Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Apple will be left behind if it does not start offering unlimited streaming movies for a flat monthly subscription.

Or not. After all, why re-invent the wheel when they can just put the netflix app on their stuff and get a cut from the company. If only the whole 30% you can bet that they did give something to Apple to get the app included

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
Does it mean a new set of wireless product too? Because 11n just can't deliver 1080p how it should be.

Of course not, we're talking about apple.

They're just going to over-compress the 1080p stream until there's more artifact than signal. Then 90% of the fanatics will rabidly argue it looks even better with the artifacts, while the other 10% will grudgingly admit it's a little bit worse, but they have to take one for the team while apple sorts out the kinks in the amazing new delivery scheme.

Just read the first 3 pages of apple-apologists on this thread and you'll see that I'm already right.

Can't Stop

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2011
Of course not, we're talking about apple.

They're just going to over-compress the 1080p stream until there's more artifact than signal. Then 90% of the fanatics will rabidly argue it looks even better with the artifacts, while the other 10% will grudgingly admit it's a little bit worse, but they have to take one for the team while apple sorts out the kinks in the amazing new delivery scheme.

Just read the first 3 pages of apple-apologists on this thread and you'll see that I'm already right.

Or just read last 3 pages of Apple haters.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Did I read that right? A DVD player that upscales to 1080p looks better than a high bitrate 1080p bluray itself?

I dunno, I honestly would have thought a video at 1920x1080 up to 50 mbps would look better than a video at 720x480 up to 10mbps.

It depends on how the Bluray disk was created.

A few years ago one company sold "widescreen" DVDs that were created by taking ordinary 4:3 contents, cutting off the top and bottom, and scaling it up. You can imagine that these "widescreen" DVDs were crap compared to even the original 4:3 contents.

Same with Bluray; if he got a Bluray disk that was created by taking an ordinary DVD and converting it to Bluray even with the highest possible bitrate, then a good upscaling DVD player will in all likelihood produce a better picture. And I wouldn't bet against this happening.

I know many people who have had Blu-ray players with their output settings set to 480i. I think some units ship like that by default. Stuff like that baffles the heck out of me. I see it all the time. Same thing with HD Cable boxes. People tell me they don't see a difference, then I come over and rewire everything and set it up right and they are like "wow!"

Unfortunately I totally believe you.

To everyone complaining that the network infrastructure isn't there to stream 1080p content, an uncompressed Blu-Ray rip only comes in around 25-30GB. Not that big of a deal.

It's 12 to 15 times what AT&T lets you download on an "unlimited" 3G plan every month before starting to throttle. (And of course there is no such thing as an "uncompressed Blu-Ray rip").

Last edited:

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Blu-Ray is a stillborn technology, a stopgap between DVD media and full streaming/downloads - the only reason people are buying such players is because there are no more DVD players on sale...

Everything is a "stopgap" to something better. By the time 1080p downloads match today's Blu-rays, we'll have 4k video on some other medium.

Regardless of quality, I'd still rather have a nice box I can place on a shelf and not need to backup.

kellygeorge

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
KCMO
Not going to happen

Apple will be left behind if it does not start offering unlimited streaming movies for a flat monthly subscription. It's already getting killed by Amazon, Netflix, LoveFilm, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, 4OD etc

You'll notice that NONE of the subscription services offer New Releases or the selection that Apple currently carries. The content providers just won't let them. Netflix and Amazon have just about the same crappy selection, because thats all the providers will allow. Of course we all want a $10 a month unlimited streaming option with all the content of a PPV, but its just not going to happen.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I've heard iTunes movie packages are required to be 1080p. You have to submit a prores file. Apple does the encoding from there. I don't think studios have to resubmit anything.

I've heard the same thing. It was Apple's way if making sure everything was encoded the right way. Plus if they can ever convince the studios to allow 1080p they have the raw materials already in place

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I know many people who have had Blu-ray players with their output settings set to 480i. I think some units ship like that by default. Stuff like that baffles the heck out of me. I see it all the time. Same thing with HD Cable boxes. People tell me they don't see a difference, then I come over and rewire everything and set it up right and they are like "wow!"

I know soooo many people who actually believe that they are watching HD channels just because they own a new tv, even though they dont have a digital receiver with hd support nor a premium hd supscription with their provider. They always look like a fool when I tell them that its simple SD quality, in their imagination its all HD :rolleyes:

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
The 4S and iPad 2 with the A5 seem to be able to fly through 1080p, but can the A4 based devices actually handle it?

I've used XBMC on my Apple TV and it can process 1080p files, but does seem to tax the A4 cpu in the process. And I'm sure the bitrate will make a difference as well.

Yes, ATV2 can play 1080 but only if the bitrate is low. But with that kind of compression you may run into obvious artifacts like blocky grays/blacks/reds. These are the sort of things that really bother some people. Oddly, iPad1 can also play anything the ATV2 can but iTunes won't copy 1080 video to the iPad. Yes, you can use something like Airvideo to play 1080 on an iPad without trouble. I used to encode to 720p but now I have started leaving things as 1080p with the expectation that anything I buy next will support it (i.e. ATV3, iPad3, etc.). I wish this would all settle. It is REALLY annoying to have media that will play only on some devices.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

I know soooo many people who actually believe that they are watching HD channels just because they own a new tv, even though they dont have a digital receiver with hd support nor a premium hd supscription with their provider. They always look like a fool when I tell them that its simple SD quality, in their imagination its all HD :rolleyes:
Buy a new TV and then it is time to connect the RCA cables.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
One thing I hope they launch with the new iPad is iCloud for Movies. Surely it's coming.

A long way coming perhaps. Remember that's in the hards of the studios just the lame 720p which isn't even on all content already in the store. Same with the release dates, dropping seasons over syndie deals, only releasing in select stores.

If Apple could do what they want they would likely have 1080p on everything, countless redownloads, no DRM, released in all stores at once within a month after the month leaves the theatre and within a day after the TV show airs for all shows regardless of network.

At this point I'd settle for all back seasons, release of cable shows within a couple of weeks of the end of the current season and everything at least in 720p for sales and rentals and the Extras working on all devices. Just that much within the next year would be miraculous. If they did Plus pricing upgrades that would be a nice touch as well but given how greedy the studios are it is beyond even a miracle on that one

Aug 19, 2008
unless they finally change the business strategy im not interested. why would i pay 17$ for a compressed and protected "file" if i can get a BD + DVD + DIGITAL COPY combo pack for 14$

That's right! First of all, we shouldn't have HD and non-HD prices, for Rent or Buy. It's too much choices... keep it simple! Just give me the HD prices for Rent or Buy.

Then the HD Rent should be $1.99 and the HD buy price should be $9.99 (same price than an music album). If you rent a movie you should watch it as many time you want for a month (I can keep a netflix DVD at home for a month without any extra charges). But if I want to rent another one and start watching it, then the previous one would expire in the next 48 hours.

And if like the movie and want to finally buy the HD movie and keep it, before the file expire... since there's no download again, I should only pay the price difference ($8).

And bring a $19.99-29.99 Streaming-ish monthly "All you can eat" plan, to rent anything from the store and stream some live channels (Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc...) to replace to cable. Something between iTunes Rent and Netflix...

And then, bring an Apple TV with TIVO features to record and replay recorded "Live Streaming" movies, sports, shows, etc... linked to iCloud and running iOS for Apps and Games, with a large drive to be used as Time Capsule for all my Apple devices.

And finally, bring me wireless remote (like Boxee Box) and gamepads (like Xbox/PS3)...

That would work better for me I guess :)

Spid

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
A few thoughts on 1080p

It would fill your complete WiFi bandwidth, it's already a problem with 720p.

1080p with low bitrate sucks, you don't want it. Apple should properly encode their 720p stuff and put a faster CPU in the AppleTV.

Buying Movies is too expensive already. If they charge extra, nobody will buy.

Bandwidth might be an issue. Even though we all like to think that we are living in a perfect world, not everyone has 100MBit connectivity.

I want a Time-Capsule like device that can act as a iTunes Library. I want to push a certain amount of my own content on it and switch off my computer.

A question (really): If you watch movie trailers on ATV2, they look pretty much like 1080p.

Does someone know if they are?

The picture quality is way better than anything you buy on iTunes.

mac4good84

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06
1080p ≠ good, actually. Blu Ray is 1080p, but it is compressed enough that the quality is still not so good. I found my DVD player with a 1080p upscaler higher quality than Blu Ray with the exception of the colors not being as good,.

Then whatever system you are using sucks or you have done something wrong; blu ray blows SD out of the water.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
So who wants to speculate if ATV 3 is going to be a TV which talks with your iOS device and has full internet as well as cloud apps and of course HD content?

Who else wants to speculate if in addition to 1080p mobile or stationary it supports 2160P (4K) and 3D (2xHD).

Rocketman

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
They'd have to make it something special to budge me from my new-found PS3 love.

The PS3 already can do 1080, browses the net, accesses YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, a half-dozen other television services, and you can hook up a drive to the USB port and watch a library full of stuff with ease. You can also wirelessly access stuff from a Mac.

Don't have to pay a cent for similar tech. It might become more interesting if it has a port attached to allow a drive hook-up.

As for the tech, it is about time ATV got 1080. That was the biggest shame of the device to date. It was a kinda trinket-tech lingering behind reality of resolution in everyone's homes these days. Apple's TV service lingering with resolution has also been sad. They've been operating at less-than-excellence. Hopefully Apple will enlarge their whole TV-Movie-Music service and their TV tech... at LONG last.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Needs HDMI input

The next AppleTV needs an HDMI In so you can put it in the line between your set top box and the TV. In this way the AppleTV could pass through the set top box content when it is asleep but take over when someone gives it an AirPlay video, without having to change the input on your TV. This would also let the Apple TV overlay stuff on top of the set top video like scores, a ticker, or whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.