Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
But but...everyone said Apple wasn't cool anymore.

Remember this chick Tina Wells from Buzz Marketing.

http://bgr.com/2013/01/10/iphone-surface-teen-survey-287400/

BTW that article has disappeared from their own marketing website...wonder why Tina Wells...wonder why. Apple insider posted this...great piece on it.

The continued U.S. growth of iOS at the expense of Android and Blackberry is also noteworthy given that this summer was marked by incessant reports of Apple's supposed failure to "innovate," along with frequently stated concerns about Samsung's purported encroachment upon Apple's business.

Among these memes was a widely published report stating that 'teens no longer found Apple "cool,"' instead preferring Samsung's Galaxy brand along with Microsoft's Surface. After months of being broadly syndicated, largely without criticism, that headline now generates 189 million search results from Google.""Teens are telling us Apple is done” - Tina Wells, Buzz"

Those reports can be traced back to one source: Buzz Marketing Group, run by Tina Wells, who issued the report and was subsequently quoted by Fortune as saying "Teens are telling us Apple is done.”

Wells added, "Apple has done a great job of embracing Gen X and older [Millennials], but I don’t think they are connecting with Millennial kids [who are] all about Surface tablets/laptops and Galaxy."

Since January, however, Apple's iPhones subsequently outsold Samsung's higher end Galaxy phones, despite a series of flashy new product launches and aggressive smartphone discounting and promotion by Samsung. Meanwhile, the Surface turned out to a huge dud for Microsoft across all demographics, generating a write-off of nearly a billion dollars.

All mention of the "iPhone isn't cool" study, which was formerly prominently featured on the research firm's website, has since been removed.​

Very interesting... Who in the world could've paid Buzz Marketing to publish and spread this "news" over the internet?!

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
My niece's friend works in electronics at Wal-Mart. She says that most older people who buy tablets specifically request Android devices. She says it is because they are cheaper. So those who literally have no other choice are stuck with Android. So much for the stereotype Samsung tried to pin on Apple. Poor HamStrung....always a bridesmaid, never a bride (except for the old and poor).

noodlemanc

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Australasia
Post deleted by moderator

Cause' I'm sure all the geniuses just LOOVVEEE it to be hard as **** to make a phone call or Google something. Seriously, what's wrong with people these days? Suddenly a piece of technology being EASY to use is something BAD... Why? Oh, I know! So that people like you can feel good about using something that is unnecessarily complex and you can be up yourselves priçks to everyone that doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
My totally non-tech friend, who has an iPhone, but pays zero attention to tech blogs or forums, or tech news in general, asked me the other day;

"Why did Apple turn my phone into a teenager's toy?"

He was referring to iOS7.

Sometimes Apple's foresight, and/or insight, into their target audiences is astounding.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Where do these teenagers get the money for such devices?

Didn't you get the memo? Kids these days get everything they want.

Parents, in constant fear of being judged a bad parent by their nosy litigious Facebooking friends and neighbors, and in constant fear of their kid not feeling amazingly super special 24/7, kowtow to their child's every whim, even if it means more credit cards and crushing debt.

And of course, the amount kids are spoiled has always been in direct proportion to the lack of actual parenting they receive.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I'm in my 50s and have a iphone and ipad. Does this mean I am still cool? Or even young? Or just a deperate old try-hard. :)

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
I find it annoying when people try using an iPhone (or any new device or software for that matter) and give up without "exploring" it. Just because it doesn't do what you are used to or accustomed to doesn't mean it sucks. You just don't understand how to use it yet and what's worst, you haven't even bothered to try.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
Poor HamStrung....always a bridesmaid, never a bride (except for the old and poor).
You nailed the very essence of a lot of teeny posters here.
You need both of them. Olds to give you money for your iToys, poors to make you feel better about your life.
What a stupid statement :(

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
More of them own an iPhone than in Spring 2013 (55% versus 48%). But the chart doesn't mention Android ownership.

I don't know about the US, but according to Kantar, the numbers here in Germany say that 78,8% of all sold smartphones are Android devices. In the last quarter, Windows phones have reached almost the same market share as iPhones: 8,8% vs 9,5%. Blackberry has almost disappeared: 0,5%. Remember, we're talking about new sales here, not about the established user base.

The quarter before that, the same source reported the same market share for Android: 78,8%. But back then, iOS still had 11,1% and Windows Phone only 3,8%. (5,7% were owned by "other" platforms, 0,6% went to Blackberry.)

So in Germany iOS and the nameless "others" are losing market share to Windows Phone.

Teens here - at least the ones who have parents who pay for the latest and the greatest - are currently more likely to be seen with the HTC One than with any other phone.

The HTC One was this year's shooting star, not the iPhone 5S, not the Galaxy S4. The other big surprise was the LG G2, which in all likelihood is the device after which the forthcoming Nexus 5 will be modeled. But the outstanding success of the HTC One showed two things: Firstly, and very obviously, not only Apple can build beautifully designed aluminum gadgets. And secondly, it seems that people are getting bored of Apple and Samsung and are looking for new players.

Little-Tiger

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008
This is such a not logical table.

"Own an iPhone". 65% will buy another iPhone, so Apple is losing 35%. Should it be "own an iPhone" 100% gets an iPhone???

And where is the "Own an Android phone or any other phone" table??? How many non-iphone users will go to iPhone??
Are they comparing A with B??

Anybody can play with number to make one company look good!!

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
what surprises me is how small the user base and interest in ipad mini is among these kids.it's strange.while most if not all adult iPad users that I know admitted they actually prefer the mini to full size iPad.

Kid Vorpal

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
what surprises me is how small the user base and interest in ipad mini is among these kids.it's strange.while most if not all adult iPad users that I know admitted they actually prefer the mini to full size iPad.

I wonder how much of this is due to the kids being exposed to (and becoming familiar with) the larger iPads at school. I have a middle schooler and a high schooler that both were issued iPads this year instead of textbooks, and they laugh at the Mini's size.

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazivad
I'm more offended at your insinuation that all teenagers are "simple minded"

The mouth breathers "simple minded"? Perish the thought.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
My niece's friend works in electronics at Wal-Mart. She says that most older people who buy tablets specifically request Android devices. She says it is because they are cheaper. So those who literally have no other choice are stuck with Android. So much for the stereotype Samsung tried to pin on Apple. Poor HamStrung....always a bridesmaid, never a bride (except for the old and poor).
Look down your nose much?

You are also dealing with two competing interests here. The survey is asking teens what THEY are interested in, and what THEY would buy. The problem is that the teens are not the ones buying these devices, it's the parents who are buying them. And sorry, but price is a MAJOR component to any tech purchase.

On the tablet end of things, you have the Nexus 7, which is basically setting the standard for android device because it's getting premium support from Google(most tablets prior were STUCK with the android OS that shipped with the tablet). Since the Nexus 7's release, you have other manufacturers supporting their devices with updates. The nexus 7 also set the pricepoint for all others to follow as well. Because of that, you have android tablets being released that are comparable to the Nexus 7(2012) for MUCH less. These are getting pretty good/great reviews, and are legit options to the iPad&mini. Given the price, I expect LOTS of these, plus the nexus7(2013) to be looked at, in comparison to the iPad&mini when the PARENTS purchase decisions are being made.

The short list are
Nexus7(2013) - $229
Discounted Nexus7(2012) - varied $$$ - better screen than iPad mini
Asus memo hd 7 - $149 - similar to Nexus7(2012) + SD card
Hisense Sero 7 Pro - $129 - Identical to Nexus7(2012) + SD card + HMDI

Say what you will, but quality products at < 1/2 the price of the iPad mini are a major threat.

The day of the total POS android tablets for $99-$150 are over, provided you put in 5 minutes of research, and don't impulse buy the $69-99 tablet you see in BB, HHGregg, microcenter, BigLots, Fry's, etc...

That last bolded part is the difference

Last edited:

Conrad Joe

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013
This is good news, because most of those teenagers will get a 5c, which has a higher profit margin. Hopefully, that will satisfy investors that Apple is on a roll.

----------

Where do these teenagers get the money for such devices?

iPhones cost only $50 (or you could get one free) and the contract costs the same no matter which phone you get. The iPhone is no more expensive than any other phone.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
If you own an HTC One or Samsung S4 - it's easy to use right out of the box. You don't need to be a techie. You don't need to customize anything. They (and iPhones) are ALL great phones.

All tech has SOME learning curve for new or migrating users.

I have an S4 sitting on my desk at this very second, and I would disagree wholeheartedly with you…

Is it easier to set up and use than earlier Androids? Yes. Does it pale in comparison to setting up and using an iPhone? Most definitely.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
It all makes sense now...Teen brains don't fully develop until their early 20's...during which time they can't make rational decisions or understand the consequences of their actions.

Isn't it also true that 100% of Justin Beiber fans are teens? Hmmmm....

:D

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Wonder how much mommy and daddy have to do with those decisions. They're paying for them...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I have an S4 sitting on my desk at this very second, and I would disagree wholeheartedly with you…

Is it easier to set up and use than earlier Androids? Yes. Does it pale in comparison to setting up and using an iPhone? Most definitely.

Disagree all you want. That doesn't make it fact.

You have your opinion. I have mine. They are opinions. Neither one can be promoted as a fact to generalize across the board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.