Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nabwong

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
I have a 3 and my wife just got her first ipad, a rmini. The speed difference is not that great. The weight of the 3 doesn't bother me. All I care about is retina screen of a 9.7. I use it for mainly reading PDFs and recording myself. So there's no point upgrading yet.

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
I'm waiting. I went through more iPad 3's than I care to remember trying to get an acceptable (though far from great) screen. I've read enough posts about people having uneven, yellow screens on the Air that I've decided to wait another year.

My relationship with Apple can't handle another experience like the iPad 3. :eek:

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
I like the air, but can't justify getting it. It doesn't DO anything my 3 doesn't. Will get the next one I believe.

BUZZZZZZ. Wrong. The Air does do stuff the 3 can't. For one thing, the 3 can't do air drop -- which is fantastic to use to send photos and video quickly and easily between family members.

The Air is also faster in just about every App and on the Internet.

The 3 can't stay cool and the 3 can't stay light.

Oh, and since I purchased a new Air, I now have garage band, iMovie, iPhoto, and all the iLife and iWorks apps for free. My 3 couldn't do that.

Reading ebooks on the air is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better. Much easier to hold the Air due to its light weight and it doesn't get hot.

I sold my 3 to gamestop for $252.00 cash. Used the cash to purchase an Air. Couldn't be more thrilled.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
I'm keeping my iPad 3 since it's AT&T grandfathered LTE unlimited data and jailbroken. I use it to tether the unlimited data. I'll upgrade to a new iPad 5 or 6 when an iOS 7 jailbreak becomes available or AT&T allows tethering unlimited data.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
BUZZZZZZ. Wrong. The Air does do stuff the 3 can't. For one thing, the 3 can't do air drop -- which is fantastic to use to send photos and video quickly and easily between family members.

The Air is also faster in just about every App and on the Internet.

The 3 can't stay cool and the 3 can't stay light.

Oh, and since I purchased a new Air, I now have garage band, iMovie, iPhoto, and all the iLife and iWorks apps for free. My 3 couldn't do that.

Reading ebooks on the air is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better. Much easier to hold the Air due to its light weight and it doesn't get hot.

I sold my 3 to gamestop for $252.00 cash. Used the cash to purchase an Air. Couldn't be more thrilled.

You realize that this person is still happy with their iPad 3 and you're trying to convince them that they shouldn't be. You don't need to justify your purchase of an iPad Air to us--we know its a better iPad. However, its just not necessary to upgrade for some of us. I got my iPad 3 on launch day, and the Applecare agreement I bought with it hasn't even expired yet.

Buying new iPads every year just means more consumption, and one more giant puff of black smoke in the air to make it.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
You realize that this person is still happy with their iPad 3 and you're trying to convince them that they shouldn't be. You don't need to justify your purchase of an iPad Air to us--we know its a better iPad. However, its just not necessary to upgrade for some of us. I got my iPad 3 on launch day, and the Applecare agreement I bought with it hasn't even expired yet.

Buying new iPads every year just means more consumption, and one more giant puff of black smoke in the air to make it.

Correction. Every two years. :p The 4 was in between the 3 and the Air.

Also, the poster said there was nothing the Air could do that the 3 couldn't do. That is flat out wrong.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
I have the 4 and still ended up getting the air. Now I can watch netflix AND be on the internet at the same time - while in bed! I love em!

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I was going to buy the Air and give my iPad 3 to my mom, but after reading that it still only has 1GB of ram I decided to hold off. My biggest peeve with my iPad 3 isn't the speed, but the fact that it can't retain any of my safari tabs once I go into another program. Sometimes it can't retain a tab if I open another couple tabs and this is due to the RAM constraints. This would only be magnified with the next major iOS release which is undoubtedly going to use even more RAM.

Correction. Every two years. The 4 was in between the 3 and the Air.

Also, the poster said there was nothing the Air could do that the 3 couldn't do. That is flat out wrong.

If you're into sensationalism and exaggeration, I guess you could use the phrase "flat out wrong" but if we look at it from a realistic perspective, we would see that weight isn't a function and there are 3rd party apps that will do what air drop does. So he's right unless you find something that we REALLY can't do with an iPad 3 that you can with the Air. Maybe if the 3 was heavy enough to not be able to carry you'd have a point, or if the app store didn't exist, you'd have another point but that isn't the case.

If we're going to be honest with ourselves, the iPad has not gained any real functionality since the iPad 2 which added cameras that the original ipad didn't have. Since the 2, the functions have remained the same, the device just got better (Retina/video/photos) or faster.

Last edited:

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
I wasn't going to bother until a friend offered me 400 euros for my 64g ipad 3 as a Christmas present for his wife. As I can also claim the vat back, the ipad air I ordered is costing me 145 euros, so it was a no brainer

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I was originally going to sell my ipad 3 and get an air, but I think I've decided to wait until the next model. I still use this ipad everyday on ios 6 and its very fine for me. I also couldn't find anyone to buy it off of me.

Do you feel the same?

Nope. Just got a new Air, considering that the performance is astounding as per various reviews. It would be harder to justify it from an iPad 4 - but for anyone having an iPad 3 or earlier this is a no-brainer.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I upgraded to the Air because I wanted a cellular iPad, but I still have my 3. I was going to sell the 3 but with prices dropping so fast I decided to just keep it. It comes in handy when my Air is charging, and other family members can use it too. I really wanted the Air to have 2 gigs ram so it wasn't an easy decision to upgrade. The 3 is a tad slower but still gets the job done and if I hadn't wanted a cellular iPad it would have been easy to wait another year.

nabwong

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
I wasn't gonna upgrade but I chanced upon an open box 64gb that was $100 less than brand new. It was just meant to be. There was only 1 piece and it was just placed on the shelf. Awwwwwwww yeah!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.