Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I realize beta performance is not representative of what the GM will be, but what are your impressions of how 9 runs on older iPads -- specifically 3rd gen (the first retina one)?

What chance do we have it's usable?

Reactions: MacMartyr

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Usable as in back to iOS 7 levels is a possibility, but this won't change the fact that the A5X is underpowered (in terms of CPU and GPU) to drive the iPad 3's retina display, so in some cases, the iPad 2 will run better.

Dokk

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
IA, TX ... I never know
I'm running it on mine and have to say that I think it runs better than iOS 8. Everything is a bit more responsive. Even typing is a bit better and more responsive than before. There are still some hiccups (e.g., no drawing in notes yet), but I'm glad I made the update and am looking forward to the full release.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
With a few caveats, I'm actually pretty happy with the B2 OS on my iPad 3, and I do prefer it over iOS 8.3 so far.
The caveats are there are several apps I use that don't work either well or at all (this will change over time), I have iCloud Drive and Photos (Stream, Sharing) turned off, and I still prefer to use it with the Reduce Motion option on.
My iPad is the VZW LTE version, and it works better than I expected so far but I have noticed the "signal bars" fluctuate quite a bit although not having lost a signal - I streamed music via Amazon Music and the Music apps for about 6 hours yesterday with no issues.

I'll be trying out a couple of BT styli later with some Adobe apps.

B2 is far snappier than B1; I installed B2 over a clean B1 install using the OTA option. B2 didn't change the crashing of the apps that crashed under B1. B2 battery life is much better than I expected, but B1 was excellent too (4 days of light usage took it from 100% to 66% last week).

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Usable as in back to iOS 7 levels is a possibility, but this won't change the fact that the A5X is underpowered (in terms of CPU and GPU) to drive the iPad 3's retina display, so in some cases, the iPad 2 will run better.

I can't really agree with you.

My iPad 3 sang on iOS 6, and has gone downhill with every maajor OS update since.

Sure there are instances where the 2 might run better because of what you're saying, but let's not forget how great it was on iOS 6. More than usable, it was GREAT.

Now, I can barely use the thing without going a bit crazy due to lags. Wish there was a way to downgrade to iOS 7 (would love to use iPhoto again!)

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

My iPad 3 sang on iOS 6, and has gone downhill with every maajor OS update since.

Sure there are instances where the 2 might run better because of what you're saying, but let's not forget how great it was on iOS 6. More than usable, it was GREAT.

Now, I can barely use the thing without going a bit crazy due to lags. Wish there was a way to downgrade to iOS 7 (would love to use iPhoto again!)

But are you running iOS 9 on yours?

I found that my Mum's iPad 3 runs iOS 7.1.2 about as well as it ran iOS 6, but I haven't updated it to iOS 8 as I know it will suffer. I'm hoping that iOS 9 slightly improves over iOS 8 as then I'll skip 8 and wait till 9 for her.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas

I'm still optimistic about iOS 9. Plus, even if performance is not the best, the amount of features that Apple has added since iOS 6 is worth it.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here

It's always been underpowered, it just became more noticeable when a more taxing operating system was installed on it. The iPad 2 used the A5 processor with a dual-core GPU. Apple quadrupled the number of pixels on the iPad 3, but only doubled the GPU power (to a quad-core version of the same chip). As a result, effective graphics performance on the iPad 3 is lower than on the iPad 2.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
I'm running it on mine and have to say that I think it runs better than iOS 8. Everything is a bit more responsive. Even typing is a bit better and more responsive than before. There are still some hiccups (e.g., no drawing in notes yet), but I'm glad I made the update and am looking forward to the full release.

I've just found there is no drawing in the notes app on the beta! I find that really annoying as that's why I installed the beta.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.