Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I also find it a bit hard to believe that Halebopp has managed to get 3 iPad 2's in the two weeks that they have been out and that he is waiting for the 4th given the production shortages. Unless Halebopp is going down to the Apple Store every morning at 7am and waiting in line for it to open so he can exchange the unit before the stock disappears. Maybe Apple Store is willing to hold one for you if you call the day before and tell them about the problem you are having and that you need an exchange. But I remember when folks where exchanging their 27-inch iMacs that had screen problems that it took quite a while to get replacement units.

As has been written a dozen plus times in this thread (including by Halebopp himself): Apple Stores have several units, in every configuration, on-site, that are not for sale but reserved specifically for returns/exchanges.

True story.

Halebopp

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
My bad if this is for real, it just sounds so much like the iPhone Antenna issues threads that started last year. I bought in to that whole garbage hook line and sinker at first and there were tons of newbies posting on the problem.

When I finally got to see a few actual iPhone 4's (never bought one since I am still under contract for 3GS) -- I could not replicate the problem. Over the past year I must have tried on about 20 iPhone 4's of friends, many times in areas of really bad coverage and compared it directly with my 3GS -- but no antenna issue could be discerned that was any worse than other smart phones and it consistently out-performed the antenna on my 3GS.

Clearly volume of posts (108,000) does not make the problem real since the iPhone 4 Antenna got more posts than I can count on more threads than I count. But it certainly lends some credence.

I also find it a bit hard to believe that Halebopp has managed to get 3 iPad 2's in the two weeks that they have been out and that he is waiting for the 4th given the production shortages. Unless Halebopp is going down to the Apple Store every morning at 7am and waiting in line for it to open so he can exchange the unit before the stock disappears. Maybe Apple Store is willing to hold one for you if you call the day before and tell them about the problem you are having and that you need an exchange. But I remember when folks where exchanging their 27-inch iMacs that had screen problems that it took quite a while to get replacement units.

So maybe it was/is a bit presumptuous of me to assume that since mine was fine that this was a repeat of that whole Antenna-gate thing. If so then I apologize, and I will reserve my judgement until there are enough iPad 2's out there in circulation for me to test with a dozen or so units of friends.

With regards to whether or not I think folks have the time or desire to post fake problems with regards to Apple products, I believe the answer is "yes" based on what I have seen. Does it mean that is always or usually the case, probably not.

@ BC2009
I would just like to report that I received iPad #4 last night - no problems, looks beautiful and zero light leakage, also passed the dead or stuck pixel test so I'm very happy. Genius bar and the people at local Apple store were extremely helpful even adding "if you still have any problems in a couple months just bring it back and we'll exchange at that time"

I didn't wait in any lines whatsoever, iPad was ordered online right when they went on sale so I received shipment fairly quickly with iPad #1. It was just good customer service by the "Genius" working for me.

solaris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Great news I guess...
But the "Ships: 2-3 weeks" is really lame for those of us living outside the U.S. Here in Norway the iPad 2 release was delayed two and a half week compared to the US, and while Apple shipped out to US customers the same day we have to wait some 2-3 additional weeks. Making it a total of 4-5 weeks. :(

Really pisses me off that Apple do not treat customers on all their markets equally. Bad policy!

CuppyCake

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2010
Washington, DC
I want my iPad

My orginal shipping was 4 -5 weeks, after this announcement, the date move from April 22nd to April 21st. One day is not 2 to 3 weeks. Come on Apple. The UK got a better deal than the US.

CuppyCake

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2010
Washington, DC
My ship date hasn't changed but the status has changed to prepared for shipment. As you can see I ordered it on the 11th and the whole time it has been listed with an April 1st ship date. So my best guess is that it is waiting for Mr Factory Guy to get in Friday morning and hand off the latest pallets of tablets to Mr Shipping Guy.

I was looking at http://www.appleordertracker.com, and it appears that orders with engraving included were taking longer. I ordered 3G AT&T; someone else ordered the same a day later, w/o engraving, iPad shipped.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
@ BC2009
I would just like to report that I received iPad #4 last night - no problems, looks beautiful and zero light leakage, also passed the dead or stuck pixel test so I'm very happy. Genius bar and the people at local Apple store were extremely helpful even adding "if you still have any problems in a couple months just bring it back and we'll exchange at that time"

I didn't wait in any lines whatsoever, iPad was ordered online right when they went on sale so I received shipment fairly quickly with iPad #1. It was just good customer service by the "Genius" working for me.

That's good to hear -- sorry for my assumptions. I think I was just a bit too worn from everybody swearing up and down that their iPhone 4 was dropping calls more than their other smart phones that I couldn't help but think "here we go again" when this light leakage thing started coming out. Honestly, some of those light leakage photos in the thread are no worse (and often better) than many LCD monitors I have owned. Some of them are pretty darn bad though. I'm glad to hear that Apple took care of it. Again, my apologies.

On the bright side... just think you have owned 4 iPad 2's in a time period that most folks have yet to get one. :)

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
As has been written a dozen plus times in this thread (including by Halebopp himself): Apple Stores have several units, in every configuration, on-site, that are not for sale but reserved specifically for returns/exchanges.

True story.

That makes sense from a customer service standpoint. It would be really bad for somebody to wait in line for hours, get a defective unit and then get told to come back tomorrow. Honestly, I figured that Apple would sell them as fast as they could to capitalize on the demand -- apparently they have not forgotten customer service is important -- too bad some of these units passed quality inspection though.

I gave my apologizes to Halebopp in another post. I'm glad to hear his 4th iPad 2 is perfect. Personally, I have never owned a perfect LCD, but some of those posts on that forum look like people being a bit knit-picky (meaning they have normal backlight leakage and are only noticing it because somebody else said they had a real problem). Other photos in there do look horrible for backlight leakage.

I suppose sometimes I can be a bit presumptuous. I'll try to watch that in the future.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
My orginal shipping was 4 -5 weeks, after this announcement, the date move from April 22nd to April 21st. One day is not 2 to 3 weeks. Come on Apple. The UK got a better deal than the US.

How many people got to buy the iPad in the UK last week?
Different not better.

coolbreeze06

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Just called apple. He said that anyone who orders today will not see their ipad till after Apr 26th. I ordered mine on the 15th it's ships on the 21st arrives on the 26th. Haven't seen a change in my shipping date. Hopefully I'll get bumped up eventually.

DonInOtown

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2008
Shipping time

Ordered my 32 gig wifi mid-day on release day, 3/11. Standard shipping Fed Ex - delivered on the 25th. Using it right now.

lindac701

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2011
shipping time

Good news!! My ship date improved.......by 1 day. Still in shock that the stores don't have any formal reservation process. blah

SCM Designs

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

So I ordered mine on the 18th when it was a 4-5 week wait. But with the new timelines online, now anyone who orders one now will get theirs at the same time I am supposed to get mine. In fact, I tested it by ordering a second and sure enough, the ship date was only one day later then the one I ordered over a week ago. They never updated people existing ship dates before reducing new orders timelines. Doesn't show any preference to existing orders. Everything I have is Apple, but never run into this much poor translation of information to buy one of their products. Shame to be disillusioned about a brand I've always been a fan of until now.

MISSLAY

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
DIEGO
This is crazy apple !

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

So I ordered mine on the 18th when it was a 4-5 week wait. But with the new timelines online, now anyone who orders one now will get theirs at the same time I am supposed to get mine. In fact, I tested it by ordering a second and sure enough, the ship date was only one day later then the one I ordered over a week ago. They never updated people existing ship dates before reducing new orders timelines. Doesn't show any preference to existing orders. Everything I have is Apple, but never run into this much poor translation of information to buy one of their products. Shame to be disillusioned about a brand I've always been a fan of until now.
Hello i also order mines on 16th and no change in date for me this is sad i'm sick of this :mad:

fatdawg

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
Finally got one in person

Apple Store in Stoneridge Mall (Pleasanton, CA) got a good shipment in yesterday (3-30-11) and didn't sell out until around 11:00 (according to the Zagg kiosk right outside). I got there at 05:30am and was #19 in line; they easily had a hundred units of varying models. First to go were of course AT&T, but I got one (32GB) and so did the lady behind me.

Canceled my online order, so hopefully someone waiting online will get theirs earlier!

bigcheese72

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
San Francisco
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Just called apple. He said that anyone who orders today will not see their ipad till after Apr 26th. I ordered mine on the 15th it's ships on the 21st arrives on the 26th. Haven't seen a change in my shipping date. Hopefully I'll get bumped up eventually.

Ditto here for delivery on the 26th. I've also been checking the Apple Store @ Stonestown in San Francisco here and there. Almost every day for the past week or so, I've heard people lining up at 5 am or earlier. Apple Store staff hand out iPad tickets around 7, so it's sold out the rest of the day. On the first day of the release at RadioShack, I was third in line at a store @ just after 8 am, and... the store only received two iPad 2s. Doh! Put my name on a list but that's been pretty much useless.

bigcheese72

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
San Francisco
Ditto here for delivery on the 26th. I've also been checking the Apple Store @ Stonestown in San Francisco here and there. Almost every day for the past week or so, I've heard people lining up at 5 am or earlier. Apple Store staff hand out iPad tickets around 7, so it's sold out the rest of the day. On the first day of the release at RadioShack, I was third in line at a store @ just after 8 am, and... the store only received two iPad 2s. Doh! Put my name on a list but that's been pretty much useless.

Got my shipment notification email today (Apr 12) stating that my iPad 2 delivers by Apr 19, 2011 via FedEx. My order was placed on Mar 22. Exciting!
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.