Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
how does it feels ending up with the same iPad 2, the same processor and a brand new retina display? thanks God I didn't fall on the rabbit hole.

He should feel great. Let's evaluate his prediction you quoted one by one:

- Of course it is going to be faster than the 2: Let's say it's wrong since the CPU is the same.

- better graphics: Correct

- and more RAM: Correct

- better cameras: Correct

- and, oh ya, that gorgeous retina display: Correct

So he's right in 4 out of 5 predictions. That's a "rabbit hole"?

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
Not worth it dude. It doesnt matter if the camera is better... Nobody will carry an iPad to a concert. Graphix? It is a little fast but use an app that require a fast graphic card and tell me if you see a difference.. Sketchbook ink? Laggy as hell. So if the only thing will be a retina display and the rest is a more or less the same experience... Then yes it was a rabbit hole. I'll wait for the next one.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
how does it feels ending up with the same iPad 2, the same processor and a brand new retina display? thanks God I didn't fall on the rabbit hole.

Feels great. It was so sweet of you to ask. True, the processor didn't change, so unfortunately I'm stuck with the same perfectly smooth experience I had with the iPad 2. However, the screen is gorgeous and necessary for someone who writes and reads on the iPad as much as I do. Having LTE is amazing. I get between 35-49Mbps in the GTA, which is a very noticeable improvement for remote connections, sending huge emails (like 20MB CAD files), and just browsing the web.

The cameras are a blessing. I do several site walkthroughs a week and have always used my iPad to mark up architectural drawings as I progress throughout site. Let me tell you, it is fantastic to finally have a good camera on the tablet so I can take site photos without juggling an iPhone in the other hand, and to have the photos on the iPad so I can email them to trades as soon as the walkthrough is over, instead of needing to wait until I get back to the office to email the drawings from the iPad and the photos from my iPhone.

Closer to the heart, my first child was born in February, and I am not a person who keeps my phone in my pocket while I'm around the house. I have captured so many beautiful moments on the iPad. In fact, I caught my son's first laugh in 1080p on the iPad and would have missed it if I had to run to get my iPhone.

Again, thank you for checking in. I could not be happier with my experience on the iPad 3. I hope you are just as happy with your iPad 2 and perhaps next year we can share more polite conversations, when we will both be using iPad 4s.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
Feels great. It was so sweet of you to ask. True, the processor didn't change, so unfortunately I'm stuck with the same perfectly smooth experience I had with the iPad 2. However, the screen is gorgeous and necessary for someone who writes and reads on the iPad as much as I do. Having LTE is amazing. I get between 35-49Mbps in the GTA, which is a very noticeable improvement for remote connections, sending huge emails (like 20MB CAD files), and just browsing the web.

The cameras are a blessing. I do several site walkthroughs a week and have always used my iPad to mark up architectural drawings as I progress throughout site. Let me tell you, it is fantastic to finally have a good camera on the tablet so I can take site photos without juggling an iPhone in the other hand, and to have the photos on the iPad so I can email them to trades as soon as the Yywalkthrough is over, instead of needing to wait until I get back to the office to email the drawings from the iPad and the photos from my iPhone.

Closer to the heart, my first child was born in February, and I am not a person who keeps my phone in my pocket while I'm around the house. I have captured so many beautiful moments on the iPad. In fact, I caught my son's first laugh in 1080p on the iPad and would have missed it if I had to run to get my iPhone.

Again, thank you for checking in. I could not be happier with my experience on the iPad 3. I hope you are just as happy with your iPad 2 and perhaps next year we can share more polite conversations, when we will both be using iPad 4s.

You are just happy with the new toy. Even myself was trying to explain how great my HTC EVO 4G was until someone explain to me that I was living in a 'new toy feeling zone' after a month I realized he was right... I hated that damn phone... And I was stuck with it.

You know. And I know you do. The iPad 2 was good enough. Retina display doesn't justify spend $500 dollars. On the other hand... The New Macbook Pro is a hell of a beauty/deadly machine! I'm buying that as soon I receive my first paycheck!

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
You are just happy with the new toy. Even myself was trying to explain how great my HTC EVO 4G was until someone explain to me that I was living in a 'new toy feeling zone' after a month I realized he was right... I hated that damn phone... And I was stuck with it.

You know. And I know you do. The iPad 2 was good enough. Retina display doesn't justify spend $500 dollars. On the other hand... The New Macbook Pro is a hell of a beauty/deadly machine! I'm buying that as soon I receive my first paycheck!

I have to disagree. Now, I don't mean to say that I don't think the iPad 2 is "good enough". It is a very capable device and certainly is good enough for most iPad users. I, however, see value in the third generation, even without this three month affliction of self-justifying delusion you attempt you dismiss my opinion by. Of course, I do not expect this to satisfy you as I do not believe you will accept satisfaction from any angle opposed to your own. So, I will not waste keystrokes in any further responses. To each their own, I say.

Hopefully, we will both see eye to eye on the Retina MacBook Pros. I will be receiving mine soon as well, replacing my aging 2008 unibody.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.