Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Most ideal case scenario:
Apple releases iPad 3 in Q1,
It will include:
  • same design, only slightly (~1mm) thicker
  • 2048x1536 "retina" display
  • quad-core A6 CPU with improved graphics; 1gb RAM
  • improved cameras (1.3mp front, 5mp rear)
  • same or better storage capacity (16gb, 32gb, 64gb) 128gb? [unlikely]
  • 3g models will come in "universal" flavor, you'll be able to pick a carrier (implausible, but ideal case scenario)
  • same price points ($499 [16gb], $599 [32gb], $699 [64gb]) $799? [128gb]
base iPad 2 model price will drop to $300-400 (either 16gb, or a lower 8gb capacity)

Other case scenarios:
Apple will not release significantly improved "iPad 3" but a more iteratively improved "iPad 2s"
It might include:
  • same design
  • quad-core CPU/improved graphics; no 2048x1536 retina display
    or
  • 2048x1536 retina display; no improvement to CPU/ graphics
  • same storage capacities (16gb, 32gb, 64gb)
  • reduced price points ($399 [16gb], $499 [32gb], $599 [64gb])
the iPad 3 will subsequently come out in 2H 2012 or in Q1 2013
Unlikely case scenarios:
Apple releases 2 models of the iPad (e.g. retina iPad 3 and slightly improved iPad 2s)
Apple releases second iPad line (e.g. 7 inch iPad)
Apple only iteratively updates the iPad, yet raises prices
Apple doesn't update the iPad until 2013

And no, I did not need an analyst to tell me that :rolleyes:

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
I waited for the iPad 2 because the iPad 1 had no camera. Then my father got the iPad 2 when it was released and I was terribly disappointed with the cameras.

Even though the camera upgrade is an obvious, it should finally settle my reason to purchase the upcoming iPad 3.

Can I say stoked?

It seems a little awkward to use as a Camera... but I guess if that is your most important trait. I'm more interested in the retina display.

GodWhomIsMike

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
I had $300 set aside, which I was going to use $200 of it for the Amazon Kindle Fire, but I might hold out until March. I will continue saving some cash until then.

Genetheninja

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
Honestly, unless the processor is significantly faster I'm more interested in the price drop of the iPad 2 because just one iPad 2 in the house it seems is just not enough for my family!

khakiman

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2009
Source = Guess

I love how all the articles always say "from our source" which means nothing. :D We will just have to wait until Apple makes the announcement.

jca666us

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2005
Why is everyone assuming a quad core a6 - I'm leaning towards a dual core a6 - which would have a cortex a15 instead of a cortex a9 - bumped up to 1.2 - 1.5 ghz.

That would give us a better than 4x processing improvement - to compensate for the retina display.

It will include:
  • 3g models will come in "universal" flavor, you'll be able to pick a carrier (implausible, but ideal case scenario)
base iPad 2 model price will drop to $300-400 (either 16gb, or a lower 8gb capacity)

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
The iPad3 better have an improved camera... the iPad2 one is pitiful. So that wouldn't be too unexpected.

The iPad2 at a lower price does seem to be interesting. It would certainly ramp up the pressure on the Kindle and Androids. But I can't see Apple really doing that AND releasing a 7" iPad at the same time. But who knows? :eek:
Apple is not releasing a 7" iPad. And oh, the rumours are talking about 7.85" which is more like 8". A 8" tablet is a huge increase over a 7" tablet.

----------

It will include:

Other case scenarios:
Apple will not release significantly improved "iPad 3" but a more iteratively improved "iPad 2s"
It might include:
  • same design
  • quad-core CPU/improved graphics; no 2048x1536 retina display
    or
  • 2048x1536 retina display; no improvement to CPU/ graphics
  • same storage capacities (16gb, 32gb, 64gb)
  • reduced price points ($399 [16gb], $499 [32gb], $599 [64gb])
the iPad 3 will subsequently come out in 2H 2012 or in Q1 2013
Unlikely case scenarios:
Apple releases 2 models of the iPad (e.g. retina iPad 3 and slightly improved iPad 2s)
Apple releases second iPad line (e.g. 7 inch iPad)
Apple only iteratively updates the iPad, yet raises prices
Apple doesn't update the iPad until 2013

Luckily, because your analysis is completely off.

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Apple is not releasing a 7" iPad. And oh, the rumours are talking about 7.85" which is more like 8". A 8" tablet is a huge increase over a 7" tablet.

If you want to talk specs about a product that hasn't been released yet (and may never be), go ahead... I'm aware of the 7.85" rumors but many people here have still referred to it as 7" anyways. I think most people would have understood regardless. :rolleyes:

The bigger point was that I personally don't think Apple would announce the release of a smaller iPad, the iPad 3, and the lowering of iPad 2 prices at the same time. I know Steve isn't around anymore (do i have to clarify that too?) but that would almost be like saying "oh, one more thing" (small iPad) on top of another "oh one more thing" (iPad 3).

I think it's more likely to see a cheaper iPad 2 than a smaller iPad at this point in time.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, but pretty safe speculation. Do think Apple could/would price it lower than $399?

I think it depends on the prices for storage. If they move to an 8gb sure that would probably be cheap enough to knock it down to $349. or if the prices of storage lower enough then they be able to keep the 16 and go that low. But I don't think they will go lower than $349. Why? Because if they go too low it cheapens it too much and folks can develop the attitude that it is in fact a toy and not take as much care of it. Apple isn't likely to want to have to produce a lot of stock for replacing damaged items, even at a cost to the customer, over actual defects. Plus the increase in traffic to the Genius Bars is a PR mess etc

Mr.DD216

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2011
About Time!

Although alot of people dont see themselves using the iPad as a , I do! I hope this is true and they do add an HD for facetime and a 5, 6, or 8 MP camera on the back as well. Oh & don't forget a video camera that records in full 1080p. I don't care much for a few more mm of thickness, the current iPad is thin enough to me & i feel like if it gets any thinner then it might break easier. But any way it goes, this will be my first iPad so i can't wait!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Improved cameras.

Shouldn't this be filed under 'obvious'? :confused:

Everything in the article is obvious. Basically this is the 'safe' prediction set up so they can say they called it or at least most of it if the screen stuff changes (which they didn't repeat)

Basically they are saying that the iPad 3 won't be a "3" so much as a "2s"

----------

Oh & don't forget a video camera that records in full 1080p.

They won't do that unless they do the same to the screen otherwise what's the point. They would also need a storage bump cause that footage will suck up your space rather fast.

That said, I think both are in the cards, but I wouldn't count on it being this year.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Oh come on! Isn't it obvious by now that Apple will follow the same pattern as the iPhone. It wouldn't surprise me if Apple releases the iPad 2S in 2012 and lowers the price of the iPad 2 to compete with the Kindle Fire. iPad 2 will be at $199/$299/$399 price, whereas the iPad 2S will be at the $499/$599/$699 price. iPad 3 probably won't see the light of day until 2013!

Not sure they can afford to do that at this stage. I get what you mean but I hope you're wrong.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Apple should keep carrying and supporting older machines.

Carrying old machines means fragmenting so no that's not likely to happen on any kind of large scale.

As for the supporting, they already do that to a much higher degree than many other companies. Both in terms of hardware support and just having software that works on older machines. You can use Lion on any system that has a dual core processor and a 1gb of ram, io5 works going back to the 3gs etc. If you ever read any of the articles about Android it seems like its updates don't work on anything more than 3 months ago.

Apple also recycles their physical designs for ages even when the 'masses' are yelling they are overdue to change it. This allows them to keep using many parts without having to have production factories retooled. Compare this to say Toshiba who can't even use the same power port design from model to model so if you lose a power adapter you can't use the one from the computer you bought six months ago, it doesn't fit.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Luckily, because your analysis is completely off.

First of all, it is not analysis, it is speculation. I was poking fun at the so-called analysts releasing speculation reports and calling it "analysis".

Secondly, it cannot be "off" because I've outlined most ideal, and other possible case scenarios. I am not saying it will happen. I am mererly pointing out what people expect / what is likely to happen.

Thirdly, how do you know it's "completely off"? Do you know of Apple's plans? If you do, would you be so kind as to share it with us?

Why is everyone assuming a quad core a6 - I'm leaning towards a dual core a6 - which would have a cortex a15 instead of a cortex a9 - bumped up to 1.2 - 1.5 ghz.

That would give us a better than 4x processing improvement - to compensate for the retina display.
Did I not point out that it would be under most ideal case scenario? Anyway, I think you're most likely right in that respect. It would make more sense for Apple to include a dual-core processor with slightly improved power & graphics to satisfy the retina display and keep costs down. I just don't see how Apple could make a quad-core, retina iPad and still preserve current price points, at least at this point in time.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Needs to be $299 to hurt competition.

You assume that's why they would drop the price.

Apple has never shown that they really care about the competition and it's game plans. So it's unlikely they would lower the price to try to meet/beat the other teams.

If they keep the 16GB Wifi iPad 2 around (and that is likely the only one they might) it would have less to do with the competition and more with understanding that not everyone needs whatever the iPad 3 is giving them. And knowing that they already have markets that would snatch it up. Schools would love a slightly cheaper iPad to make the kiddies buy as it would kill some of the griping they hear from families with several kids. And the lower price would be easier for them to cover with grant money etc. Hospitals, restaurants etc only perhaps need the iPad 2 for their uses. Airlines might buy up hundreds of them to test renting on planes.

----------

I think whats more plausible is the iPad 2 will remain at that $499 price point, but the iPad 3 will have a higher price point, this is assuming it has higher spec'd hardware, retina display & higher resolution..

Not Apple's style. Everyone knows that tech prices drop over time so keeping the price the same when the cost come down is better PR than jacking the price cause the insides are better. Reeks of Apple trying to get more profit since their cost was likely the same

The only way I can see them raising the price just a tad is if the prices came down enough that they could ditch the whole wifi only line and just sell the 3gs but say starting at $529-549. Keep the 16 GB wifi only iPad 2 at $399 in that game.

----------

If the average consumer walks into a store and compares the new model with the cheaper one they will most likely buy the cheaper one especially if it looks like the latest one.

In a place like Best Buy where the sales folks don't seem to do any selling that might be true. But Apple's sales staff are typically in your face when you are there. There's little chance they won't make the difference clear to you, whether you want the info or not :eek:

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
These rumors seem so random. Honestly, its hard to imagine what great upgrade the iPad is going to get this year other than a Retina Display.

1) Assuming the A6 processor ready, then we should maybe expect a Cortex-A9 quad-core in the iPad 3 with improved graphics (probably obvious)

2) Bumping the resolution for the cameras is obvious, but by how much? Historically Apple has realized that only very strange people use their tablet as a point-and-shoot camera (though I did witness an iPad 2 being used this way at Disneyland in December -- the owner looked very silly snapping a shot of her daughter dancing with Disney princesses using her iPad 2 -- As an aside, I also witnessed a couple with his-and-her iPad 2s walking around the park with the iPads held just below the chests and their eyes on their screens instead of where they were walking -- very silly looking indeed especially with the crowds of people you could easily bump into -- yet some people are trying to use iPads like most would use an iPhone).

3) Apple could easily bump the RAM from 512MB to 1GB, but its kinda hard to tout this because they don't advertise the RAM in the iPad 2. Sure it could be filed under "faster". I know the iPhone 4S has RAM that can transfer data twice as fast as the iPhone 4, so perhaps this will be used at the very least.

What else? What more is Apple going to do with the iPad 3? They could make Siri available on it and exclude the iPad 2. They could add Thunderbolt to it, but if its really "PC free" then how much will this matter and how many have Thunderbolt PC's anyway?

It seems to me that the next iPad could be screaming fast with a beautiful screen and slightly to vastly better cameras. While the Retina Display is a huge deal for reading, I think the next great leap is when they merge the MacBook Air and the iPad into some kind of hybrid device that can run both iOS and Mac OS X. I believe Lenovo is attempting this with a Windows/Android hybrid and I think an OSX/iOS hybrid its something that many Apple users would want.

Personally, I am sitting back and waiting to see what Apple might do to surprise me on this one. Currently the iPad is the clear tablet market leader, but I'd like to see them keep raising the bar especially with Windows 8 on the horizon.

How would they add thunderbolt? The iPad is too thin. If only it was thicker than MAYBE :)

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
HD front is a welcomed addition. I dont really care about the rear camera. only time id ever use it is in a facetime call. Bring on retina display and quad core.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I could see them upgrading the front camera to HD, but I doubt they would give it a 5MP rear camera. I don't think still photography was ever the goal when Apple put either front or rear facing camera in the iPad. They are there for video capture applications. And so I think 2.1MP is the highest we might see; just enough to capture 1080p (if they use a wide sensor).

Last edited:

Raptor235

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
omg... LATEST RUMOR.... technology in the future is going to be lower priced then today.... omg give me a break

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Among the most interesting notes is the claim that the next-generation iPad will carry significantly improved cameras on the front and back, moving to a FaceTime HD camera on the front and a higher-resolution iPhone-like camera on the rear.
Ahahahahaha!! Not gonna happen. The only place they put the good camera is in the latest iPhone. Everything else, iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPod, iPad gets stuck with a minimalist camera. Basically a "it'll do the job" of getting Facetime to work. It will even be the same on the Apple branded TV.

Of course consumers would love to see better cameras in their devices, but the question is....what does Apple gain by putting better cameras in their devices? Answer - nothing.

Not gonna happen.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Improved cameras.

Shouldn't this be filed under 'obvious'? :confused:

This is effectively an "iPad 2S" upgrade. IMO, they will not call it the "iPad 3" but only add a suffix to the existing product name. The 1.0-mm in thickness should not be a problem with most case makers. Only the super rigid cases such as those made out of PVC-line or machined metals will have an issue.

----------

Of course consumers would love to see better cameras in their devices, but the question is....what does Apple gain by putting better cameras in their devices? Answer - nothing.

Not gonna happen.

Actually, if they do put the iPhone 4S camera in it, they get a savings out of removing a part out of their inventory. Many upgrades happen just to keep part count in stock low.

A good example of that is all the Kodak brownie cameras sold post WWII. Kodak had a contract with the US Army and US Navy to provide very fine resolution film for air reconnaissance photography. George Eastman himself noticed that it was cheaper to just manufacture that high resolution grade of film on one line instead of keeping multiple lines at various film qualities. Back then, film processing was still a captive market and Kodak made money on the film sales and picture development. They just charged more for bigger sized prints. This is why there are so many small 3" x 2" old family photos from the 40's and 50's. Get these pics under a 1200-dpi scanner and you see details down to the mil that are not visible to the human eye. One archive project I worked on years ago revealed a lot of details of one ancestors motorcycle that confirmed a few family stores.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Actually, if they do put the iPhone 4S camera in it, they get a savings out of removing a part out of their inventory. Many upgrades happen just to keep part count in stock low.

The problem with trying to streamline their inventory this way is that the iPad uses the same rear camera as the iPod touch, and the touch is too thin to fit the iPhone's camera module.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.