Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeheenan

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
I feel bad for all the people who get first-gen iPad Minis for Christmas and either can't upgrade to iOS 8, or will likely see constant crashes and lagginess on iOS 8. iOS 7 is already slow enough on these A5 chips.

My folks got one for them and my uncle through wal mart. Considering they'll use it for books, email and web surfing, I think they'll be happy with their purchase for years.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
What I believe it means is that the S4 was selling less than the 5s (just as the iPad Mini was selling less than the RiPad Mini) in the previous period, and yielded a larger increase for the period being considered.

The data shows increase in sales, and not overall performance. A gadget that sold one single unit in the previous period, and in the period being considered here sold two units, would have experienced 100% growth over the period. A tremendous increase, but a puny result nonetheless.

The bolded section above cannot be inferred from this chart. I'm sure it's true, but that truth and this chart are uncorrelated.

Also, it must be said that the "larger increase for the period being considered" is relative. Without using the term "relative" here, you imply that the absolute numbers are larger where higher percentages are shown in the chart... which also cannot be inferred from this chart.

I suspect that you probably meant these things in your original post. The honest truth is that this is a terrible chart to be taken out of context; it means very little by itself and would benefit most from including numbers from the previous week. Many people across the blogosphere will see this chart and draw wild, zany conclusions, or otherwise misstate their intended conclusions. Alas, such is the nature of the internets...

----------

My folks got one for them and my uncle through wal mart. Considering they'll use it for books, email and web surfing, I think they'll be happy with their purchase for years.

Doesn't retina matter most when an application is text-heavy?

Also, I wonder:
If one has poor eyesight, is the retina screen more or less appealing?

redhawk87

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
Raleigh, NC
To me, this doesnt say anything. If 2 iPad airs were sold last week, and then 3 sold on black friday, that would get you the 50% increase week over week. I know thats a stretch, but it gets the point across. All this tells me is the iPad air and iPhone 5c were significantly more popular on black friday relative to the previous weekend compared to the other products. It does not tell you if the iPad air was more popular than other tablets on the list.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I feel bad for all the people who get first-gen iPad Minis for Christmas and either can't upgrade to iOS 8, or will likely see constant crashes and lagginess on iOS 8. iOS 7 is already slow enough on these A5 chips.

I'm running iOS 7 on a second generation iPad and two iPhone 4S's and it runs like a dream on all of them. I think the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4S has A5 processors. I don't see any issues at all.

If you're seeing problems with it, it's not likely the result of iOS 7. I have found that some of my iDevices in the past have required a system reset after a major upgrade to remedy some lag. You may want to look into that. It's a bit of a pain in the butt (make sure you backup first) but much better than dealing with the day-to-day problems.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Whatever happened to waiting until Christmas?

Actually I did get my partner an iPad Air - and we exchanged gifts last week. This way we both will be over the "I need to play with toys!"-phase by the time it's Christmas and we can focus on the truly important values of the holidays - getting totally drunk with friends!

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011

So are you saying that everyone who has an iPad Mini, iPhone 4s, iPod Touch 5th gen, iPad 2 and iPad 3 is struggling with slowness? stop the madness

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
bpcookson said:
The bolded section above cannot be inferred from this chart. I'm sure it's true, but that truth and this chart are uncorrelated.

True, it indeed cannot be inferred. It can be (albeit erroneously, to be sure) implied, but not inferred.

bpcookson said:
Also, it must be said that the "larger increase for the period being considered" is relative. Without using the term "relative" here, you imply that the absolute numbers are larger where higher percentages are shown in the chart... which also cannot be inferred from this chart.

Yes, it's relative, and no, not in the absolute numbers.

bpcookson said:
I suspect that you probably meant these things in your original post. The honest truth is that this is a terrible chart to be taken out of context; it means very little by itself and would benefit most from including numbers from the previous week. Many people across the blogosphere will see this chart and draw wild, zany conclusions, or otherwise misstate their intended conclusions. Alas, such is the nature of the internets...

Yes, you got what I meant, and I completely agree that these are horrible, horrible charts. Without anchor data from the previous period, not too much can be safely obtained from these figures. And that's what I mainly was driving at (but, yes, you're right) and didn't do a good job of achieving.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
So are you saying that everyone who has an iPad Mini, iPhone 4s, iPod Touch 5th gen, iPad 2 and iPad 3 is struggling with slowness? stop the madness

My iPad 2 certainly was. I couldn't even type without lag. Do you know how frustrating that is? So I picked up an rMini. Even it has a small amount lag in certain areas, which I hope can be fixed with a software update. But overall it's a world of difference. My boss, dad and sister are all having problems with their 4S and regret updating. But my sister just upgraded to a 5S so she's happy now. Most of my friends have an iPhone 5 or newer. The iPad 3 has twice the ram so it's coping better with software updates. I can only speak from my experience and the experiences of those that I know.

It just seems dumb to not spend an extra $100 on tablet that will give someone a couple more years of use—plus all the other bonuses like the retina screen and faster performance. I definitely notice a difference coming from an iPad 2. I hope for everyone's sake that iOS 8 has some serious optimizations. I'd love a tick-tock cycle for iOS that alternates between speed/optimizations and feature enhancements. Or even a blend—such as one year it's mostly optimizations and a few new features, then the next year it's mostly new features with a few optimizations. Maybe hold back a few advanced features for newer hardware. That would be a good blend of keeping existing customers happy while also keeping them coming back for upgrades when they're ready.

Off-topic, but I also want iOS 8 to have a dark theme similar to the new Tweetbot.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Looks like the 5c is doing better than expected?

Why does everyone rag on the 5c?

It's simply Apple's $100 on-contract phone just like there always is.

But this year... it's got the 4" screen and LTE... plus it comes in fun colors.

For those people who want to save a little bit of money up front... the 5c is a great phone.

It's a much better deal than last year's $100 phone... the 4S

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
My iPad 2 certainly was. I couldn't even type without lag. Do you know how frustrating that is? So I picked up an rMini. Even it has a small amount lag in certain areas, which I hope can be fixed with a software update. But overall it's a world of difference. My boss, dad and sister are all having problems with their 4S and regret updating. But my sister just upgraded to a 5S so she's happy now. Most of my friends have an iPhone 5 or newer. The iPad 3 has twice the ram so it's coping better with software updates. I can only speak from my experience and the experiences of those that I know.

It just seems dumb to not spend an extra $100 on tablet that will give someone a couple more years of use—plus all the other bonuses like the retina screen and faster performance. I definitely notice a difference coming from an iPad 2. I hope for everyone's sake that iOS 8 has some serious optimizations. I'd love a tick-tock cycle for iOS that alternates between speed/optimizations and feature enhancements. Or even a blend—such as one year it's mostly optimizations and a few new features, then the next year it's mostly new features with a few optimizations. Maybe hold back a few advanced features for newer hardware. That would be a good blend of keeping existing customers happy while also keeping them coming back for upgrades when they're ready.

Off-topic, but I also want iOS 8 to have a dark theme similar to the new Tweetbot.

I have an iPad 3, it works very well. My sister has an iPad 2 and actually she upgraded and reset and it works very well for her too. I guess it really depends on individual configuration and habits. I agree with you though, the $100 difference is just too little for someone NOT to pick the retina mini version! If Apple had one at $249 and the other for $399 then I understand, but come on Apple! Same goes for the 5c and 5s

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Right. Get the prices closer, and people realize that Apple is the better deal.

For cheapskates, Android is the only choice.

Cheapskates don't buy discounted products from Apple either, do they?

Some people buy Android because they like the freedom. Not just because it's cheap.

If anything this chart proves Apple's price is too high and people would be less inclined to get one unless it has a discount. Like right now.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
If anything this chart proves Apple's price is too high and people would be less inclined to get one unless it has a discount. Like right now.

This chart proves that people took advantage of the slight discounts on Apple products over the Black Friday weekend.

But what about the other 362 days of the year?

Are Apple's prices still too high?

Apple sold 152 million iPhones and 52 million iPads last year. Are they really too expensive?

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
This chart proves that people took advantage of the slight discounts on Apple products over the Black Friday weekend.

But what about the other 362 days of the year?

Are Apple's prices still too high?

Apple sold 152 million iPhones and 52 million iPads last year. Are they really too expensive?

Yes they are. Millions buy it because in all fairness, they're an all-around good product in the market. For the price, the screen could be better or bigger, RAM could be bigger, battery life could be longer especially on the iPhone. Features could be enhanced. Others could offer those at a lower price. I don't ask for lower price but it could be improved.

Apple is always a bit on expensive side, even down to its accessories which in the end drive some people to buy knockoffs and electrocute you to death. Ask yourself did you buy your Apples because it's dirt cheap? But yeah it's hard to compete with the whole ecosystem.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Good timing....

in Apple plans to bring out a nice product just befores holidays....Only thing is Apple is no more a computer company, being more a device maker....

:):apple:

majorchimp

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2013

Some people buy Android because they like the freedom. Not just because it's cheap.

Freedom for what? Widgets? Anyway, since Android has 24% of Android users are still on Gingerbread, I'd hardly say that it's because of the freedom.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Freedom for what? Widgets? Anyway, since Android has 24% of Android users are still on Gingerbread, I'd hardly say that it's because of the freedom.

If some people like that. Then what? iOS7 on iPhone 4 is nothing more than a mere label too. Many features are crippled off it. Despite using iOS 7, the iPhone 4 can have no Siri, Airdrop, panorama mode, live camera Filters. Not to mention it's lagged as hell. Where's the fun then?

Nothing more than version number 7, new icons and backgrounds. No perks left for older hardware. Sorry but it's true. I don't think that's far off than being left out with Gingerbread on Android. They just change the number.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Cheapskates buy cheap stuff. Android is cheap. Therefore cheapskates buy Android.

Non-cheapskates have a choice what to buy. I wasn't talking about non-cheapskates. Why bring them up?

What is this 'freedom' you talk about with Android? You're locked into the Android ecosystem when you choose Android. I think you've been brainwashed. You have freedom when you don't have either. Once you choose Android vs iOS, you're then locked into using their ecosystem, and only apps available for that market. There is no iOS -> Android emulator.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I love my new Air, I've owned and used android tablets, also now own a windows tablet, but the one I use the most is still the Ipad, the apps are just so much better and easier to use, never crash, it's just in a league all its own

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY

My 4S lags at times, while my iPad Air performs like a champ. It doesn't make sense at this point in time to get anything with a A5 and 512MB of RAM. Even someone who just uses their non-retina iPad mini for reading books and e-mail will eventually download an app that will cause them to ask someone more tech-savvy in their family why their "new" iPad lags so much. iOS 8 could potentially be the iOS that forces people with the iPad 2, non-retina iPad mini, iPhone 4S and iPod Touch to upgrade, unless they stick with iOS 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.