Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Original poster
So I just noticed one of my idevices has some light scuffs/scratches on the back. They are really light (almost like a light grey colored pencil was used to draw tiny lines.) Anyway, I am curious if anyone has ever tried that Toothpaste method and if it actually works (and doesn't cause a weird uneven surface.) So yeah, would that work or is it not safe, (therefore not worth the hassle?) Thanks for any help ladies and or gents. :)

Kallum.
[doublepost=1462458507][/doublepost]*nevermind, I'm good.

Kallum.

Last edited:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
"That toothpaste method"? You assume everyone knows...

You will likely never seamlessly remove a true scratch from a matte or texture finished metal surface by rubbing it with any abrasive compound.

But if the scratches look like pencil lines as you say, it could just be that something softer than aluminum came in contact with the back and rubbed off on it. I would try lightly rubbing a small area of one scratch with a moist q-tip. If it's just a streak of plastic from a case or dirt, it might look like a scratch but not be an actual scratch.

sneak3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
It wont work. If you buff the area with the scratch to remove the scratch, the same area will end up with a different color/texture (which would be even MORE noticeable than the scratch) so you would need to buff the whole back. Live with it or sell/buy another one.

Reactions: silverblack

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
It wont work. If you buff the area with the scratch to remove the scratch, the same area will end up with a different color/texture (which would be even MORE noticeable than the scratch) so you would need to buff the whole back. Live with it or sell/buy another one.
This. Trust me, I've tried it before. No good can come of it. You will be kicking yourself for making it worse and long for the days where all your device had on it was some barely noticeable marks.

Reactions: sneak3

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
This. Trust me, I've tried it before. No good can come of it. You will be kicking yourself for making it worse and long for the days where all your device had on it was some barely noticeable marks.
.. I tried this on my PS Vita screen at one point and made it 100x worse. Felt like a complete idiot, haha.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Thanks all, I figured it was a pointless thing, I'm actually okay with it as it isn't a scratch but some odd scuffs or marks. Now as for the loose power button... (jk i'm pretty sure all iOS devices have some wiggle to their power and volume buttons.)

Kal.

maclancer

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
That's why when I bought an IPad, iPod or iPhone in the past... I bought also a tough case. That's the only thing that can protect your investment and keep it as new if you decide to sell it in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.