1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

iOS Safari - URL grab

Discussion in 'iPhone/iPad Programming' started by ifreeman, Apr 27, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi,

I want to grab the URL from a active safari page in iOS

I have 2 questions:

A. Is 'Safari extension' (which is available for Safari 5 for desktop) available for iOS ? can i create a cuztomized extension or plug-in for iOS safari ?

B. Is is possible to get the URL from Safari? by any custom apps or other ways?

Thanks a lot in advance

2. Moderator

robbieduncan

Staff Member

A. No

B. Not really. Your app could register a custom URL handler that would allow it to be launched from a web page with parameters being passed but that would require the page to be changed to do that. So it's not possible in general, generic terms.

3. macrumors newbie

Thank you Robbie!

for my second question, my requirement goes something like this ::

Say a person opens apple site in his mobile safari - www.apple.com

Now he clicks Ipad link - the URL in address bar changes to www.apple.com/ipad

Now I should start an application ( which I have already developed and installed in my ipad) when the 'ipad' link is clicked (in the apple site)- [Just an example]

So, in short, should I have a second application, which constantly monitors safari, and the moment a user navigates to www.apple.com/ipad, it will invoke my first application?

how should I go about it?

Thank you!

4. Moderator

robbieduncan

Staff Member

That is completely and utterly impossible on iOS using the standard SDK. It may be possible on jailbroken devices but I have nothing to do with them.

5. macrumors newbie

I am a beginner in iOS dev .... but your reply is that of an expert in this domain - saying a big NO -
    Hope i can reach those heights in iOS dev soon! :)

Just for info :
    My AppName is NewsPoster
    I want my NewsPoster app to be launced when user goes to www.google.com/news in his/her mobile browser.

Thank you Robbie