Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
It has been amazing on my 6 plus ... Updated from Beta 5 .. Battery has been phenomenal !!

IMG_0226.PNG

IMG_0227.PNG
GM or 9.1 B1?

hounslowfish

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Ahrgh! Installed GM over public beta 3. Now my iPad wants to download public beta 3 back on top,of it as an OTA!

Anyone else getting this?!

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark
Just restored iPhone 6 from scratch with 9.0 GM after i have been running all the developer betas, i must say it's running pretty damn smooth no lag so far.

RiderX

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
so, what is your opinion? passing to GM is OK? or better to stay at 8.4.1 for a while?

Install it and see yourself. As long Apple signs 8.4.1 you can still go back. Just have a backup ready and keep it somewhere safe in case you want to go back. The official release of GM will be next week, so you have some days left for testing.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
so, what is your opinion? passing to GM is OK? or better to stay at 8.4.1 for a while?
If you like your device to respond to your touches ask quickly as they do in 8.4.1 stay there! I tried the GM and 9.1 and its a step back from 8.4.1 for sure on my 6. I'm back on 8.4.1 and I might just stay there forever.

I keep reduce motion on and say you are in an app and you exit it you can be tapping the next app you want to open as the fade animation is practically still happening and it will immediately register and start to open that app you are tapping on 8.4.1.

On the GM and 9.1 and all the betas I will be tapping away and it takes 3-5 taps to get anything to happen compared to 8.4.1. It's just clunky and not optimized for the 6 in my experience. The control center dips into 45-50 fps when dragging it up. Safari is loading pages slower. Apps load a tick slower once they finally spring open and get going. Just not impressed. I'm not an apple hater or anything. I've been on the iPhone since the 4 and usually I'm really excited to upgrade the software each year and I really want this to be great but it just isn't! And that font... It's really confusing that it's not at the very least on par with 8.4.1 when they have advertised the UI running on metal. It's clearly worse. I'm interested to see how the 6s performs on it. I'm willing to bet an iPhone 6 on 8.4.1 ( doing basic tasks) will be very close if not the same speed as the iphone 6s is on 9.0. Do we really need 70% faster cpu to open the messages app as fast as we did before?

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
imagineadam --> Same experience here on my iPhone 5S. It just doesn't responds to touch as quick as iOS 8, everything I do is slow. It look like it's still a beta not a final product. I'm already back on 8.4.1 and damn my iPhone is blazing fast now. I remember it was the same when 8.0 came out so I won't upgrade until it getting faster in 9.2 or 9.3 or even 9.4.

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark
I did a restore on my iPhone 5 from scratch with the 9.0 GM. Pretty smooth as well. the only place i can see dropping frames in going in and out of the multitasking switcher.

Reactions: stooovie

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Disable transparency in Accessibility of you can't not see the choppiness. I did and it's good. Not as pretty but whatever.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Had 9.1 on my phone but in my experience, 9.0 GM was a lot smoother and responsive. Just got done 'downgrading' back to GM and am a lot happier. Perhaps I'll revisit 9.1 when it's closer to final build.

Dangerzone

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2011
GM is running great on my iPhone 6. No issues at all.

Looking at the new wallpapers, there's Jupiter. Is there a reason why the stripes are vertical? All the pictures of Jupiter I've seen has the stripes horizontial. Seems a bit odd to me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 5.37.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 5.37.25 PM.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 182

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Updated both my 6 and the Air 2 to 9.0gm. Both performing very well. One thing though is the Podcast app on the 6 just shows a "updating library" screen, then crashed to home screen. Anybody else having this problem? It's working fine on the Air 2 though.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
any fix for the "a new ios update is now available. please update from the ios 9 beta" popup?
seeing this every single time I unlock my phone is rather annoying...

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I usually upgrade my iPhone minutes within official release, except for when iOS 7 went GM because I really wanted the new goodies so I installed it a week earlier than official release.

This time around, I'm afraid to upgrade even to official iOS 9, based upon the lag and other factors that you guys are talking about!

Perhaps I'll just leave my 5S on iOS 8.4.1 and utilize 9 when my pre-ordered 6S Plus comes. Even if that is next month.

Last edited:

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
On my 6 Plus I am not noticing slowdowns (upgrade, not clean install).
For the most part, I have been real happy with it.

What has been happening, more often then I like, is total freezes.
I have had iPhones since the 3GS and never remember it happening so often, if at all.
I am used to getting crashes all the time on every phone but with 9.0 GM, it is like you are looking at a screenshot of my homescreen.
The only way to get it back is the sleep/home reboot.
To be fair, it might be an issue with the OS connecting to 3rd party widgets/keyboards that haven't been updated yet.
But that is stuff beta is supposed to fix, not GM.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Since installing the GM after the keynote I've noticed Safari reloads have diminished drastically and are at the moment practically nonexistent. Which, to be honest didn't bother me that much to begin with, but still makes me a happy camper to see it resolved. Granted, I don't juggle that many tabs on a daily basis, but with four or five tabs open Safari does it's thing quite well.

In general I'm happy with iOS 9, the couple of seconds (max.) worth of sporadic accumulated stutter per day is something I'm perfectly able to live with as otherwise the phone does exactly what it's supposed to. Battery life is also on par, if not better than on 8.4.1.

Seems I lucked out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.