Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I have a question regarding the size of the app updates. When i download those updates for my apps for eg. FaceBook i see that the file size to be downloaded is 170mb. Are those 170mb added to the existing app file size or is the app file replaced by the 170mb update?
So when making multiple updates do i shorten the free available storage of my iPhone or not?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have a question regarding the size of the app updates. When i download those updates for my apps for eg. FaceBook i see that the file size to be downloaded is 170mb. Are those 170mb added to the existing app file size or is the app file replaced by the 170mb update?
So when making multiple updates do i shorten the free available storage of my iPhone or not?
That's actually the size of the full app installer, and not really the update itself, which will often be smaller. The update will update the app and perhaps make it a bit later in the process (or perhaps a bit smaller, or not really change it), but it's not something that just gets added on on top of what the app already takes up.

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
C DM you seem pretty sure about this, how did you come up with this knowledge?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
C DM you seem pretty sure about this, how did you come up with this knowledge?
Personal observations over the years and various discussions about this kind of thing in different threads here and other similar places online in the past.

SSAJ

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
Personal observations over the years and various discussions about this kind of thing in different threads here and other similar places online in the past.

I always wonder about this thnx C DM for answering my question

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Since iOS 6, Apple has supported delta updates to iOS apps. Sometimes, not always, the App Store will offer a delta update instead. How this affects the total size of the application afterwards simply depends on what has changed; it can shrink, grow or stay the same. The download then merely contains the sum of all files that have changed, that’s as low as Apple will look for changes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.