Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Hello there,

I have an iPad 2 I never upgraded past iOS 6.1.3, and while it's running beautifully and I jailbroke it (for f-lux), most new apps are now incompatible. I mostly still use Snow Leopard as an OS, and I already know using iTunes to upgrade iOS to the 9.x branch will prevent any future synchronization ability between iTunes and the iOS 9.x. But on Apple forums, it says that upgrading OTA to 9.1 keeps sync ability with iTunes in SL.

So, I'd like to know what to expect if I upgrade older hardware to iOS 9.3.3 (current version).
Apps will be compatible, sure, but what about the overall speed? I get the feeling that each new iOS version slows down older hardware.
Will it stay compatible with iTunes on SL?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Hello there,

I have an iPad 2 I never upgraded past iOS 6.1.3, and while it's running beautifully and I jailbroke it (for f-lux), most new apps are now incompatible. I mostly still use Snow Leopard as an OS, and I already know using iTunes to upgrade iOS to the 9.x branch will prevent any future synchronization ability between iTunes and the iOS 9.x. But on Apple forums, it says that upgrading OTA to 9.1 keeps sync ability with iTunes in SL.

So, I'd like to know what to expect if I upgrade older hardware to iOS 9.3.3 (current version).
Apps will be compatible, sure, but what about the overall speed? I get the feeling that each new iOS version slows down older hardware.

From a lot of people's description, the iPad 2 is a bitterly pathetic, stumbling, creaking, unusable zombie on iOS 9. Lag when typing, constant Safari reloading... not to undersell it or anything.

I can only go on my experience from the iPhone 4 (similar CPU) running iOS 7. That OS made it practically unusable and I had to say goodbye. :(

The iPad 2 has had a great run! But I wouldn't recommend updating. Others may be able to give some first-hand experiences about iOS 9 on the iPad 2, though I'm doubtful they would disagree.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Yep, an upgrade is basically the right choice. But don't get an Air 2 at regular price, $299 or less is the way to go.

JustinRP37

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
New York, NY
Hello there,

How old is your computer? I am running a late 2008 MacBook Pro and it runs fine on El Cap. As for the iPad 2, I would recommend a new iPad. I went from iPad mini original to iPad Pro 9.7 and the difference is amazing. The screen, the speed, the functionality is great. While many people are going nuts about the new commercial, I do think the iPad Pro is a great computer for 90% of the population. I still need a powerful computer as I do big data and research, but I use my iPad a lot, especially for writing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.