Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Then if the iPad 3 was doing so good why come out with a iPad 4 so soon? Or why come out with a smaller overpriced iPad 2? If competition is so weak and petty why would you screw over millions of iPad 3 customers that we're happy with their purchase just yesterday. Now we have no guarantee that a iPad 4 purchase is safe till 10/2013; they could replace it 3/2013.
Don't ever underestimate your competition because it will make you do crazy things.

They did it to roll out the HD Facetime and lightning pin.

What they do next year could be anytime March, Summer, October..

the Ipad 4 isn't a new design. You can bet like the 4S and 5 rumours there's a better Ipad testing right now whilst silly people splash out on a new Ipad 4 .

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Then if the iPad 3 was doing so good why come out with a iPad 4 so soon? Or why come out with a smaller overpriced iPad 2? If competition is so weak and petty why would you screw over millions of iPad 3 customers that we're happy with their purchase just yesterday. Now we have no guarantee that a iPad 4 purchase is safe till 10/2013; they could replace it 3/2013.
Don't ever underestimate your competition because it will make you do crazy things.

Apple will lose if they only ever try to "barely stay ahead" or "keep up".

That's not what got them to where the iPhone is now. The iPhone completely REVOLUTIONIZED the phone industry, much as the iPad is doing to the PC industry.

They need to innovate, stay on their toes, and not just barely refresh products.

The iPhone is already being released in fall since last year's iPhone 4S.

Yea, well ever since 2010 with the 4 to 2011 with the 4S and so forth, leading up to today with two iPad's in a single year, WHO KNOWS what their release trends are going forward.

Essentially, since Steve has been removed from the helm (early 2011 effectively), product release cycles have been fluctuating for iOS devices quite a bit.

Problem is A7 before a new Iphone?

The iPad had the A4, which was months before the iPhone 4 shipped with the A4.

Also, Apple can't afford to play by the, "Well, we can't put Chip X in our iPad yet! Chip X isn't in the iPhone yet! :rolleyes:"

maccompatible

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Then if the iPad 3 was doing so good why come out with a iPad 4 so soon?
Because apparently that's what people were complaining for. They wanted apple to skip the yearly updates and just do it whenever the tech is available. So they did. Which made people freak out even more.

Or why come out with a smaller overpriced iPad 2?
Because other manufacturers have shown there's a demand for it. Apple intends to satisfy this demand in a better way than other manufacturers.

If competition is so weak and petty why would you screw over millions of iPad 3 customers that we're happy with their purchase just yesterday.

I don't feel screwed over. My iPad didn't become useless. I knew it was gonna be upgraded sooner or later. It doesn't really matter when. My iPad has a finite lifetime regardless of how soon it's upgraded or how many models come out after it. If it wasn't going to get iOS 8, it still isn't. If it was, it still is. I don't get the complaints...

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
The iPad had the A4, which was months before the iPhone 4 shipped with the A4.

Also, Apple can't afford to play by the, "Well, we can't put Chip X in our iPad yet! Chip X isn't in the iPhone yet! :rolleyes:"

Ok.

Defo think a new Ipad will come in the Spring next year (also can't see there being another update after that until 2014).

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
I think Apple will take note of all the pissed off people and not do another 6 month refresh

Last edited:

Mbman81

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010
Illogical for a company with the popularity of Apple. I think they should push iPhone up to spring and the rest stays fall since the non-iPhone iOS devices are more fit to be holiday gifts. And too many iOS products at one time would be bad for business since most people wouldn't buy more than one iOS device at a time unless they had loaded wallets

This.

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
Are you sure that apple will update their AX architecture to Arm A15 or will they just modify the current version to an overclocked one
confused.gif

Won't apple wait at least 6/9 months until they reveal their new flagship in order to secure a return on the A6 ?

Samsung is already furnishing Google with their A15 based processor and NVidia may announce during the next CES the new generation of Tegra platform also based on A15 architecture.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
Apple is a bit beyond incremental updates at this point. They would spend more money on R&D than they would make on releasing an update every 6 months. The main reason for the iPad 4 is simply so they could push out the old connector as quickly as possible. Which is something I bit on....I sold my wife's iPad 2 and gave her my iPad 3 so I could have all the same connector. Her on the other hand can care less about the connector.

Next iPad will surely have a new processor, thinner body, anodization, and better battery life. Key things we should see from the next launch are major software improvements that highlight what the iPad is capable of. Working with software developers on creating a more immersive gaming experience, and tools to help us integrate everyday lives into the iOS eco-system. This is the only way to stay competitive for Apple. Hardware is going by way of the PC these days, where the hardware has advanced much farther than the software, so lets catch up there first and then see what needs to improve.

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
Apple is a bit beyond incremental updates at this point. They would spend more money on R&D than they would make on releasing an update every 6 months. The main reason for the iPad 4 is simply so they could push out the old connector as quickly as possible. Which is something I bit on....I sold my wife's iPad 2 and gave her my iPad 3 so I could have all the same connector. Her on the other hand can care less about the connector.

Next iPad will surely have a new processor, thinner body, anodization, and better battery life. Key things we should see from the next launch are major software improvements that highlight what the iPad is capable of. Working with software developers on creating a more immersive gaming experience, and tools to help us integrate everyday lives into the iOS eco-system. This is the only way to stay competitive for Apple. Hardware is going by way of the PC these days, where the hardware has advanced much farther than the software, so lets catch up there first and then see what needs to improve.

Very well articulated thoughts, all of which I agree 100% on.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Ok.

Defo think a new Ipad will come in the Spring next year (also can't see there being another update after that until 2014).

I think all signs point to new models coming out from now on in the Fall. Spring is not a good launch for new tablets because it's early January that we start seeing new products announced and most of your system chip companies like Qualcomm and more are announcing new products for typical 2H launches. Fall launches make so much more sense than Spring launches.

True. 6 month cycles are not good. Also a Spring launch doesn't help with software because it places the launch before WWDC in June. It seems to make more sense to have a Fall launch with the new OS that WWDC announces and demoes months earlier.

hoyaspook

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2008
People are being really obtuse, probably to justify not buying an iPad 4.

I'll eat my new iPad 4 (upgrading from the first one!) and post the video here if there's a new iPad in the spring. Cook is all about efficiencies and streamlining the product cycle. No new iPad until October is a near certainty.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Ah... so we are already starting the "I'm trying to justify NOT upgrading to an iPad 4 right now..." threads.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
Problem is A7 before a new Iphone?

I don't think there's necessarily any set pattern and trying to guess it is a fool's errand. With that said, I'll throw in my 2 cents. It doesn't matter to me if it's March or Fall or even the following Spring. It wouldn't seem to make much sense to introduce a new iPad before the next iPhone, the reason being that would be 2 updates to iPad between iPhone updates. The core computer architecture of the are incredibly similar, advancements in one typically lead to improvements or the other. I would say it's likely that the next iPad will be released after the next iPhone. Just my thoughts, take them for whatever they're worth.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I can see the idea of putting out all new devices right before the holidays but I have to wonder how that would impact their ability to have enough of each built. I may be wrong but the factories that assemble all the devices are the same, meaning that if they concentrate on building new iPads for Nov/Dec delivery when do they assemble the phones? Or the minis or the iPods?

And another thing. If Apple actually comes up with new designs, new components then the suppliers must have enough lead time to manufacture them. If those components are specified a year early in order for the suppliers to make them then by the time the devices get to market they will probably contain old tech.

Perhaps I'm wrong but one reason I thought they staggered the rollout of devices was to be able to meet demand.

I don't know, I'm not a supply expert and this is something Apple usually does well. But I just can't see how they would rollout all their new products at the same time.

Oh, and one other thing, just how many people will actually buy several new devices at the same time? Most folks probably buy one in the spring and the other in the fall (if they are upgrading). I certainly wouldn't want to have to try to budget for a new iPad and possibily a new Mac at the same time. Spreading out those purchases throughout the year is much easier.

Guess we'll see in a few months.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Are you sure that apple will update their AX architecture to Arm A15 or will they just modify the current version to an overclocked one Image
Won't apple wait at least 6/9 months until they reveal their new flagship in order to secure a return on the A6 ?

Samsung is already furnishing Google with their A15 based processor and NVidia may announce during the next CES the new generation of Tegra platform also based on A15 architecture.
Apple is reportely working on a quad-core processor based on TSMC's 20nm manufacturing process. TSMC expects to produce millions of chips on that process starting in 2H 2013, and Apple is said to be one of TSMC's largest customers for those chips. About a year from now is the earliest we could see a device with such an Apple quad-core chip.

Real world performance on a quad-core A7X would likely double the A6 in benchmarks, but provide closer to 1.5x the real world performance. Applications will have to be updated/optimized to take advantage of four cores. Existing Android tablets with quad-core processors do well in benchmarks like Geekbench which utilize all four cores, but the vast majority of applications are only designed to use two cores effectively. As it happens, the Apple A6 significantly outperforms most of today's quad-core mobile chips when running apps that effectively use only two cores.

Last edited:

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I feel like the iPad will need a redesign next time round.

It just weighs too much for me personally. I love the iPad 3 but it feels too bulky now. Would also love the borders to be reduced if possible.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
Since it was such a minor update, Android will catch up and it makes sense to go back to the usual release schedule. Plus it was like when the 4S was released there was talk of them testing a Iphone 5. I reckon it's the same old thing here and there's a better Ipad waiting..

I think they only penned in the 4 as it made sense to roll out the lightning connector as the Mini would make the Ipad 2 look old with the old connector and HD Facetime.

Question is will they pen the new Ipad mini series with Ipod touch launches or will they do it again in March maybe adding retina?

I'm sure if Ipad 5 is due in March, and it does go back to ONE a year Ipad 3 owners will feel better. Plus they could then put Ipad 4 down to £329 (easy as it's the same as Ipad 3 really) and discontinue Ipad 2 two years after release. They won't want non lightning Ipads around in 2013.

Roll on the rumours please...Ipad 5 WHEN?? :D

I'm sure you're 100% wrong. On basically everything.

They moved the iPad launch to October. Deal with it. It's not a 6 month cycle now. There's no retina Mini and iPad 5 in March. March will be something different now.

There's no rumors, because it's not happening. If you remember, the iPhone 5 was being tested months after the 4S. Not during the launch, as you imply to try to validate your asinine point. In several months, sure. We'll see the iPad 5 being tested. There's no way there will be one in March though.

The iPad release was moved because the March slot wasn't as beneficial as it could be. By moving it to October they capture the holiday market, making for massive sales and demand. If they're going to pick a release time, they're going to pick the one that makes them more money. A fall release will do that.

All of these idiotic claims that there's a new iPad in five months are just obnoxious. It would make zero sense for Apple to do that. But hey. Whatever makes you feel better about not having an iPad 4th Gen. :rolleyes:

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Honestly I don't think anyone should be making such bold statements about exactly when the next iPad will release at this point.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
If they had called it a refresh then yes , I would bet another ipad In march

But since they called it ipad 4th generation , expect the ipad 5 in 10/2013

The iPad '4th generation' is only a minor change from the version sold 6 months ago. It doesn't count as a next generation. There should still be an actual iPad 4 or whatever they decide to call it next spring. I don't think they expect people who just bought the latest iPad in March to replace it now.

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
Apple is reportely working on a quad-core processor based on TSMC's 20nm manufacturing process. TSMC expects to produce millions of chips on that process starting in 2H 2013, and Apple is said to be one of TSMC's largest customers for those chips. About a year from now is the earliest we could see a device with such an Apple quad-core chip.

Real world performance on a quad-core A7X would likely double the A6 in benchmarks, but provide closer to 1.5x the real world performance. Applications will have to be updated/optimized to take advantage of four cores. Existing Android tablets with quad-core processors do well in benchmarks like Geekbench which utilize all four cores, but the vast majority of applications are only designed to use two cores effectively. As it happens, the Apple A6 significantly outperforms most of today's quad-core mobile chips when running apps that effectively use only two cores.
any informations about the processor architecture :confused:
A quad-core could be an A6X instead of a A15 based CPU and if I'm not mistaken, the dual-cores A15 are more efficient than the quad-core A9

----------

Apple spends an extra $1 billion on research in 2012, still way less than competitors

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/31/3583984/apple-financial-annual-report-2012-research
2012-09-12timcook-iphone5-35_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

inShare​

Apple just handed its annual report in to the SEC, revealing that the company laid out an extra billion dollars on Research and Development this year. But despite jumping from $2.4 to $3.4 billion dollars, R&D spending stayed flat as an overall percentage of revenue — a scant 2.2 percent — thanks to a 45 percent increase in sales, to $156 billion. In comparison, rivals like Google and Microsoft spend around 15 percent of revenues, and Samsung sits in between at around 6 percent.
Just a third of Microsoft's $10 billion
Apple says it racked up the billion-dollar increase by hiring more researchers. A year ago we reported that the company was expanding research efforts in Israel, which is likely responsible for a big share of the bump. The addition is part of a hiring increase across the board — as pointed out by The Next Web, Apple’s headcount grew from a total of 60,400 full-timers in 2011 to 72,800 in 2012.
During the year the company also increased its floor space from 13.2 to 17.3 million square feet as it added 33 new retail stores, fueled by retail sales growth of 33 percent. And land holdings are up as well, going from 584 acres in 2011 to 1,077 acres this year as iApple announced plans to build a data center in Prineville, Oregon as well as add extra solar energy capacity at its Maiden, North Carolina center. Perhaps the most surprising figure, however, is a 94 percent increase in Japanese sales over the year, as the iPhone became the top-selling handset in the country despite the long dominance of domestic brands like Sharp and Fujitsu-Toshiba.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I think the update will certainly come in March.

The 4 was done to put as many devices as possible on the lightning connector, as well as get quantity scale for the A6X

The 5 will really revolutionize the tablet world with the retina IGZO display. It will be dramatically lighter and thinner, run cooler and have even better battery life.

For those currently with a 3, hold on to it for next year's upgrade. Going from 3 to 4 is too marginal of an upgrade to make it worthwhile unless you a absolutely need the fastest processor right now and are willing to upgrade once again 6 months later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.