilters/issues/2264

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015

Key points:

Thanks. I can't wait for a Alpha or beta!

tosbsas

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
Lima, Peru
You might have to look into how you deal with apps that call the safari view api to show webpages. Like tweetbot for example. Adguard is not as effective there than it is in Safari itself

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
Is there estimated release date for Adguard Pro beta?

I am very bad at estimates :( I hope we'll do it in a month or so.
[doublepost=1465549551][/doublepost]
You might have to look into how you deal with apps that call the safari view api to show webpages. Like tweetbot for example. Adguard is not as effective there than it is in Safari itself

If it really uses SafariViewController and not a WebView, then AG, in theory, is able to block ads there.

However, to check what's wrong with it, we must know address of the page rendered inside the SVC.

Reactions: ganja24

tosbsas

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
Lima, Peru
e06839d764d2ee6fcb0382b2602827d3.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.