Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djrod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
My Wifi iPad 3 can't get internet through wifi, I can user home sharing to watch videos for example, but can't get Internet.

My iPhone 4 works just fine with iOS 6, though.

I'm the only one?

Edit : If your router has an option called WMM, activate it and problem solved!

Last edited:

bweston1

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2011
Same here. Glad I'm not the only one. I've tried a few different networks. WPA2 encrypted does not work. WPA Enterprise works fine. Rather frustrating.

bweston1

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2011
Ok. So I've attempted every configuration possible and I have no idea which device to blame. My current configuration is a Linksys 2500 router, MBP 2011, iPhone 4s, MBP 2009, Dell Studio XPS 16. Everything works fine except for the iPad 3rd gen. However, as I stated earlier, it does get access to the internet when on the corporate network at work. Anyone else experiencing this and if so what is your network setup?

willia75

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
I'm having the same problem, and I also have a Linksys router. I've tried restoring and updating, 'forgetting' the network and renewing the lease, but I'm still not able to connect. The router is detected and my password was accepted. My iMac and MBA are working fine. The iPad is the wifi only version, and I've installed the appropriate build.

oralmonkey

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
same here, cellular hotspot, workplace wifi or wifi sharing from ethernet, got that damn notice all the same.
i hope apple has already been taking care of it
got a little frustrated

zabadu

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
Same here, 3rd gen Wifi only iPad.

Restored using XCode's Organizer, but it's same using iTunes 10.6.3

The iPad is restored just fine, and eventually displays the first launch setting assistant. The wifi networks can be seen after a while, can be joined (and the iPad gets an IP) but no internet connection. Turning airplane mode on and off, rebooting, turning wifi off and on, all these don't help.

Linksys router here as well, but they are so common I don't think it's related. Or is it?

I had no wifi problem on iOS 5.1 by the way. Well done Apple :/

sgtbash

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2009
Italy
Same problem here, no Internet connection with new iPad, FritzBox! WPA2 connection.

iPhone 4S works as expected.

Tried both iPhone hotspot and Mac Internet Shared Connection and both works, maybe something with the wifi WPA2 encryption?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Either the problem is the user or the iPad...

If it's the iPad, get it replaced...

If it's you, get educated on how to use the device, and avoid traffic intersections...

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home

If it's you, get educated on how to use the device, and avoid traffic intersections...

It's definitely something to do with the version of iOS 6 for the WiFi-only 3rd gen iPad. I have the issue too, and over on the Apple discussion boards there's lots of people complaining about it. Obviously there's some major kind of bug that wasn't ironed out.

djrod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
Same problem here, no Internet connection with new iPad, FritzBox! WPA2 connection.

iPhone 4S works as expected.

Tried both iPhone hotspot and Mac Internet Shared Connection and both works, maybe something with the wifi WPA2 encryption?

I have two Internet connections at home, one with WPA and the other one with WEP, different manufacturers too, and I can't get internet from either of them, the iPad connect, shows that is connected in the top right, heck it even gets IP address, but no Internet.

So sad, I'm back to iOS 5.1

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
It's definitely something to do with the version of iOS 6 for the WiFi-only 3rd gen iPad. I have the issue too, and over on the Apple discussion boards there's lots of people complaining about it. Obviously there's some major kind of bug that wasn't ironed out.

Thankfully iOS6 is in Beta. Beta is rarely up to being a daily driver.

zabadu

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012

OK. Very same iPad, very same router. Wifi was working on iOS 5, is not working anymore on iOS 6 beta, and you don't even mention the possibility of the OS being the culprit. Totally makes sense. :rolleyes:

edit: Apple dev forums seem down...

Sonisk

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011
I had this after updating my iPad 3 to iOS 6. I went to settings, turned off wifi, and then reset network settings. Went back to wifi, connected to my router, and everything was fine again.

Hope this helps.

zabadu

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
I had this after updating my iPad 3 to iOS 6. I went to settings, turned off wifi, and then reset network settings. Went back to wifi, connected to my router, and everything was fine again.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip. Just tried it, but it eventually didn't solve the issue. The only workaround was to use internet sharing from my Mac so far...

Toby Ziegler

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Gallifrey
I've also got the same problem on my wifi only 3rd generation iPad. I tried resetting network settings, hard resets, clean restore as new, disabling my wifi security...none of it worked. According to my router and the iPad, all the appropriate network settings are being applied and it connects just fine, but no Internet traffic is going through.

I get that its a beta, but that's one heck of a bug to have missed.

Last edited:

djrod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
OK. Very same iPad, very same router. Wifi was working on iOS 5, is not working anymore on iOS 6 beta, and you don't even mention the possibility of the OS being the culprit. Totally makes sense. :rolleyes:

edit: Apple dev forums seem down...

the dev forums are really slow :/

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
Sounds like it isn't getting a default gateway or the routing is messed - that is why you can access other hosts on the same network but nothing outside.

I don't plan to put the beta on my iPad so I can't test this and give better feedback. Hopefully an update will be forthcoming.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I am having this issue as well on my Wifi only iPad 3. But it seems like A LOT of people are experiencing it as well.

ph0n33z

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2010
Yea, I'm going to hold off in upgrading until this issue is resolved. An iPad is pretty useless without WiFi.

Sixtafoua

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2009
Boston, MA
Yes, same here. It's annoying, but I don't do much browsing on my iPad anyways.
My iPhone 4's cellular internet also seems to lag more than before, but not nearly as bad as on the iPad.

----------

Hmmm. Any one having this problem with an Apple branded router?

Waiting to install after more light is shed on this.

i have an airport extreme, and I'm still having this problem.

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
I got Lucky it seems, mine is working great here.

One thing I did that may be different, because of the activation issue I read about, I updated mine from 5.1.1 insteadof doing a restore.

Edit: Using Airport Extreme (latest one) at home and an old WRT54GL running ddwrt at work.

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
32GB WiFi-only iPad3 here, and I have no problem with connecting to networks with the iOS6 beta.

Knock on wood, this has been one of the least buggy beta1 builds I've seen from Apple in a while.

GravityEyes

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2007
Nashville, TN
I went ahead and installed it. All is working fine. I have an Apple time capsule which seems to work on both iPad and both iPhones that were updated to ios 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.