Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnottyGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
Mill Bay, BC, Canada
Does anyone else have a MacBook & iPad?

I wanted a MacBook because the iPad wouldn't do everything I wanted.

I use my mb more when I'm typing or websurfing.

I do like the mobility of the pad. My provider (Shaw) provides a streaming service similar to Netflix. I'm thinking more & more do I need the iPad? I don't think I would sell it.

Do you have a MacBook, Air or Pro & a iPad?

How do you use them differently?

Last edited:

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Depends on what you do with it.
For me an iPad is a video watching machine, a bit of browsing and otherwise mainly for the kids.
If you want to get some emails done (writing not reading!) and anything else you need a proper machine and OS.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

I had an iPad mini and a mid 2009 13" MBP. I found that I was using the iPad more, so I gave the MBP to my parents. Eventually the mini began to show its age so it ended up being used exclusively by the kids. Now I've got a 2015 13" rMBP and I'm not sure where the iPad is right now.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
iPad is for when I am laying on a sofa or bed to watch youtube/Netflix and web surfing. MBP is for when I need it for serious work like work e-mail and multitasking (e.g. connect to Apple TV for cartoon for kids while I do other stuff with my MBP screen).

I used to bring my MBP for travel (vacation, etc) but would only bring my iPad now.

I'd say I use iPad more but it can never replace a proper computer.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2013
I have both, iPad is more of a gaming machine on the go, as well as a Netflix/streaming machine, though I haven't used it for media stuff in a while, no thanks to Netflix blocking VPN/proxy users, so for now I'm using Smartflix on my MacBook Pro.

If the iPad was a lot less restrictive (sure, I could jailbreak but that still doesn't offer what I'm looking for), I could see myself giving up my MBP and use iPad a lot more.

ajcgn

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I have both. My original retina iPad is much more portable for travel and easier around the house for simple web surfing, emails, watching videos, reading the odd Kindle book, and games. I even use the gps when traveling sometimes as I like seeing a bigger map than my iPhone has.

I use my MBP for work, photo editing, downloading stuff (1T SSD), more complicated web browsing and many other things. If I could only have one, I would have the MBP, but I would definitely miss the iPad as my MBP weighs 5 1/2 lbs.

However, I've gotten so lazy that I sometime use my iPhone (non plus) instead of my iPad so I can get away with using one hand, like typing this post :)

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
I have both. 2 different tools for 2 different jobs. I rely on my iPad when I travel, when I am in bed, and when I am on the can. The MBP is a real computer that I use for my business, and for serious research.

I have been seriously considering getting rid of the iPad for a surface though. I am amateur photographer and the photo software leaves a lot to be desired on iPad.

Having light room, and photo shop on my trip would make those jealousy I divining social media shots pop that much more.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
I have both. The MBP is my portable computer, it's the one I use for travel - rare nowadays - and on the dining table for late night writing, online chess etc when I don't want to work in my study to avoid disturbing my wife. Getting to grips with OS X was my reason for buying it, and I've enjoyed that a lot, coming to like the OS although still despising its file management.

My iPad I no longer use at all, I find it very unimpressive and brutally heavy, preferring an 8 inch Sony Android device. It's kept charged so when visitors want to borrow a tablet I let them use it. This means I don't have to care what my grandkids install on it, I'm not affected. I wouldn't replace it if disaster struck.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I have a MacBook Pro and an iPad Air 2. The iPad gets the most use by far. I use it for almost everything, but I still need a laptop and I use it pretty frequently. I just probably won't upgrade my computer for another 3-4 years.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia

MBP: typing, photo and video editing, significant spreadsheets, file management, programming, web development, database.

iPad: Games, watching videos, reading books & magazines, simple web browsing, simple e-mails, Facebook.

Most of the time my MBP is used in clamshell mode with a large monitor and full sized keyboard. My iPad is my main portable device for around town use. The MBP only gets taken when I'm out of town.

Deane2000

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2014
Southern California
The combination is very common. Each device has it's pluses and minus and you need to want to get the best from each as many of the posters have listed. For me, the MBP is more for professional work and the iPad is more for "downtime", and personal time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.