Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

bryanescuela

Suspended
Jun 27, 2008
Can u help me here??

Do guys, I've been reading up and down everywhere and couldn't find answer to my question... sorry if it's been posted.

If I give full access to SwiftKey BUT I'm using the iOS 8 keyboard, does the iPhone or SwiftKey still sends the keystrokes to the SwiftKey server or whatever it sends it? or is that ONLY when using SwiftKey?

TIA

trebb

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Has anyone figured out how to do emoji with swype or swiftkey?

You do the same thing as you did before - you hit the globe. With SwiftKey, the globe button is directly there. With Swype, you need to press the left most key, then hit the globe when it pops up.

If you have 3 keyboards enabled (Swype/SwiftKey, Emoji, and English -stock keyboard), you will have to hit the globe one extra time to get back to your preferred keyboard. If you disable the English (stock) keyboard, you can switch between Swiftkey or Swype and the Emoji keyboard like you used to.

I'm not really a big fan of how this is done, but since "Emoji" is technically a keyboard in itself, I'm not sure what else they can do.

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
You do the same thing as you did before - you hit the globe. With SwiftKey, the globe button is directly there. With Swype, you need to press the left most key, then hit the globe when it pops up.

If you have 3 keyboards enabled (Swype/SwiftKey, Emoji, and English -stock keyboard), you will have to hit the globe one extra time to get back to your preferred keyboard. If you disable the English (stock) keyboard, you can switch between Swiftkey or Swype and the Emoji keyboard like you used to.

I'm not really a big fan of how this is done, but since "Emoji" is technically a keyboard in itself, I'm not sure what else they can do.

You should NOT disable the english keyboard because you will not be able to get back into your device once it's locked! Obviously this only applies if you use a complex password. iOS8 does not show 3rd party keyboards on lock screen, so you won't have any way to put your password in.

Last edited:

Solamar22

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
x
I want to love Swiftkey but my phone keeps switching back to the default keyboard at random times.....Ugh!

It MIGHT be that Apple keyboard is your default. Check the settings, and under keyboards, click the "Edit" button on the upper right. If you drag the thumb around you can set the default order. That might help yours show up as the default more often.

zerolight

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Glasgow
Well it seems that my corporate security profile from the Maas360 app is blocking keyboards in messages, reminders, and notes. Even though it isn't listed as a restriction. And yet it is acceptable in email. I guess this is a bug.

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
I'm using Swype and having a dickens of a time trying to figure out how to type a space then a textual smiley. So like this: hello :)

It keeps wanting to eliminate the space. If I type three spaces slowly I can do it, but there must be a better way. Any ideas?

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
And again: I don't have enought posts so I cannot adjust the wiki TS. But some other iOS8 keyboards which are planned or out there..

Also I think it would be good to add all App Store links in the TS so if someone could do that it would be great. See below my list which can be copied in the TS.

See also my list in my previous post.

Swipe/swype keyboard:
Swipe keyboard | Swipe keyboard app, free, English language only?

Still waiting on the release of Path Input..

Other keyboards:
BrightKey | BrightKey app, free
Kiwi | Kiwi app, free (in-app purchases)
Color Keyboards | Color Keyboards app, 0,99 dollar
Colorful Keyboard Pro | app, 1,99 dollar |
CooolApp | app, free (temporary)
ScribbleKey

tosbsas

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
Lima, Peru
There is a bug with alternative keybaords - although you set it as default, apps on restart will show default keybaord always

cipo

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2010
Stuttgart, Germany
Well it seems that my corporate security profile from the Maas360 app is blocking keyboards in messages, reminders, and notes. Even though it isn't listed as a restriction. And yet it is acceptable in email. I guess this is a bug.

Thanks zerolight, that might explain what I experience. Never even thought about Maas360, but it kind of makes sense.

sola77

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Really wish Apple would approve more 3rd party keyboards. The Themeboard and Type keyboard apps look promising & I can't wait to try them!

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Hi Everyone,

This will be the thread which we together will keep updated with the list of companies/apps/links of the custom keyboards available for iOS 8.

[MOD NOTE]
Thread turned into a Wiki.

I've got 27 post but i'm still not able to adjust the wiki TS. Shawn will you add/combine my posts here, here to the topic?

dahauss

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
There is a bug with alternative keybaords - although you set it as default, apps on restart will show default keybaord always

Yea I noticed that. Sometimes it stays and sometimes not. I ending up rearranging the keyboard order and removing the default keyboard and it seems to be staying with the one at the top ...

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Swype was just updated and now has an "enable full access" toggle.

Now I am back to using the default keyboard, plus the keyboards are bugged and don't default to the newest part of text, it goes to middle of my texts and I am tired of scrolling.

But I will type swype without enable full access when 8.0.1 comes out and they fix more issues. Still buggy

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
If you are I'm right there with you. I was excited about this until I stated trying to get these to work. IMO the default keyboard is better, it works!!!

Just one less thing to tweak. Some people love to mess with this and tweak that. I just want to use my phone.

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
I'm using Swype and having a dickens of a time trying to figure out how to type a space then a textual smiley. So like this: hello :)

It keeps wanting to eliminate the space. If I type three spaces slowly I can do it, but there must be a better way. Any ideas?

To follow up on my own question, I think I've stumbled upon something. If you swipe from J to the return key, you get a space and a smiley. At least I do, I'm not sure if it's because I did something weird with my personal dictionary. And not sure if it's a bug or feature... would be curious to know if it works for others.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
OK. I found the SwiftKey experience to be very horrid. So I go on the App Store to leave a review and rate it. I gave it 1 star because the bugs with it render it totally unusable. I type my review and list the bugs and found that it would not let me send the review. It turns out that I can send my 1-star review, but if I type anything in the text field, the send button is greyed out.

This is the first time I attempted to write a review of an app in the App store. Am I doing something wrong?

eipangan

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
FunKeyBoard - iOS custom keyboard with fonts!

Just approved by Apple...
FunKeyBoard - the iOS custom keyboard with fonts! :)

Link to AppStore: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/funkeyboard-keyboard-fonts/id917405868?mt=8

FunKeyBoard%2BPromotion.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.