Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christopherpm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
I installed iOS5 to see what it was like - it's OK, but I'm not overly impressed with it on my 3GS.

Prior to this upgrade, I was running 4.3.3 Jailbroken.

I have all of my SHSHs saved locally as well as on Cydia.

I'm using Tinyumbrella to try and downgrade. iTunes unpacks and verifies the 4.3.3 firmware (which is the official IPSW file), then reboots the phone.

As soon as this happens, the DFU screen appears on the phone, and iTunes gives me an error 20.

Am I missing something here?

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Downgrade iTunes to something prior to 10.5

christopherpm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
OK - I've removed iTunes 10.5 and installed 10.4 instead. I'm still experiencing the same error...

cobrala

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
You're putting your iPhone to DFU mode before Restoring?
I was getting Error 20 until I did that - TinyUmbrella wants it in DFU Mode IIRC.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
i was on 4.3.3 i went to 5 i went back... no issues... i have not googled on what that error could be.. but if ur on a mac.. I would suggest using pwnage tool instead... to time ur DFU.. that works best. of course then u close it.. run TU.. then start itunes... then point to ur 4.3.3 firmware.. also make sure ur TU is not set to point to cydia for ur host files..

now getting the DFU thing right may seem easy but its not.. but if u use pwnage tool as a timer u will never have a problem.

christopherpm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
OK - got phone into DFU mode, attempted to restore to earlier iOS, now I think my phone is bricked - keeps booting to the iTunes logo....

Any ideas?

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
OK - got phone into DFU mode, attempted to restore to earlier iOS, now I think my phone is bricked - keeps booting to the iTunes logo....

Any ideas?

I assume that you have held down power button n home till u see apple logo and let go ? the usual way to do a hard reboot?

Sometimes you have to try a few times.... and theres really no way to "brick" by brick means to perm 'kill" an iphone that way...its just a matter of kicking it out.. if a hard reset/reboot doesnt work try googling for those methods/programs to kick the phone of what the call 'recovery loop'. theres like a couple of small programs out there

christopherpm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
I've managed to restore iOS5. In all honesty, as much as I wanted to downgrade, I nearly had a heart attack seeing my phone not booting - so I think it'll be a case of lesson learned, and I'll leave it alone.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
I've managed to restore iOS5. In all honesty, as much as I wanted to downgrade, I nearly had a heart attack seeing my phone not booting - so I think it'll be a case of lesson learned, and I'll leave it alone.

hahahah nah u worry too much I have had many iphones over the years and I have had such scares before... sometimes its just a matter of the comp acting up.. having to reinstall itunes.. total clean install or could be something or other.. dont worry :) if it doesnt work try n try again.. and I have had scares like you have but never had I ever have it not work.. sometimes it takes forever..like literally hours. ESP when you have 3GS.. you have a slow chip and sometimes buggy as well which complicates it even further.. If I was on 3GS I would not upgrade to 5..

happy 'hacking'

vice86

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2009
I too also wanted to go back to 4.3.3. after not really caring for 5 and it also making my 3GS laggy and slow...but also got the ERROR 20 and just the picture of the USB and iTunes logo on the screen.

As per cobrala's suggestion about putting it into DFU mode (holding down the power button for about 5 seconds then holding down power and home for about 10 seconds and then just home for another 10 seconds)....worked for me :) It's now putting 4.3.3. as I type.

Give it another try christopherpm should you feel brave enough to!

EDIT: I swear to God as soon as I hit post on this post of mine...itunes popped up a 1015 error...lol...cripes.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
I too also wanted to go back to 4.3.3. after not really caring for 5 and it also making my 3GS laggy and slow...but also got the ERROR 20 and just the picture of the USB and iTunes logo on the screen.

As per cobrala's suggestion about putting it into DFU mode (holding down the power button for about 5 seconds then holding down power and home for about 10 seconds and then just home for another 10 seconds)....worked for me :) It's now putting 4.3.3. as I type.

Give it another try christopherpm should you feel brave enough to!

EDIT: I swear to God as soon as I hit post on this post of mine...itunes popped up a 1015 error...lol...cripes.

You miss the boat. Unless you have SHSH blob save, you can't downgrade to 4.3.3 or 4.3.5 where Apple stops signing them. If you want to downgrade, then the only way you can do is to downgrade to 4.1. For some reason, Apple still signs this firmware. I just did it last night and it worked.

vice86

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2009
You miss the boat. Unless you have SHSH blob save, you can't downgrade to 4.3.3 or 4.3.5 where Apple stops signing them. If you want to downgrade, then the only way you can do is to downgrade to 4.1. For some reason, Apple still signs this firmware. I just did it last night and it worked.

I have the SHSH blobs...when I got the 1015 error I used tiny umbrella's fixrecovery-win app..the 4.3 version..you have to put it in DFU mode to work. Did its thing and now I'm at 4.3.3. again...WOOT!

Supposedly 1015 error is common in the downgrading tiny umbrella process

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
I have the SHSH blobs...when I got the 1015 error I used tiny umbrella's fixrecovery-win app..the 4.3 version..you have to put it in DFU mode to work. Did its thing and now I'm at 4.3.3. again...WOOT!

Supposedly 1015 error is common in the downgrading tiny umbrella process

Congrats! yeah, that 1015 error is very common and there are ton of tools to fix that issue TU, Ireb, recboot etc...

Now you can jailbreak it with jailbreakme.com where you don't even need to hook it to your computer. :D

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
im having trouble downgrading my iphone 4 from ios5 to iphone 4.3.5

does it matter that i wanst on 4.3.5 before?

i think i was on 4.3 before i went to ios5

i downgraded itunes to 10.4

nothing seems to be working im getting errors 1013 in itunes

heres how my tinyumbrella looks like

untitled_tayyll1p.jpg

was the SHSH saved from 4.3.5 ?

Last edited:

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
ok im back to ios 5 stcok

after an endless loop

do i need a lower version of itunes maybe ? like 10.2 ?

im trying to get to from ios 5 to 4.3.5

iphone 4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.