Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
This isn't about iCloud vs. Dropbox, this is about giving users choice. You can ONLY get apps through the appstore, and they won't post an app if it does A, B, or C - including sign up for dropbox/google drive?

This is in no way good for the consumer.

And I sync up files from various devices that cannot be done without using Dropbox. iCloud is nice but it doesn't allow me to sync a Mac, Windows PC and my Android phone.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
So wouldn't the solution be for Dropbox to remove the sign-up and upgrade access stuff from their SDK? Users of apps that support Dropbox could still go on Safari to signup for an account. Right?

What's the problem here?

Dorv

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2008
This is such a non-starter issue.

Agree with the rule or not, it's there. And Dropbox has an easy way to fix it, and upsell later.

Frankly, Dropbox should have changed their API to accomodate this rule change some time ago.

k0t1k968

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2006
Since when its become illegal to sell ANYTHING via Mobile Safari?

Last time I checked you were NOT allowed to sell things directly inside your app (unless you are using Apple provided APIs), but it was perfectly OK to open any URL in Mobile Safari. Drop Box API does exactly this - its open specific URL in external browser. I had an app which was originally rejected by Apple because it was opening a URL in web view and you could navigate to the page with "buy" button inside this web view. Solution - suggested by Apple - was to open the same URL in external browser (Safari). There are millions of apps which do just that. Opening buy/donate/subscribe pages in Safari. Are they all going to be banned now?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
So wouldn't the solution be for Dropbox to remove the sign-up and upgrade access stuff from their SDK? Users of apps that support Dropbox could still go on Safari to signup for an account. Right?

What's the problem here?

The problem seems to be that if Dropbox links to their web page for ANY reason, that Apple considers that to be a violation, due to users being able to click several links to get to a page where they can sign up for a paid plan.

Dropbox has made it so that the page that is loaded to authenticate users doesn't have these links anymore, although it means that you can't even get a free Dropbox account through the App

----------

Are they all going to be banned now?

This has been banned for a LONG time now.

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/09/apple-reverses-course-on-in-app-subscriptions/

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
And this is good for users how?

Unfortunately it seems last few years the old good for user philosophy of Apple past, has been forgotten. Often it seems or at least appears as if Apple are being ultra dictatorial - and it's that which creates such animosity towards them and their products from some parties.

Whilst I support a lot of Apples design decisions (preservation of user experience), sometimes a few just baffle and create a real dichotomy (as they are at the expense of user experience).

If Apple want to force app developers from utilising Dropbox support, how about they stop being anal and actually incorporate iDisk style storage back into iCloud.

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
Like I keep saying, we are going to have to jail break our desktops shortly. If you remember Apple's call 10 years ago was about Open Source, Open this, Open that... and now it's closed this, closed that, and if they frck dropbox then what's next? It's really getting ridiculous there, are they paranoid or something?

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
saddens me that idisk is coming to an end. even lion won't 't9' the word idisk like it does iPhone, iPad and iCloud.

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
This is such a non-starter issue.

Agree with the rule or not, it's there. And Dropbox has an easy way to fix it, and upsell later.

Frankly, Dropbox should have changed their API to accomodate this rule change some time ago.

And exactly why should Dropbox change its API because rules in some apple closed environment, thereby hindering the options for the majority of its users that are on different platforms?

And exactly why should Dropbox change its API because IOS developers use features of that API that they violate their developer agreements?

There is two things here: 1) the API should allow IOS developers to be compliant to their agreement with Apple. If it isn't, it should be changed if they want to participate in the IOS ecosystem - without disallowing non-IOS developers the features they want to use and 2) developers are responsible for implementing features in accordance with the agreements they signed. If they aren't, they should have their apps removed.

the read

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
This is another example of why the iOS is not the OS of the future. Apples attempts to barrier users from the fredom of choice is just frustrating. You buy their hardware, but they tell you what you can and cannot do with it.

Why do people put up with this.
I like OSX over windows, but the limitations to iOS make it an easy choice to move over to android.

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
iCloud integration is worthless to me, because of the crazy way Apple just backs every image and video up, my 5 GB space is always maxed out.

Dropbox integration in several apps I use is incredibly useful and flexible. I am really glad Apple wasn't able to buy them out. Either dropbox would no longer exist or it would undoubtably be much less powerful than it is.

muzzle79

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2009

What's the problem here?

I concur, Spotify sets you up with a 48hr preview in the app, and then it's up to the user to visit the website for the 30 day trial. I don't really see any difference here.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Oh, Apple. You know I love your products, but in this instance... **** off.

It's nice being able to send something to my Dropbox because it's synched to an actual FOLDER on ALL my computers, not some semi-imaginary place in the cloud that I can't quite access normally.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
It is my understanding Apple objects to "frictionless" methods to bypass to outside pay gateways, but not the mere presence or disclosure of same.

So you cannot have a button in the app that upgrades payware without paying Apple 30%, or even have a button that goes to your outside website to do the same. But you can have a banner that says the payware update site is at http://www.foo.com, (without a hot link) please use your browser to go there to update plans.

I think.

Rocketman

Last edited:

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
This is another example of why the iOS is not the OS of the future. Apples attempts to barrier users from the fredom of choice is just frustrating. You buy their hardware, but they tell you what you can and cannot do with it.

Why do people put up with this.
I like OSX over windows, but the limitations to iOS make it an easy choice to move over to android.

Yea I hear you, while I likely wont move away from iOS totally, for my phone at least. I will not buy a new iOS product until a public jailbreak is available.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
This has been a growing annoyance. Widespread Dropbox implementation is the one thing that elevates iOS to a somewhat-usable ecosystem. Without it, iPads and iPhones are novelties.

iCloud is cute, but as long as it takes a third party solution to provide the basic minimum functionality to make work on iOS devices possible, Apple should be bending over backwards to kiss Dropbox's butt.

iCloud needs to do both what Dropbox does and what iCloud currently does, and iOS needs to provide an option to be able to read & write directly to/from it. The solution isn't, come down on Dropbox hard without a service to replace it, leaving us all in a lurch. Get it together, Apple, jesus...

ristlin

Mar 29, 2012
Oh, Apple. You know I love your products, but in this instance... **** off.

It's nice being able to send something to my Dropbox because it's synched to an actual FOLDER on ALL my computers, not some semi-imaginary place in the cloud that I can't quite access normally.

Apple isn't telling you NOT to get Dropbox. They are simply asking for a cut (from the developer) if you decide to get a Dropbox subscription via the App you found on the App Store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.