Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Digitimes has been the source of many supplier rumors for Apple's upcoming products, though their accuracy is always up for some debate. Based on our own record keeping at this time, Digitimes has had about a 55% accuracy on rumors that could later be validated.

A new codename finding by 9to5Mac in the latest iOS 5 betas seems to confirm that Digitimes has been accurate about some of their reporting on the upcoming iPad 3.

screen-shot-2011-11-21-at-8-21-15-pm-500x92.png

The "J2" model listed above corresponds to recent report in which Digitimes discusses two prototype models codenamed J1 and J2 that Apple has been working on.
Apple is currently giving two tablet PC projects codenamed J1 and J2 to its upstream partners for development. The sources revealed that the major differences of the new tablet PCs compared to the previous model are their size, specifications and technologies.

Since the new tablet PCs have a higher resolution, Apple has demanded the design of the light source to be changed from a single LED light bar to two LED light bars on the left and right sides of the machine, but since the method of adopting two LED light bars has created difficulty in shrinking the machine's thickness, some vendors have come out with designs that only adopt one light bar, but are packing two LED chips into one package.
The report is quite vague but does touch on an issue that has appeared from other sources as well.

The issue of the the higher resolution screen of the iPad 3 requiring a second light bar for the iPad 3 was also reported by Digitimes. iLounge later reported that the new iPad 3 would end up being 0.7mm thicker than the iPad 2 due to this need to incorporate a dual light bar system to support the higher-resolution display.

Apple is widely believed to be working on an iPad 3 with a "Retina" display that may double the iPad's screen resolution. Persistent rumors have suggested that Apple's partners have had difficulties in mass producing such screens.

Article Link: iPad 3 Codename Found in iOS 5 Confirms Validity of Some Rumors

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I just hope that no matter what iPad-3 may bring, it has more of an "independent" feeling than the last two generations have brought to us. I think it's a fascinating piece of art but I want it to become truly irresistible to me. I want it to become that one thing that an iPhone+MBA cannot achieve. I know that Apple will eventually give us that dream tablet. :)

(for the record: I went on a wild chase, earlier this year, to obtain the elusive iPad-2. I found it, bought it, and fell in love with it. However, it just didn't do for me anything that my iPhone wasn't doing for me and, because I couldn't justify the expense, I sold it and bought an 11-inch MBA instead.)

Last edited:

x13gamer

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Pure Michigan
Is there an iPhone 5 code in there too?

Bring on the iPad 3, if the rumor about it being way better then the iPad 2 true, is 2012 going to be the year of the iPad too?

Slovak

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
"The sources revealed that the major differences of the new tablet PCs compared to the previous model are their size, specifications and technologies."

Wow. Some analysis from those sources!!

Because if the size, specifications and technologies were the same -- we'd have the iPad 2!!

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Since size was mentioned, I wonder if it will be smaller than the current iPad? Maybe 7"?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Let's hope Apple can avoid the need for a dual light bar. It's a compromise I'm sure they'd rather not live with. A thicker iPad would be a step in the wrong direction.

robzr

macrumors member
May 4, 2006
Portland, OR
Quadruple the resolution, not double.

Screw a 7" iPad, Jobs was right. I just got a Kindle Fire, and the difference in usability of the 7" screen is huge. It's closer to web surfing on a phone than it is on an iPad, it's hard to press buttons and links, in landscape it's too short and in portrait it's too narrow. Granted that has more to do with 16:9 and 1024x600, but 4:3 7" would do away with being able to hold it in one hand, the only advantage to 7". So in short, screw 7", Jobs was right.

I'm going to return the fire, it's a piece of crap, not even worth the sub-manufacturing price it's sold at. It will only appeal to people who care about cost savings above any sense of quality, and those people are not Apples target audience. Anyways...

Rob

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
iPads are, and will always be, awkward products, until they run some form of OS X, or evolve into something as advanced as OS X.

Seriously, tablets are awkward. That's the best way to put it. They have an awkward place in the world of electronics. They're "neither here nor there"

I'm really curious as to whether the next iPad will just be a spec update, or if it'll have SOME sort of software update other than the possible Siri.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Let's hope Apple can avoid the need for a dual light bar. It's a compromise I'm sure they'd rather not live with. A thicker iPad would be a step in the wrong direction.

You do realize they're only increasing it by 0.7mm? If increasing it by that tiny amount means Apple can accommodate a Retina-quality screen then hell let it be!

----------

iPads are, and will always be, awkward products, until they run some form of OS X, or evolve into something as advanced as OS X.

Seriously, tablets are awkward. That's the best way to put it. They have an awkward place in the world of electronics. They're "neither here nor there"

I'm really curious as to whether the next iPad will just be a spec update, or if it'll have SOME sort of software update other than the possible Siri.

Well, with the way Apple is evolving iOS & OSX, there may be a time you will get your wish. It's definitely possible that one day they will merge both OSX & iOS into one OS. It might happen with OSX 10.8 or 10.9, who knows.

S.Jobs

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2010
Pittsburgh
apple will do what it is going to do and we will love every second of it... so lets stop guessing and just bask in its apple goodness :apple:

billystlyes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2004
Wow, I can hardly believe that Apple is coming out with another iPad. Let's see. iPad, iPad 2, then? This is a huge scoop and news! :rolleyes:

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Apple needs a 7 inch and a little lower price point. I have the kindle fire and it makes me want a 7-8" ipad so much.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
"The sources revealed that the major differences of the new tablet PCs compared to the previous model are their size, specifications and technologies."

Because if the size, specifications and technologies were the same -- we'd have the iPad 2!!
The most shocking discovery of all is that Apple seem to actively be working on an iPad 2 successor right now that is called iPad 3! I definitely thought the iPad project was dropped due to them selling so bad! What would we be without those analysts!

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006

Hahaha... I thought to myself, "What other thing could be added to that list?!"

Since size was mentioned, I wonder if it will be smaller than the current iPad? Maybe 7"?

A tablet PC, rly?

Not quite tablet and not quite a PC.

I picked up on that sly little adjective too...

Thicker, yeah, like adding the thickness of a razor blade so you can have a beautiful bright display...no problem.

Screw a 7" iPad, Jobs was right. I just got a Kindle Fire, and the difference in usability of the 7" screen is huge. It's closer to web surfing on a phone than it is on an iPad, it's hard to press buttons and links, in landscape it's too short and in portrait it's too narrow. Granted that has more to do with 16:9 and 1024x600, but 4:3 7" would do away with being able to hold it in one hand, the only advantage to 7". So in short, screw 7", Jobs was right.

I'm going to return the fire, it's a piece of crap, not even worth the sub-manufacturing price it's sold at. It will only appeal to people who care about cost savings above any sense of quality, and those people are not Apples target audience. Anyways...

Rob

The fire will sell like hotcakes leading up to the holiday, and then lead the pack on returns for the next 30 days. Even the least expensive iPad will do a better job of surfing Amazon than the Fire, and that's what the Fire was meant to do.

Dude! iOS is OSX, have you been locked up or something?

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
Thicker iPad? That doesn't sound like Apple...

But if it is nescessary, let it be. I Just hope, it won't be a lot heavier

Probably not heavier, most of the weight is the battery. Slip those double D cells out of your flashlight and you'll see what I mean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.