Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmstapp

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
My wife and I have shared an iCloud account since the beginning. Now that we have updated to iOS 9, our call log is shared. Anyway to fix that?

Same thing happened to me & my daughter after iOS 9 update. I created her a child Apple ID & did family share account. I finally gound the fix!!! Go to settings-phone-calls-calls on other devices. Turn it off! Yay!!!!

Michtove

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
My wife and I have shared an iCloud account since the beginning. Now that we have updated to iOS 9, our call log is shared. Anyway to fix that?
In iOS 9 or 9.02 you have to go into cellular and disable FaceTime. Then it will work. Had the same problem.

BHL1853

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2015
Same thing happened to me & my daughter after iOS 9 update. I created her a child Apple ID & did family share account. I finally gound the fix!!! Go to settings-phone-calls-calls on other devices. Turn it off! Yay!!!!

This did not work for me... I want my calls shared on all devices but my husbands, and i turned off his phone specifically. he still sees my calls in his call log.

BHL1853

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2015
The bigger question I suppose is how do you deal with a singular iCloud Photo Library with a family of device users.

That seems woefully unaddressed.
Did you ever find a solution? I have called Apple support twice and have been unsuccessful. My husband and I together have 7 devices not including 5 apple tvs >>> all of them either I use, or we share, except for his phone... having a separate apple ID for his phone just so that we don't see each others call logs does not make sense when the rest of the devices we use together we want shared.
the Family Share does not work for our purposes either.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Did you ever find a solution? I have called Apple support twice and have been unsuccessful. My husband and I together have 7 devices not including 5 apple tvs >>> all of them either I use, or we share, except for his phone... having a separate apple ID for his phone just so that we don't see each others call logs does not make sense when the rest of the devices we use together we want shared.
the Family Share does not work for our purposes either.
Unfortunately no. I haven't bothered to keep researching it until something changes. For now we are able to deal with it easily with just two adults and controlled two younger children by just sharing the Apple ID and iCloud. Apple hasn't presented any other workable solution yet that I'm aware of.

May get more difficult as the years go by and the kids start taking the crap pictures kids take :)

Reactions: dk001

Iphilix

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2015
Well, crappy or not, it's the real answer. Someone agreeing with you that it would be great if it didn't do that now in iOS 9 doesn't give you an answer or change anything, right?
Just because you don't know how to do it does not mean your answer is right stop telling people this. I read that apple knows this is an issue and was not the intention for this to happen. I have an iPad an I Mac and the girlfriends phone with me on my account. Not only do I not want her call log but I should make it so my I pad and iMac don't receive all this stuff either. It should be my right to control how I handle information over my devices. There is reasons I want my girlfriends phone on my account besides sharing apps. But that is non of your business. There is always a solution to do something your just not smart enough to figure it out. As well I am not either which is why I found this forum in my search for an answer. Have an open mind and stop telling people that crap because my money is on findin a solution and when I do feel free to use it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just because you don't know how to do it does not mean your answer is right stop telling people this. I read that apple knows this is an issue and was not the intention for this to happen. I have an iPad an I Mac and the girlfriends phone with me on my account. Not only do I not want her call log but I should make it so my I pad and iMac don't receive all this stuff either. It should be my right to control how I handle information over my devices. There is reasons I want my girlfriends phone on my account besides sharing apps. But that is non of your business. There is always a solution to do something your just not smart enough to figure it out. As well I am not either which is why I found this forum in my search for an answer. Have an open mind and stop telling people that crap because my money is on findin a solution and when I do feel free to use it.
Good luck with that. I'm sure the same line of thinking applies to for example those who want to put iOS 6 back onto their iPhone 5 devices that ran it before--clearly it's not that it can't be done it's just that they aren't smart to figure it out.

Last edited:

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Iphilix brings up an interesting point . . . I wonder if this is indeed an unintended consequence on Apple's part. Given how they blithely assume everyone must be following their edict to not share iCloud accounts, perhaps this is just an oversight.

Wonder if it will get adjusted at some point.

jghalam

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2015
So your saying pirating software is becoming too inconvenient for you because the the added conveniences of call log sharing provided to user using the software as intended? Hmp

Has nothing to do with pirating. I have two phones (two separate #'s), one icloud and one apple ID. What am I supposed to do? Create a 2nd iCloud account? Right now all my business and private logs are mixed and I cannot separate them! Pretty bad!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Has nothing to do with pirating. I have two phones (two separate #'s), one icloud and one apple ID. What am I supposed to do? Create a 2nd iCloud account? Right now all my business and private logs are mixed and I cannot separate them! Pretty bad!
Well, one idea there is to use two different Apple IDs for the different phones and numbers that are for different uses.

jghalam

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2015

My both phones are on the latest iOS 9, and they have the same issue with the phone logs being shared. I have done everything, including using two separate iCloud accounts. The issue appears to be a bug which was introduced lately as a part of the iCloud Drive support on iOS 9. I have fixed the issue by Disable the iCloud Drive on both devices (settings -> iCloud -> iCloud Drive). Hope works for others.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Interesting reading and am hoping an answer is found. My family uses a common Apple ID.
My daughters stuff was showing up on mine (but mine not on herso_O). We are the only two on 9.x, all others are on 8.4.1 Have disabled iCloud Drive on both devices for now.
Apple continues having difficulty creating and running a cloud.

Last edited:

jghalam

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2015
Interesting reading and am hoping an answer is found. My family uses a common Apple ID.
My daughters stuff was showing up on mine (but mine not on herso_O). We are the only two on 9.x, all others are on 8.4.1 Have disabled iCloud on both devices for now.
Apple continues having difficulty creating and running a cloud.

I mentioned it above that I fixed the issue on my phones. Here is what I did. Hopefully works for you also:

"I have fixed the issue by Disable the iCloud Drive on both devices (settings -> iCloud -> iCloud Drive)."

llamalabama

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2015

You're right in assuming this is related to iOS 9. It is not a feature of iOS (7,8,9), FaceTime, Handoff, Calls on other devices, etc. My wife and I have shared primary iClouds with distinct iMessage/FaceTime accounts since iOS 7. Shared call history is not a designed feature but we've occasionally seen that or similar problems crop up (usually at OS upgrade time).

We are dealing with the same thing right now, signing in and out of feature A-Z doesn't seem to fix it. AppleCare's guess is that our iCloud backups became conflated. I'm not sure how to fix that, but I think the most drastic fix would be to try a full reset w/out restore from backup. I'm not ready to do that just yet.

Separate primary iClouds would probably fix this, but I much prefer the advantages to a shared primary ID (single photo library, iCloud Drive, Safari tabs, Text Shortcuts).

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You're right in assuming this is related to iOS 9. It is not a feature of iOS (7,8,9), FaceTime, Handoff, Calls on other devices, etc. My wife and I have shared primary iClouds with distinct iMessage/FaceTime accounts since iOS 7. Shared call history is not a designed feature but we've occasionally seen that or similar problems crop up (usually at OS upgrade time).

We are dealing with the same thing right now, signing in and out of feature A-Z doesn't seem to fix it. AppleCare's guess is that our iCloud backups became conflated. I'm not sure how to fix that, but I think the most drastic fix would be to try a full reset w/out restore from backup. I'm not ready to do that just yet.

Separate primary iClouds would probably fix this, but I much prefer the advantages to a shared primary ID (single photo library, iCloud Drive).
It seems like things weren't designed for IDs to be shared, do something or other working differently at one point or another or stopping to work or something else being added wouldn't be unexpected.

llamalabama

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2015
It seems like things weren't designed for IDs to be shared, do something or other working differently at one point or another or stopping to work or something else being added wouldn't be unexpected.

Most of the time it's just an issue of Apple automatically configuring something at iOS upgrade time (like assuming primary iCloud and FaceTime should match). This issue seems to be an error that occurred in iCloud (not on the device) at OS upgrade time.

I don't think our synced call history is a "feature" because it behaves much more erratically than most iCloud syncing (which really is much better than just a few years ago). Call histories do not sync at expected intervals, they simply cross-talk. Call histories sync, but not completely, and not in the same order. If this is a feature, it's a terrible one that performs at a much lower level than most iCloud syncing (again, my experience is that general iCloud syncing is much improved from a few years ago). It looks and functions more like a bug.

I don't know why Apple would sync call history. Who has more than one iPhone? Almost no-one, I would guess. Backing up call history? Certainly.

On the other hand these under-documented iCloud features generally sync much more reliably and generally predate iOS 9.

jwc6160

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Just updated to the latest (seemingly weekly uodate) last night and our call logs are mixed. Like using the same iCloud for calendars, notes, pic, etc but if this keeps happening we may have to figure something else out. Starting to get frustrated with the "upgrades" to iOS that end up causing more issues.

JAta2

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
Does anyone still have this problem with 9.2.1 installed on all their devices?

aszlam

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2015
Alpharetta, Ga
Yes. This can be fixed by going into iCloud and turning OFF iCloud Drive.
iOS9 introduced back-up of all incoming and outgoing phone calls and this info is stored at iCloud Drive in addition to other stats.
Hope this resolves your issue.
All the best,
Alek

alphonseM

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2014
That's what everyone said every other time an iCloud conflict came up. Always worked around it.

I'd be more interested in confirmation that this is an iOS 9 specific inclusion and then what the workaround is. I'm less inclined to take as gospel the musings of someone that registered this year.

Why are you so hostile. A forum member is trying to help you out and you call it a crappy answer? If you don't like it, go bark up Apple's tree instead, but be respectful of those trying to help you out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.