Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
I have MLC in my 64gb wifi air 2 and had random lock ups when on 8.1. After upgrading to 8.1.1 I've had no lock up yet!

I think this TLC rumour is bs!!

CyberManiaK

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2014
I'm on my second iPad air 2(64gb) using that tool mine has TLC and this device after a week it hasn't lockup or rebooted. The first one I had, it did it one time.

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
And another freeze for me today (so it's about once a day now), this time the "won't wake up" version. So what's the consensus at this point? Is it more likely to be a hardware fault or a software fault? Has anyone returned a freezing iPad and had it replaced with one that didn't do it?

rsnhakan

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2014
The Netherlands
My 128GB iPad Air 2 didn't froze once since I got it. (like 3-4 weeks now)

But I have like 15.000 pictures on it and when I open the photo app and go to moments and scroll back to years, it's crashing when I scroll up and down. Thought this 2GB of RAM would be enough, but seems like it's not..

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
i have not experienced the glitch since i reported it in the thread 3 wks ago. Also i suspect iOS 8.1.1 put paid to it for good

All looking good and loving it every blessed day:D

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
i have not experienced the glitch since i reported it in the thread 3 wks ago. Also i suspect iOS 8.1.1 put paid to it for good

All looking good and loving it every blessed day:D

Same here. Have not had a freeze or random reboot since I updated to 8.1.1. Thank goodness!

Last edited:

rexboe

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
No freezes since i updated to 8.1.1. The Air 2 has been working great now that the freezes have stopped.

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
I'm still getting freezes on 8.1.1 (just had another one).

Yesterday I did a full backup to iCloud, wipe then restore, since someone over on the Apple forums had suggested that as a possible remedy. Obviously this didn't work. I suppose the next step is wiping it again without restoring anything to see if it still does it (which will be a huge inconvenience given the amount of data in apps that will be lost if I have to start from scratch), in which case it's more likely to be a hardware fault.

The logs show that the crash was a kernel panic (reason - WDT Timeout), preceded by two stacks+backboardd logs in the minutes prior.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
Are you using third party sync cables??

Received my Air 2 yesterday and loving it:D such a relief coming from using the iPad 3.

But upon setting up my new gadget my glee started to sour a little. *Bear with me* You see the thing is I jailbroke it straight out of the box and everything was going okay until I started to use the thing (no JB tweaks installed) but I noticed swiping and scrolling the springboard and safari was very sluggish and occasionally locking up:confused: At this point I could only put it down to two things either the Pangu JB buggered things up or the syncing of my many apps was putting a little strain on the iPad, but then I thought to myself...what the heck! this thing is meant to scream performance with its 2gb ram and whatnot:mad: surely it can't be that..

So I left it syncing a little longer, came back and tried playing around with it again but the same glitchy problems occurred...safari tabs refreshing, freezing, keyboard not very responsive... by this time I was weighing up my options whether to restore to 8.1.1 or return my iPad.

Then I did one simple thing, unplugged the iPad from sync/charge cable...and bam! the iPad sprang to life... snappy! fast scrolling! no safari tab refresh! no freezing on the springboard etc... everything was working as it should...:) I couldn't believe it.

So with my small analysis its clear the problem was the third party cable, the same one I use to charge my iPhone 6:eek: and just to be sure I did a few more test and every time I connected the unofficial cable it would react the same way. Not sure why this happens, but I suspect its something to do with the chips in the 3rd party cables (this particular one I bought on Amazon) as I like to have a couple spares one for the office, car etc... but if these small cables can mess with an iPad like that, then what might it be doing to my iPhone:eek:

anyway I hope this insight has helped some of you with issues you may be facing with your new iPad Air 2 but YMMV;)

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
I was still getting freezes on 8.1.1, so doing that update isn't guaranteed to always fix it.

In order to rule out a hardware fault (especially since mine has TLC), I decided to start completely fresh to see if it would still happen on a clean install. So far, no crashes!

It's early days, so I'll post back again in a week, but it's looking very much like this is a software bug rather than a hardware problem. Doing the 8.1.1 update obviously fixes it in most cases, but not all, in which case starting over from scratch and not restoring a backup appears to resolve it.

In my first attempt, when I restored from an iCloud backup, the problem persisted on 8.1.1, so some combination of configuration options or temporary files that are carried over from the backup must be what's required to trigger the issue.

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
Edit: one crash for me again after a full reset, but I don't think it was a kernel panic this time, just a respring.

cheeba69

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2015
ipad air 2 lock screen freeing up with pics displayed from my albums

i got this problem every other day or so since i bought my ipad air 2... every other day the lock screen will freeze on one other pic i have in my albums, wont unlock have to do a hard reset, and its really annoying. anyone else getting this prob?

MikeCBR

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2014
iPad Air 2 Freezes/Lock Ups

i got this problem every other day or so since i bought my ipad air 2... every other day the lock screen will freeze on one other pic i have in my albums, wont unlock have to do a hard reset, and its really annoying. anyone else getting this prob?

my air 2 128gb cellular bought during black friday...not one freeze or reset. i dont have that much apps installed however. clash of clans, gta games...few productivity apps etc. maybe its a bug with a specific app you are experiencing?

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
As a follow-up from my earlier posts, since starting from scratch (not restoring an iTunes or iCloud backup), my iPad Air 2 hasn't done this freeze/crash once, so that solved the problem for me.

While there may be some cases where it's a hardware problem, in my case it was definitely a bug in iOS at the system/kernel level. Something that's carried over by the backup triggers it, but who knows what specific thing it could be (a specific combination of settings, a temporary file, maybe a corrupt plist... who knows). It's definitely a bug though, and I'd hope that by now Apple has enough diagnostic logs to have seen this crash and fixed it in a future iOS point release. In the meantime, wiping my iPad and starting fresh without a backup (which was a huge hassle given some apps provide no way to export certain bits of data) was what fixed it for me.

Sharpanator

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
Germany
I have a strange problem with my iPad air2. I use it often and very long to browse the internet. All of a sudden the white screen with Black Apple logo appears for like 5 secs. and it crashes to the start screen with the password. This happens 3-4 times per day. I feel it has something to do with the memory, maybe not enough RAM left? Or maybe because of bad RAM? defective sectors?

By the way how can i deactivate this freaking auto correction, this lets me Freak out!

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
I have a strange problem with my iPad air2. I use it often and very long to browse the internet. All of a sudden the white screen with Black Apple logo appears for like 5 secs. and it crashes to the start screen with the password. This happens 3-4 times per day. I feel it has something to do with the memory, maybe not enough RAM left? Or maybe because of bad RAM? defective sectors?

By the way how can i deactivate this freaking auto correction, this lets me Freak out!

I haven't had a lockup like the one you described in a while. Are you running 8.1.2 and did you restore your iPad from a previous setup?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.