Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
But isn't the iPad technically the flagship device? Why is the iPhone supposed to get it before the iPad?

No. The iPhone is the flagship device. Even if the iPad is technically more powerful.

A similar instance is that of the MBP vs the iMac. The iMac is more powerful, but the MBP is the more expensive flagship that gets Thunderbolt and Retina screens first. (The Mac Pro is also clearly a flagship device, however I'd put it in a different category.)

I think it's about creating examples of Apple's fantastic engineering, and product placement too. If someone owns an iMac and an MBP, people are more likely to see them using the MBP than the iMac, which is more likely to be left at home. Therefore Apple want to make the MBP as impressive as possible (which comes with the drawback of increased cost). The exact same idea holds for the iPhone vs iPad.

And once people buy an iPhone/MBP, they are far more likely to buy an iPad/iMac if they want a tablet/desktop.

That pretty much defines the 'Product Halo Effect' right there.

Last edited:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
----------

You're right, they don't know, but that doesn't make it right for Apple to short change their customers. Every other company is doing the right thing.

Then buy from them. I don't see anything unfair about it. Most people don't know how much RAM their tablet has, but they do know if it's slow, laggy, or doesn't perform well. If people are pleased with the performance of Apple products, then they're not being shortchanged.

That being said, I chose a Nexus 7 over an iPad Mini Retina, and remain happy with that decision for a number of reasons, but I can't claim that the Nexus outperforms the iPad even though it has a quadcore processor and 2GB of RAM. Numbers on a page aren't everything.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
No. The iPhone is the flagship device. Even if the iPad is technically more powerful.

A similar instance is that of the MBP vs the iMac. The iMac is more powerful, but the MBP is the more expensive flagship that gets Thunderbolt and Retina screens first. (The Mac Pro is also clearly a flagship device, however I'd put it in a different category.)

I think it's about creating examples of Apple's fantastic engineering, and product placement too. If someone owns an iMac and an MBP, people are more likely to see them using the MBP, than the iMac, which is more likely to be left at home. Therefore Apple want to make the MBP as impressive as possible. The exact same idea holds for the iPhone vs iPad.

And once people buy an iPhone/MBP, they are far more likely to buy an iPad/iMac if they want a tablet/desktop.

That pretty much defines the 'Product Halo Effect' right there.

Ah. Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Then buy from them. I don't see anything unfair about it. Most people don't know how much RAM their tablet has, but they do know if it's slow, laggy, or doesn't perform well. If people are pleased with the performance of Apple products, then they're not being shortchanged.

That being said, I chose a Nexus 7 over an iPad Mini Retina, and remain happy with that decision for a number of reasons, but I can't claim that the Nexus outperforms the iPad even though it has a quadcore processor and 2GB of RAM. Numbers on a page aren't everything.

If you look at this forum you'll find that most people who know want more ram, Apple is already losing massive market share, and this is probably one of the reasons, people who know, want and demand more ram and more storage.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
If you look at this forum you'll find that most people who know want more ram, Apple is already losing massive market share, and this is probably one of the reasons, people who know, want and demand more ram and more storage.

This forum isn't exactly representative of the entire market. Tech enthusiasts tend to have a very skewed perspective of what users want because they communicate with other tech enthusiasts, but most consumers don't fall into this category.

For the record, I'm not trying to say that Apple shouldn't add more RAM. I'm just explaining why there's a good chance they won't, and why most consumers won't notice or care.

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
This forum isn't exactly representative of the entire market. Tech enthusiasts tend to have a very skewed perspective of what users want because they communicate with other tech enthusiasts, but most consumers don't fall into this category.

For the record, I'm not trying to say that Apple shouldn't add more RAM. I'm just explaining why there's a good chance they won't, and why most consumers won't notice or care.

It's very representative, you'll always have techies and just plain consumers. If it wasn't for the techies most companies wouldn't innovate at all(Apple) or very little(Apple). Techies are always pushing the envelope and looking for the next new tech, they're the ones who keep the industry on their toes. Just look at Microsoft and the XBox One or Google and the rise and rise of Android.

Apple needs to spend some money or get left behind, they've already lost heaps of market share, and I don't mean spending 3 billion on Beats.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
It's very representative, you'll always have techies and just plain consumers. If it wasn't for the techies most companies wouldn't innovate at all(Apple) or very little(Apple). Techies are always pushing the envelope and looking for the next new tech, they're the ones who keep the industry on their toes. Just look at Microsoft and the XBox One or Google and the rise and rise of Android.

Apple needs to spend some money or get left behind, they've already lost heaps of market share, and I don't mean spending 3 billion on Beats.
That doesn't describe a representative sample. If you went out in the street and grabbed 100 random people, maybe 5 describe themselves as techies. Here, maybe half the people do. Techies are overrepresented on any tech forum, for obvious reasons. So when one says, "everybody here wants (fill in the blank), therefore Apple is stupid not to do it" it may very well be that most of Apple costumers couldn't care less.

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
That doesn't describe a representative sample. If you went out in the street and grabbed 100 random people, maybe 5 describe themselves as techies. Here, maybe half the people do. Techies are overrepresented on any tech forum, for obvious reasons. So when one says, "everybody here wants (fill in the blank), therefore Apple is stupid not to do it" it may very well be that most of Apple costumers couldn't care less.

Show me where I said "everybody wants blank", I said most people who know want blank, meaning techies.

People shouldn't settle for mediocrity, they should demand the best, if you don't, you'll get what you pay for.

AlphaHel1X

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2014
I still don't understand why the Safar-tab-reloading problem is caused by a lack of RAM that can't be solved with some clever virtual memory swapping feature. I mean our iPad Airs have some fast NAND chips for storing apps and data. Why not just swap out page content to the storage instead of reloading them?
2 reasons: no telling how much space is available on everyone's ipad/phone to use.

Also, the type of memory used in the ipad/iPhone is much slower & not designed to deal with the constant writing of pagefiles.
If they that then I'm going with the Samsung Galaxy s. The first time I break from Apple products.
Love my iPad. But agreed.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
But isn't the iPad technically the flagship device? Why is the iPhone supposed to get it before the iPad?

The iPhone earns Apple more profits than the iPad, so it's not surprising that more R&D is focused on the iPhone compared to the iPad, and if supply of critical components are limited, the iPhone will usually get first dibs. So when the supply of Touch-ID sensors was limited last year, it was no surprise that all of them went to the iPhone.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006

Really? Tech geeks on a Mac website are a massive part of the marketshare? :rolleyes: I don't think the average consumer knows or cares.

Note that I'm saying this as someone who will be genuinely annoyed if it doesn't come with 2GB and I'll have to think about my purchase.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
The interesting thing will be that if it does come with 2 GB of RAM what will happen if safari tab reloads still happen to certain users as they do now?

Oh boy, grab the popcorn and have a seat to watch that unfold on the forums. :D

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
The interesting thing will be that if it does come with 2 GB of RAM what will happen if safari tab reloads still happen to certain users as they do now?

Oh boy, grab the popcorn and have a seat to watch that unfold on the forums. :D

If that happens we will truly know that Apple software engineers are crap, but at least we will have an up to date iPad, as long as it's got at minimum 32GB, which of course it won't because Apple knows best.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
My reason for wanting 2GB+ of Ram in the next iPad is to allow the benefit in other apps, not just stock Apple apps like the OS or Safari. There are flight sims for example that look and perform very well but the developers have said the lack of available RAM is the biggest hurdle they face in the iPad - it's plenty powerful enough but more memory is required to make the most of the what is possible.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006

Wow, another "techies are superior" attitude being posted here, how original.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Really? Tech geeks on a Mac website are a massive part of the marketshare? :rolleyes: I don't think the average consumer knows or cares.

Note that I'm saying this as someone who will be genuinely annoyed if it doesn't come with 2GB and I'll have to think about my purchase.
The average consumer doesn't know about ram but they do care. When the device is sluggish, when a new ios update is "buggy" or only has minor changes, when the phone is missing new features. A lot of this can be attributed to ram. The OS is limited to using just a part of 1 Gb of ram, which limits innovation. Developers are limited to using only a percentage of the ram which limits them. We know this, they don't.

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Most will still buy "the new iPad" with only 1GB of RAM, even though iOS 8 is more RAM-hungry than Android 5/L.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
My reason for wanting 2GB+ of Ram in the next iPad is to allow the benefit in other apps, not just stock Apple apps like the OS or Safari. There are flight sims for example that look and perform very well but the developers have said the lack of available RAM is the biggest hurdle they face in the iPad - it's plenty powerful enough but more memory is required to make the most of the what is possible.

That makes a lot of sense. I can see games being even better and things like that. Overall though, there are already some pretty incredible games right now that run great on the current iPads. That there tells me that it can be done and safaris performance problems are mainly software related.

More RAM is a good thing though, I agree. Games and all that will run even better which is fine with me.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
The real question is: why are you obsessed with RAM? You'll end up buying it anyways, so why even bother?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

Tech forums are certainly not indicative of the mass market. The average consumer doesn't know or even care how much RAM their iPad has. Many of them don't even know what RAM is. They just know fast or slow.

As for losing market share, that's almost solely due to price. Cheap tablets from other OEMs are flooding the market and Apple will continue to lose share unless they price game, which we know they won't.

iPadDad

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2014
I think we'll see 2GB of RAM and an A8 that's clocked higher.

The iPad has been in decline - and not the "iPhone-type decline" where sales keep going up but marketshare shrinks. The iPad has actually seen a decline in sales.

Tim Cook has alluded to there being a number of things they can and will do to make the iPad innovative again. With the release of the 6+, my guess is we start seeing more differentiation between the iPhone and iPad.

Some of that will be hardware - more RAM, faster clocked chip, better battery life. But I think a lot of it will come in iOS where we'll see additional "iPad-only" features implemented.

And I think it will start in October.

Probably the best post on this thread so far!!!!!

iPad sales have been declining so Apple have to create more interest, not just create a std basic upgrade, I am sure this is going to be exciting! Split screen Multi-tasking surely confirms the ram upgrade, but let's see. I do think the new Air 2 is going to be very appealing!

Ezhik

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2011
Cupertino (No, really)
The real question is: why are you obsessed with RAM? You'll end up buying it anyways, so why even bother?

I don't know about you, but when I buy Apple, I buy it because they release quality products and not just because there's a shiny fruit logo on the back.

Lack of RAM is becoming a big problem, and if you can't see it as such, then, well, good for you. For those who can, however, it is increasingly becoming a deal breaker. Not everyone uses devices the same way you do, you know.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Why would they give you 2GB when the flagship device: iPhone 6 has only 1GB? Apple is never known to give you what you want so don't even bother expecting the next iPad air to have 2GB. won't happen!

Come back this this post and make me eat my foot if I'm wrong but I'm more than certain the A8 will be the same SOC as the iPhone 6.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
Why would they give you 2GB when the flagship device: iPhone 6 has only 1GB? Apple is never known to give you what you want so don't even bother expecting the next iPad air to have 2GB. won't happen!

Come back this this post and make me eat my foot if I'm wrong but I'm more than certain the A8 will be the same SOC as the iPhone 6.

Unless it needs 2 GB to run two apps simultaneously. Don't you think they put 2 GB if new iPad really needs 2 GB and just 1 GB in the iPhone if it just really needs 1 GB?

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I am selling my Air to get the 2 in hopes of it having 2GB of Ram one of its bigger sticking points for me hope I am not let down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.