Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
As my observation on Apple's device (iphone, ipod) the most speedy and best performance is when those devices use the original OS version come out from the store.
For example, 4s/ipad2 perform best on IOS 4.3 and iPod 5G / iPhone 5s perform best on IOS 7.1.2, iPhone 6 on IOS 8. So, upgrading OS (major version), even though very tempting because of new features and software compatibility, I would do it very conservatively.
My 4s & iPad2 are using 7.1.2, and few times has lag or crash during heavy load, which never / very rarely happened when they are still in original 4.3. While my iPhone 6 is very responsive, no lag, never crash with its original IOS 8 (8.3 - latest minor update). At some points, we may need to see iPhone just like old times Nokia phone. Upgrade fonly if really needed and mandatory.
True.Android and iOS aren't much different when you really think about it.Android never gives updates and Apple effectively cripples devices by updating them

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just wanted to add that I was literally freaking out when I updated to iOS 9 on my iPhone 6 because the slowdown was completely obvious. Downgraded to 8.4.1 and was happy for a while but ultimately liked the new features in iOS 9 and decided to upgrade again and suffer the consequences yesterday. I read in here from some users that this lag was fixed in 9.1 betas and decided to give it a shot as I figured there wasn't much to lose as I was stuck on iOS 9 from now on. Updated to iOS 9.1 beta 4 and it feels like I'm back on 8.4.1 again. I'm actually content with my phone again! 9.1 feels like what iOS 9.0 should've been.
Some others with issues will tell you that you are just imagining things.

Last edited:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I would still LOVE to see a video that shows iOS 9 lives up to its claim - that iOS 9 should be faster than iOS 8.4.1 on a clean install. Every iOS 9 device I've used feels a lot slower than 8.4.1, and I've seen numerous videos to confirm it. Happy to be wrong, but all I can say is that perhaps a lot of people have dodgy iOS 8 installs that upgrading to iOS 9 fixed. Or people don't notice jittering/lag..

Otherwise its false advertising on Apple's part. I've tried every single form of install on my 6 month old iPad Mini 2 and in every single attempt its slower which is a huge shame as iOS 8 wasn't crash hot on it either. Similar lag and jittering is also extremely noticeable on Apple's in store iPad Mini 2s.

Reactions: dk001

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
It's all because of Apple brand.

I live in Indonesia (developing country) and iPhone 6 16GB priced at approx $700. Local people here have a very high pride—they often buy branded products—even if they don't have the money. Don't be surprised with young woman / man who earn only $110 / month use the latest iPhone. Their uses? messaging, social media, and light game. They don't even care about lags, random restart, or whatever else it is because of "Apple" as a brand.

Pride trumps functionality. As long as developing country people have these mentality: Apple will thrive.

And how is that Apple's fault?

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
By a 6S and continue to suffer next year :D

With powerful hardware, I can't wait what Apple changes next to bring down the experience.

Just can't wait!! :p

You know you don't have to wait or put up with Apple... There is choice for disgruntled customers....

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I would still LOVE to see a video that shows iOS 9 lives up to its claim - that iOS 9 should be faster than iOS 8.4.1 on a clean install. Every iOS 9 device I've used feels a lot slower than 8.4.1, and I've seen numerous videos to confirm it. Happy to be wrong, but all I can say is that perhaps a lot of people have dodgy iOS 8 installs that upgrading to iOS 9 fixed. Or people don't notice jittering/lag..

Otherwise its false advertising on Apple's part. I've tried every single form of install on my 6 month old iPad Mini 2 and in every single attempt its slower which is a huge shame as iOS 8 wasn't crash hot on it either. Similar lag and jittering is also extremely noticeable on Apple's in store iPad Mini 2s.
They managed to slow down the monstrous A8X in the Air 2 and that's saying something.The other iPads don't stand a chance

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
What's got me stuffed is there are basically the same amount of pixels on the screen, so there is no way a device can slow down an animation unless it is programmed to do so. Either deliberately or incompetently isn't just normal. OSX is the same. Windows? Hasn't it gotten faster?

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Most of us have to put up with Apple because we are invested into Apple's devices and apps ecosystem.

For the life of me, why can't Android manufacturers create aura like Apple. It's the brand perception which is all that matters. Apple has nailed that to the last minute detail.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
People forget quickly that for 20 years every single yearly upgrade of the home PC/Mac OSX was a massive leap in power and technology. iOS as an ecosystem is still early in years, features still being added, background services, foreground features etc.

iOS in an iPhone 4 ran a 'retina' screen, iOS in an iPhone 6s has Force Touch, Touch ID, more pixels, payments, more notifications, larger more intensive apps, louder speakers, better camera, better video, thinner, lighter.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Just look at this lag on my Air 2.After terminating the App it took nearly 5 seconds for it to relaunch and this is an A8X and 2GB Ram we are talking about here .How anyone can excuse Apple for turning this tablet into a POS Android experience is beyond me

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
Same as above, my brand new iPad isn't performing as well as I was hoping it would. There's noticeable slowdown in animations when using dynamic wallpaper in the task switcher. The in-app animation performance is also not great at all, I have seen it struggle when simply rotating the display in the Music app. You'd expect a locked 60fps in these situations, it really is basic functionality I'm talking about here.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Most of us have to put up with Apple because we are invested into Apple's devices and apps ecosystem.

For the life of me, why can't Android manufacturers create aura like Apple. It's the brand perception which is all that matters. Apple has nailed that to the last minute detail.
Nobody has "to put up" with Apple if they are "that bad".

Last edited by a moderator:

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Same as above, my brand new iPad isn't performing as well as I was hoping it would. There's noticeable slowdown in animations when using dynamic wallpaper in the task switcher. The in-app animation performance is also not great at all, I have seen it struggle when simply rotating the display in the Music app. You'd expect a locked 60fps in these situations, it really is basic functionality I'm talking about here.
No, iOS 9 is faster and smoother than iOS 8. If you are experiencing otherwise, then you've probably caught a serious case of being critical to performance of expensive devices. To get rid of this illness you need to watch the iOS 9 keynote on repeat for 24 hours.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
People forget quickly that for 20 years every single yearly upgrade of the home PC/Mac OSX was a massive leap in power and technology. iOS as an ecosystem is still early in years, features still being added, background services, foreground features etc.

iOS in an iPhone 4 ran a 'retina' screen, iOS in an iPhone 6s has Force Touch, Touch ID, more pixels, payments, more notifications, larger more intensive apps, louder speakers, better camera, better video, thinner, lighter.
k sorry I forgot now what?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

BS.
I broke out an old iPhone 3 (OMG!!!) and powered that baby up. Still works and the battery only lasts about 90 minutes - wifi only.
Scrolling around the screen, pulling up basic functions it is mostly smooth and just works.
Then I pull up my 6S+. Scroll around the screen, pulling up basic functions it is mostly smooth however it feels like I'm navigating in syrup. It's not snappy smooth, it's syrupy smooth.

As for the "Force Touch, Touch ID, more pixels, payments, more notifications, larger more intensive apps, louder speakers, better camera, better video, thinner, lighter" - not lighter (it weighs a lot more) most are add on features and should not negatively impact the basic function/operation of the device unless you have:
  1. overloaded the cpu/gpu
  2. integrated / intertwined everything into an iTunes like mess
So, which has Apple done? 1 or 2?

As for the original PC type generational speedup stuff, it generally made things much quicker or broke them. Slow them down? Nope.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
BS.
I broke out an old iPhone 3 (OMG!!!) and powered that baby up. Still works and the battery only lasts about 90 minutes - wifi only.
Scrolling around the screen, pulling up basic functions it is mostly smooth and just works.
Then I pull up my 6S+. Scroll around the screen, pulling up basic functions it is mostly smooth however it feels like I'm navigating in syrup. It's not snappy smooth, it's syrupy smooth.

As for the "Force Touch, Touch ID, more pixels, payments, more notifications, larger more intensive apps, louder speakers, better camera, better video, thinner, lighter" - not lighter (it weighs a lot more) most are add on features and should not negatively impact the basic function/operation of the device unless you have:
  1. overloaded the cpu/gpu
  2. integrated / intertwined everything into an iTunes like mess
So, which has Apple done? 1 or 2?

As for the original PC type generational speedup stuff, it generally made things much quicker or broke them. Slow them down? Nope.
Sorry no way the 6s is as you describe. Sure you can have that opinion, and I can have a different one.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I cannot believe there is no class action lawsuit against Apple for how they are clearly, without question, intentionally crippling our devices with software updates while giving no option to downgrade to the iOS which the device shipped with. Apple crippled my iPhon 5, iPad mini and now my iPhone 6! They need to replace my devices or give a downgrade option! I AM FURIOUS! Tim Cook, ARE! YOU! LISTENING! ??? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I cannot believe there is no class action lawsuit against Apple for how they are clearly, without question, intentionally crippling our devices with software updates while giving no option to downgrade to the iOS which the device shipped with. Apple crippled my iPhon 5, iPad mini and now my iPhone 6! They need to replace my devices or give a downgrade option! I AM FURIOUS! Tim Cook, ARE! YOU! LISTENING! ??? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Probably because the devices that most people have aren't anywhere even in the vicinity of being crippled.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You mean I'm one of the few with an iPhone 6? That's absurd. There are millions of iPhone 6 still in use.
I mean that plenty of people with an iPhone 6 and many other devices that don't have any crippling or even more than some trivial or perhaps minor issues.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I mean that plenty of people with an iPhone 6 and many other devices that don't have any crippling or even more than some trivial or perhaps minor issues.

My iPhone 6 is the same exact hardware as the next iPhone 6. I've never hacked or jailbroken it. Tell my why would mine just be the odball? The difference in performance is all over the place, not with any certain app. It's on stock apps, etc. Laggy, crashy, etc!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My iPhone 6 is the same exact hardware as the next iPhone 6. I've never hacked or jailbroken it. Tell my why would mine just be the odball? The difference in performance is all over the place, not with any certain app. It's on stock apps, etc. Laggy, crashy, etc!
Don't know what to tell you. Just that the reality is that most people don't have their devices anywhere close to being crippled. For example, you can see it from many threads and post here--many people not complaining about anything and many of those that are are not complaining of anything close to crippling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.