Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Shaddow825

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2006
Anyone know how to make it scroll your content up above the keyboard when you switch away from messages and back again? The message content are displayed like there is no keyboard present and the keyboard half covers the content.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
Anyone know how to make it scroll your content up above the keyboard when you switch away from messages and back again? The message content are displayed like there is no keyboard present and it half covers the content.

I noticed this as well. Kind of annoying and I hope it can be fixed in an update.

Thoir

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
Well, I tried three. And I don't like it.
Very unnatural to use. I specially don't like the swipe thing. But that is just an opinion. I can understand why people like it.

The most I dislike about 3rd P Keyboards is that you have to give them full access. And I don't know what they then collect on data etc.

Swipe on swiftkey won't work unless you activate full access. And It feels so un-iOS to have brand names on the spacebar or weird setting buttons on top of the keyboard.

I understand that people want this. But I think it will take away the easiness of using iOS. For me, this was a very short experience with third party keyboards on iOS. I hope extensions will work better...

cipo

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2010
Stuttgart, Germany
i dont really pay attention to the line that draws. just swipe between those letters it should pick it up

:) I would not care about the line if it picked up the word, but it doesn't for me. As I swipe from 'a' to 's' it just switches between characters and displays 'S' when I stop swiping. It's only when I get to 'd' that it tries to interpret the gesture as a word ("add").

I realize now that it works if I swipe from the left edge of 'a' to the right edge of 's', but this is far too delicate for my taste. Same with "we". Swype seems to be a lot more tolerant.

trebb

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
This is brilliant! Now my SwiftKey comes up on quick reply thanks!

----------

Stupid question but emoji on SwiftKey and Swype? How can I do that? It's not the globe button. Cause that just changes which keyboard I use.

Emojis are a separate keyboard themselves. The globe button switches between keyboards - but you now have 3: Swiftkey, the native keyboard, and the emoji keyboard. I disabled the native keyboard from the settings (it's the "English" one), and now the globe switches to the emoji keyboard and whichever 3rd party keyboard you're using.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Well, I tried three. And I don't like it.
Very unnatural to use. I specially don't like the swipe thing. But that is just an opinion. I can understand why people like it.

The most I dislike about 3rd P Keyboards is that you have to give them full access. And I don't know what they then collect on data etc.

Swipe on swiftkey won't work unless you activate full access. And It feels so un-iOS to have brand names on the spacebar or weird setting buttons on top of the keyboard.

I understand that people want this. But I think it will take away the easiness of using iOS. For me, this was a very short experience with third party keyboards on iOS. I hope extensions will work better...

1. first day and apps appear very buggy come back in a week or so and try out one before you pass permanent judgment.
2. The nice thing about this 3rd party keyboard thing is you don't have to use them ever again if you don't want to :)

I am aligned with your opinion, I have used the IOS default keyboard for 6 years now I type much faster on it just because of the sheer amount of muscle memory I have developed using it for so long.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Swype's language support is really disappointing. Expected to see support for most languages right off the bat. But no such luck. Really disappointed right now to be honest...

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
I just figured out that you can disable the stock keyboard so that you can use a third party keyboard and emoji only.

spendley5

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2014
Minuum!!

Been using Minuum for the last 20/30 minutes and i must say it is soooooooo much better then the default keyboard. can type super fast on it and the auto perdition is awesome as well.:)

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
When you slide open a custom keyboard it doesn't slide the app up to make room for it like it does with the default keyboard. Seems like a half assed implementation.

patrickowtf

macrumors member
May 21, 2012
Chicago
Anyone know how to make it scroll your content up above the keyboard when you switch away from messages and back again? The message content are displayed like there is no keyboard present and the keyboard half covers the content.

i'm assuming this is a bug and i hope it gets fixed soon!

sososowhat

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
Been using Minuum for the last 20/30 minutes and i must say it is soooooooo much better then the default keyboard. can type super fast on it and the auto perdition is awesome as well.:)
Did you type this note on it? Auto perdition sounds horrible, not awesome!

per·di·tion
pərˈdiSHən
noun
(in Christian theology) a state of eternal punishment and damnation into which a sinful and unpenitent person passes after death.

Thoir

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
1. first day and apps appear very buggy come back in a week or so and try out one before you pass permanent judgment.
2. The nice thing about this 3rd party keyboard thing is you don't have to use them ever again if you don't want to :)

I am aligned with your opinion, I have used the IOS default keyboard for 6 years now I type much faster on it just because of the sheer amount of muscle memory I have developed using it for so long.

Oh yes I know, I can turn it off (which I did) and it is the first release and so on. I tested iOS apps before. So I know the drill. But it feels very cheap. And not something I want to use or going to use. Plus that whole - give the full access - thing.

zerolight

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Glasgow
I don't have the globe button in messages. How can I change keyboard? Works in safari and some apps. Not in messages or notes.

----------

Globe button appears when I add other keyboards. Just not swiftkey.

----------

Can't use swiftkey

cipo

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2010
Stuttgart, Germany
I don't have the globe button in messages. How can I change keyboard? Works in safari and some apps. Not in messages or notes.

Same here. 3rd party apps work, mail and safari work. Notes, Messages, Reminders do not. And it's not just SwiftKey, but Swype as well, so probably it affects all 3rd party keyboards.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Oh yes I know, I can turn it off (which I did) and it is the first release and so on. I tested iOS apps before. So I know the drill. But it feels very cheap. And not something I want to use or going to use. Plus that whole - give the full access - thing.

I have Flesky on to try out and like the the fact of how small the keyboard can become, it's free and you don't have to have any of the internet sharing on for it to work :cool:

spendley5

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2014
I just figured out that you can disable the stock keyboard so that you can use a third party keyboard and emoji only.

How you do that?

Thanks

----------

Did you type this note on it? Auto perdition sounds horrible, not awesome!

per·di·tion
pərˈdiSHən
noun
(in Christian theology) a state of eternal punishment and damnation into which a sinful and unpenitent person passes after death.

No i'm on my MacBook Pro. Just my experience for sending txt's and a few emails.

TheAppleGeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
St. Louis
Used Swype, deleted it almost immediately.

Downloaded Fleksy, Minimum, SwiftKey and TouchPal in the meantime, and love them all. Flesky and Minimum are my favorite so far, but I think I'm in a honeymoon phase with all of them.

Thoir

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
I have Flesky on to try out and like the the fact of how small the keyboard can become, it's free and you don't have to have any of the internet sharing on for it to work :cool:

In the Dutch App Store Flesky is €0.89.
I saved it in my wish list. As I leave the keyboards for now. On the same list I am curious about Ginger Keyboard.

ckisgen

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
Same here. 3rd party apps work, mail and safari work. Notes, Messages, Reminders do not. And it's not just SwiftKey, but Swype as well, so probably it affects all 3rd party keyboards.

SwiftKey works perfectly for me in all of those apps...no issues whatsoever (so far) with it not working with anything I've thrown at it (quick reply, system apps, third party apps, etc) EXCEPT password fields.

crosshair88

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
iPhone 5

So far, I've upgraded to iOS 8 on my iPhone 5, downloaded the SwiftKey app and I still don't see it in the add New Keyboard section. Any suggestions?

crosshair88

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
did you click on add a new keyboard?

I did tap Add New Keyboard... and it only has Suggested Keyboards (English) and Other iPhone Keyboards.

Update: I've purchased Swype Keyboard and it shows up as a Third-Party Keyboard but I still don't see SwiftKey

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
I tried 3 of the custom keyboards today. (SwiftKey, Touch pal, and Flesky)

I like SwiftKey the best followed by Touch pal. Don't download Flesky, it's a mess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.