Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koala Adorable

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2018
Hi, everyone! I'm thinking of buying the new IPad. Just to be clear, I've been using a Samsung tablet for the last few years, but during my trip I've realized I could really use an IPad. Why do I want an IPad? Because I'm a researcher and I'm reading all day long and I could really use to have most part of my library closed at hand. But what I've tried with my samsung is not to write. The apps in android are not as precise as the ones you can find for the appstore -believe me, I've tried-. So, basically, I need an IPad for reading and writing on PDFs and have a notepad organized with different entries. I do not need to listen to music, I'm not looking for a computer, I already have one. At the moment my books are on Dropbox and I would like to keep it that way. What I would like to know is whether a 32Gb IPad is enough for the activities I have just described. I wish there was a half-way point between 32 and 128, but there isn't. Thus, my question.
Can you help me?

Cheers, K.A.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I think if you're pretty cloud-dependent, then you should be fine with the 32GB. The larger capacity edition would really only benefit you if you planned to store a big photo or movie library for offline use. How much space do you use on your Samsung tablet?

Koala Adorable

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2018
I think if you're pretty cloud-dependent, then you should be fine with the 32GB. The larger capacity edition would really only benefit you if you planned to store a big photo or movie library for offline use. How much space do you use on your Samsung tablet?
Thank you for your quick reply!
I'm using almost all its space, but it's a 16 gb. I have a couple of apps that I won't install on the IPad (like skype).
I'd install: word/excel/powerpoint, an app for handwriting, dropbox, one for reading pdfs and another one for comicbooks (the only non-job related app :p).
Cheers, K.A.!

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
It depends on what kind of research you are doing. 32GB will hold thousands and thousands of research papers - far more than a human can read in any reasonable span of time. However, if part of your research is to view & process image or audio files (microscope images, frequency files for example). that 32GB could begin to fill in rather quickly.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Look at your current PDF files and I bet they're under 10MB each.

For academic use, a 32GB iPad will be sufficient.

Your current 16GB tablet includes system files (3-5GB) and apps. So a 32GB will offer more than double your current storage space.

Koala Adorable

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2018
It depends on what kind of research you are doing. 32GB will hold thousands and thousands of research papers - far more than a human can read in any reasonable span of time. However, if part of your research is to view & process image or audio files (microscope images, frequency files for example). that 32GB could begin to fill in rather quickly.

Thanks for your reply!
No, my research is mainly reading papers/books and making annotations, writing papers.

How much storage might the apps I've mentioned might take?

I have 78 GB in books and papers in my dropbox. Many are under 10 Mb, but not all of them, some were made from images (and they have OCR).

Regards, K.A.!

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I believe 32 GB should do the trick if you store most of your stuff in Dropbox anyway. Just buy from a reseller with a good return policy and give it a try - Apple for example lets you try the device for two weeks and return it in that period if you decide not to take it.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Go for the 128GB if you will be using the iPad for a long while. There are a lot of "mights" you may have like ...you might watch a movie or two. You might find a few apps that you didn't think you might need. You might start using the awesome camera. You might move some of those documents and papers to edit on your iPad.

Spend the extra $ and go with the iPad 128Gb. Get a Poetic case to save some money.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY

I agree here - the cloud and some careful file management makes enormous storage not worth it for most people, IMO. Of course, heavy movie downloaders & photo pros might need that space. But most of us are fine with 32GB. Save the cash or use it towards LTE support which I must have! :)

Koala Adorable

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2018
Thank you so much for your replies! I'm still undecided. Going for the IPad Pro is too much. I can stretch a bit and go for the 128Gb, but that is my limit.
I was thinking about the "mights" as well, especially when it comes to modify the pdfs and the apps' updates which always end up being heavier than they use to. And I would like to have it for at least three years.
Another thing that makes me doubt are OS updates. When I was thinking about buying a MAC he told me that a friend of his ended up not being able to use her computer because she had installed an update. I've always used windows and android because Apple products were very difficult to get in my country and now it's my chance. I really like the IPad and being able to write on it. My back will be grateful for all the non-extra weight :p
Thank you so much again! K.A.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Thank you so much for your replies! I'm still undecided. Going for the IPad Pro is too much. I can stretch a bit and go for the 128Gb, but that is my limit.
I was thinking about the "mights" as well, especially when it comes to modify the pdfs and the apps' updates which always end up being heavier than they use to. And I would like to have it for at least three years.
Another thing that makes me doubt are OS updates. When I was thinking about buying a MAC he told me that a friend of his ended up not being able to use her computer because she had installed an update. I've always used windows and android because Apple products were very difficult to get in my country and now it's my chance. I really like the IPad and being able to write on it. My back will be grateful for all the non-extra weight :p
Thank you so much again! K.A.
Not sure what your friend’s issue might have been with their Mac update, but it’s not really that grim. Even Windows updates have been known to brick systems, so that’s just life in the software world. I wouldn’t let that hold you back.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Ill be honest here. I wish I would have gotten the 128GB version but half my storage is due to games right? Well I may offload the games cause I’ve beat them but I have tons more content I’d like to have at hand such as movies and music. Either way the 32GB is great but the 128GB, especially for long term use, would be a lot better.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
I don't know why but even though $100 more compared to $329 seems like a lot I can't help but want to spread that additional cost over the anticipated length of ownership and evaluate that way . . . I tend to do that when making evaluations of things that are going to impact my productivity but are otherwise not huge ticket items. I tend to view phones and tablets as consumables in this way.

Reactions: kazmac

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Thanks for your reply!
No, my research is mainly reading papers/books and making annotations, writing papers.

How much storage might the apps I've mentioned might take?

I have 78 GB in books and papers in my dropbox. Many are under 10 Mb, but not all of them, some were made from images (and they have OCR).

Regards, K.A.!
Where do you access them? At home where WiFi is always perfect? Get 32GB

At university or on the go where WiFi is patchy and slow? If its the latter then 128GB for offline storage makes a strong case.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I don't know why but even though $100 more compared to $329 seems like a lot I can't help but want to spread that additional cost over the anticipated length of ownership and evaluate that way . . . I tend to do that when making evaluations of things that are going to impact my productivity but are otherwise not huge ticket items. I tend to view phones and tablets as consumables in this way.
Also keep in mind that Apple devices have pretty good resale value, especially if you take good care of good care of them. Whenever I list one on eBay, I always seem to get a lot of interest and a good final sale price.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Less than $10 a month if one only keeps the iPad for a year. The longer you keep it, the lower the average monthly cost.

Koala Adorable

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2018
Where do you access them? At home where WiFi is always perfect? Get 32GB

At university or on the go where WiFi is patchy and slow? If its the latter then 128GB for offline storage makes a strong case.
Yes, I'd be using my own wi fi and eventually from cafés or the university.
What's your thought about an SD adapter? Do they really work for the IPad?
Cheers, K.A.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Yay :) you find it so useful that it may replace your pc in terms of function. E.g. I do my homework with a Bluetooth keyboard side split with word. They are amazing devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.