Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmy 7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2013
What updates do you want to see or do you think that are necessary to come in this?:eek::apple:

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
After spending some time on the iOS 7 threads, I have come across some things that I wouldn't mind seeing changed. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my iPhone and the way it looks and feels. I also LOVE CHANGE. When something is new and fresh I can fall in love with it all over again, just like I felt when the original iPhone came out. I tried Android, and it was just too slow and un-finished in my opinion. iOS 5 was good, iOS 6 was okay. I have high hopes that Ive will be able to wow me with a new operating system the same way I am wow'd by the beauty of the hardware he creates.

Here is what I would like to see!

Functionality:

:apple: Quick Access Settings (WiFi/Bluetooth) - I am on the go all the time, and these things being easier to access would save me so much hassle.

:apple: Group Message Fix - we have all been there, New Years Eve, and you get included in a group message with 3 iPhone users, and 5 sms users...you know what happens.

:apple: Lock Screen Update - the look of the lock screen is iconic. It was the first thing we saw when the iPhone was announced, and its does hold a special place in my heart, but I need to be able to do more with it now...we've moved on.

:apple: New Calendar App - OVERHAUL - there are options out there that are just so much better, and I love when Apple has the best option. They have the means to make this app the best out there.

:apple: New Music App - iTunes 11 Style? - we haven't seen much change here since the original iPod touch came out. I could use a refresh for the sake of a refresh. Love my iPhone for the music, and I use this app almost more than all of the other apps combined.

:apple: Choice of Default Apps - Chrome > Safari plain and simple. Either make safari better, or give me the option to use Chrome. Is that so much to ask? ;)

Design:

:apple: New Icons - Fresh, Flat, Friendly - When I update apps, sometimes what excites me most is a new icon. I love the design aspect, the art parts, of icons. I think a good icon makes the app. If the icon looks like trash...I will hide it in a folder and end up forgetting it is even there.

:apple: Photos Icon (sunflower, really?) sent to the trash! - I have had an iPhone for a long time...and I have yet to take a picture of a sunflower...so why use it as the icon? If we were being realistic by kind of pictures people take it should be either a plate of food, a selfie, or a mirror picture with abs. For real though...lets get a little more creative!

:apple: Easier Settings Flow - I have yet to own a phone that really did this well. Blackberry has the settings in each app by hitting the Berry Key. Android does something similar. Putting the settings for a app in a complete different spot doesn't make sense anymore. I don't want to leave an app, open a new app, to change an app?

:apple: Quick Reply/Interactive Notifications - the introduction of notification center was exciting for me. They need to really zoom in and make this the best it can be.

:apple: New App/iTunes Store - Current Layout actually makes me spend LESS time shopping around.

Not Needed, but Would Welcome:

:apple: New Keyboard - Modern feel - Even on Android when I could change my keyboard, I always ended up going back to the built in because it just worked better. Apples keyboard works great, and I can use it with my eyes closed at this point...so maybe just change the look and not the spacing/location of the characters.

:apple: Yahoo! integration - Yahoo weather is amazing. - I think Apple and Yahoo! have something in the works. By Google + iPhone. Hello Yahoo! + iPhone

:apple: New folder look and feel - Actually just noticed today how much the "linen" graphic is used, especially in the folders. Just make them more...Apple.

Really...that's not too much to ask...

----------

Wow. Didn't realize how much I typed.

Apparently I am ready for a change.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
-Redesigned Music App to fit the look of iTunes 11.
-Choosing default apps (only thing I really want from Android)
-Get rid of some of the more flagrant abuses of skeuomorphism (I'm looking at you Notes)
-Some form of quick toggles, heck I'd be happy if you could switch WiFi on/off from the main Settings page (as opposed to have to go to the WiFi page then turn it on/off)
-Live Weather App Icon (why not make that update to what the ACTUAL weather is rather than having it always at 73 and sunny, not everyone lives in Cupertino :mad: )

kot

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
So the new iOS will be visually redesigned and will offer integration with Vimeo and Flickr. So it's pretty much decided then, if they were working on new functionality we would have known that by now. And we only know about Flickr and Vimeo integration.

So instead of adding default app selection and shared disk space for apps and catching up with Android in functionality in general, Apple is feeding us with more social cr@p.

What a shame! I hope iPhone sales take a huge hit so that guys there at Apple who are responsible for iOS start actually caring.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
So the new iOS will be visually redesigned and will offer integration with Vimeo and Flickr. So it's pretty much decided then, if they were working on new functionality we would have known that by now. And we only know about Flickr and Vimeo integration.

So instead of adding default app selection and shared disk space for apps and catching up with Android in functionality in general, Apple is feeding us with more social cr@p.

What a shame! I hope iPhone sales take a huge hit so that guys there at Apple who are responsible for iOS start actually caring.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816

I like the part where you get angry at Apple for iOS 7, before you've even seen it.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Music App: Up next in the music app and more viewing options (view by date added)

Safari: back/forward, refresh and close tab gestures (for iPad).

Iceage

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2010
I want my iPhone to be able to rotate 360 degrees like the iPad so when the headphone jack is better at the top, I have that option. Also, at present I'm using other apps other than Apple's for my music (Rdio/Ecoute), email (Mailbox), weather (Yahoo), stocks (Stock Tracker), maps (Google) and calendar (Fantastical). The next one to go is the contact app ( as soon as the Fantastical app developers comes out with their version). I've got no problems with using other apps besides Apple's stock apps, but Apple should at least give us the option of deleting their versions (I've got a folder call crap apps for those). Apple doesn't even have an iPad version of the Apple store app! Lol

Apple apps need more than a cosmetic makeover, they need to a MAJOR overhaul. They feel old, very old...

Last edited:

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Washington
See this? This is my "Crapple" folder. I have trashed 12 of the 25 stock apps Apple has, and it would probably be a lot more if Apple would just allow two things, and I know it's already been said time and time again.

•Let is change default apps, wether it be third party or stock apps.
•Let is delete native, stock Apple apps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 153

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
Apple isn't going to allow people to choose the default apps, or delete the native ones, if you dislike it so much go buy a different phone. Apple is going to work to improve it's default apps, and I have read that the a lot of the stock apps are being redesigned, and Weather will have an "animated" effect for things such as rain, and it should look similar to the Yahoo! weather app in the AppStore.

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Washington
Apple isn't going to allow people to choose the default apps, or delete the native ones, if you dislike it so much go buy a different phone. Apple is going to work to improve it's default apps, and I have read that the a lot of the stock apps are being redesigned, and Weather will have an "animated" effect for things such as rain, and it should look similar to the Yahoo! weather app in the AppStore.

Sorry, but I don't agree with this. Apple, despite being extremely selfish at times, would allow this, as a possibility. It's a highly wanted feature among users. And, while I like the fact that Apple is redesigning apps like Weather and making it similar to the Yahoo! weather app, that doesn't matter. There are still going to be many people that have great disdain for stock apps.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
Sorry, but I don't agree with this. Apple, despite being extremely selfish at times, would allow this, as a possibility. It's a highly wanted feature among users. And, while I like the fact that Apple is redesigning apps like Weather and making it similar to the Yahoo! weather app, that doesn't matter. There are still going to be many people that have great disdain for stock apps.

Even though customers request the feature wouldn't be motive enough, I think this can actually open holes in iOS that Apple doesn't wish to open. Otherwise I think it would have been an option awhile ago. OS X is kind of the same way, except it is more open than iOS allowing it to be a bit vulnerable.

RTT

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2012
I really like it when I read on Forums 'Apple will not do that' as if they have the ear of Apple. In the end of the day Apple need to sell their devices to survive. Look at past Lotus, WordPerfect, provide what customers want or wither.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
If there is an issue with deleting stock apps at least allow a hide button, stocks is among a few others will likely never be needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.