Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jearsem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
Hello all,

I am new in iOS development. I have got some web development background and I know how it works when my website uses database, storage and etc. But I do not know how it works for iOS app? When I create app then Apple hosts my app data right? For instance if I developed image sharing app how would I access to storage or database? Do I have to always use Apple servers or can I use independent company?Could anyone explain me please?

Thank you very much for answer :)

Dookieman

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2009
All Apple does is host your App in the AppStore. You need to provide your own backend and database to communicate with your App. You can store the images locally on the device with Core Data or other things.

Create a RESTful API on your backend server that will facilitate communication between your app and the database/server.

I can clarify if needed.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
Typically if you are providing the images or data the easiest method is to download them to you app via a url from your server then save them in the app's file system. There's a lot of demo apps to do such a transfer and unless a database is needed Core Data is really a lot of work. You might also use a NSDocument class and save it either directly to the app file system or iCloud. If you use iCloud it, the file, would be available to the user outside of the iOS device.

jearsem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
I apologize for late answer. I was off. Thank you very much for all answers :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.