Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I demand a QWERTY keyboard and an 8mp camera! Also, I should be able to plug it into a TV and play 1080p iOS games at 60fps! No lag, minimal loading time!

/s

Apple Watch is doomed until I can edit spreadsheets and edit photos on it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
LOL at anyone who thinks a screen size that small should have a web browser. What's next, will you say the Watch is a failure because it doesn't have a QWERTY keyboard?

Android Wear has an app a developer created that isn't a hack. I've used it once or twice, but the real estate, loading time and practically make it a parlor trick mostly. Something fun to try here and there. One or two sites actually work decently. But clearly mobile sites have gotten "richer" since smartphones are powerful.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appfour.wearbrowser

Some screen shots, etc..

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Similar to how the iPod was a failure based on a lot of comments at the time when it came out. Those are some rather hilarious threads to revisit.

Well a complete failure - it just took over a decade and millions in profits to finally die ;)

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Dude. Spreadsheets? Such an amateur. I want Final Cut Pro X on my :apple: Watch. :D:D:D

I want to be able to run autocad on it so I can design a 3d apple watch on my apple watch! Then I want to be able to AirPrint it to any 3d printer #

Or at least give me the ability to run windows on it!

Fiestaman

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
No; the watch is a failure because it shouldn't exist.

Seems like the only people saying this anymore are ones that are jealous of those that have one. Having more orders than one can handle sounds like the opposite of a failure. All three watches in my household are complete and utter successes. Absolutely love it.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Similar to how the iPod was a failure based on a lot of comments at the time when it came out. Those are some rather hilarious threads to revisit.

The first version were far from that popular and had quite some flaws. So people were correct in a lot of cases to comment .

Apperently rewriting history is also done for brands now?

errrick

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
I'm fairly surprised by the amount of people saying "useless", "not usable", "cool but impractical" like the guy seriously made safari run on a watch for everyone to use?

C'mon it's a freaking proof of concept, nobody will browse the web on a watch

All he did was to show the community that apparently there's much more inside the little device than 'app glances' and an ugly mickey and butterfly watchfaces.

Hopefully this will mean a jailbreak is possible and us developers will be able to start developing native watch apps or just anticipate someday there will be an official SDK for doing so.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The first version were far from that popular and had quite some flaws. So people were correct in a lot of cases to comment .

Apperently rewriting history is also done for brands now?
Ah nitpicking on some isolated facts to try to make it look like there was a point still. What first generation (or even beyond) device doesn't have some flaws? As a product the iPod was beyond even good as far as how it did for Apple. Most of the comments about the iPod being a failure were from the overall product point of view. Similarly the statements that are being made about the watch being a failure are about it as a product in general, and are rarely specific to just the first generation. Rewriting those comments to make it seem otherwise doesn't change what the comments were actually saying.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Comex? You mean the quitter who abandoned the Jailbreak scene at the first sign of trouble?

More like the guy who got out of the Black Hat scene when he found out there was bigger and more honest money to be made than hanging with the warez crowd.

brohan711

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
I think you're confused... browsers are becoming more common, not less common. There are now entire computers whose sole purpose is to browse the web. It's native apps that are dying.

As a native iOS/android developer who is rewriting a mobile web phonegap application into a fully native application. I beg to differ.

In terms of a business standpoint the penny counters go gaga over the fact that they can hire one developer to build a mobile website as an app for two platforms rather than hire two developers.

But any engineer who says that mobile web apps are more powerful or better in every way than native is committing a huge disservice and crippling the entire project.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The internet can still be used to distribute "small" information, but a whole new type of application (other than a web browser) would be required.

In fact, this is an example of how the Watch itself is different - mostly useful for niche applications, and/or usage scenarios requiring new paradigms.

I'm worried that if browsers are allowed on watches—I'm specifically looking at Android—that we'll start to see watch.facebook.com and other watch prefixed subdomains and then we'll be required to make extremely stripped down little web apps to run alongside other content and then the whole purpose of responsive design gets chucked. I think Apple has it right with glances and this is a prime example of how apps are sometimes superior to the web. Although it is more work for App Developers. I'm currently toying around with making some watch design comps for our app but I can't really find a clear reason for it yet.

Considering how popular platforms like Twitter and Instagram are—it's kinda crazy how out of the box, they seem perfect for the watch. Tiny bits of information and square photos. Boom. Things like that from the web should belong on a watch. Not a website about a business or whatever.

JustThinkin'

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2014
I'm currently toying around with making some watch design comps for our app but I can't really find a clear reason for it yet.

This is the crux of the matter: I think many applications will have the same problem.

Considering how popular platforms like Twitter and Instagram are—it's kinda crazy how out of the box, they seem perfect for the watch. Tiny bits of information and square photos. Boom. Things like that from the web should belong on a watch. Not a website about a business or whatever.

No doubt there will be some good applications (usage scenarios) for the Watch; it will be interesting to see whether enough of them actually offer a better experience or improve functionality enough to make it a mainstream device. Perhaps better voice recognition will become key.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Ah nitpicking on some isolated facts to try to make it look like there was a point still. What first generation (or even beyond) device doesn't have some flaws? As a product the iPod was beyond even good as far as how it did for Apple.
Nitpicking? The first couple of versions did not sell all that well due to wrong design choices . I dont recall it being called a failuer but it wasnt until it was improved sales drasticly increased.

So there was quite some just criticism on the first cople of generations.

Most of the comments about the iPod being a failure were from the overall product point of view. Similarly the statements that are being made about the watch being a failure are about it as a product in general, and are rarely specific to just the first generation. Rewriting those comments to make it seem otherwise doesn't change what the comments were actually saying.

It seems to me that any criticism is being labeled as "you deem it a failure just like for every apple product and every apple product was always from the start a succes"

There is some just criticism in the apple watch and there was certainly just criticism on the ipod that didnt mean those people all considered it a failure or a useless product, just that it could be improved a lot.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
I think you're confused... browsers are becoming more common, not less common. There are now entire computers whose sole purpose is to browse the web. It's native apps that are dying.

You're kidding, right?

Oh. Wait. Maybe you're looking at it from Google's perspective.
The "97% of our revenue comes from ads, especially banner ads" perspective.
So yeah, for Google it's browsers-or-die. The rest of the world is moving on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.