Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2009
It's out in the Apple store already. I bought one and it's... just okay.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Interesting....why just okay?

For $40 I would rather buy something
better if the Apple case does not cut it.

jgfink

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
To be honest just a silicon sleeve for the backside of it will be plenty for me. I'll get a stand, but thats pretty much good for me. I'll also get a screen protector probably.

CoryTV

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2006
I love the case.

I'm not an apple fanboy (check my posts) but I love the case.. It's very well designed-- as I just posted in the "its too heavy" thread, the triangle configuration is perfect for holding the thing-- you can grab rather than pinch it, using bigger muscles in your arm, making it much more comfortable to hold for long periods.. Plus it will sit on the desk in either portrait or landscape, and closes to a very small form factor.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Going to store tomorrow so if
someone has a strong recommendation
for a case let me know which one
you bought. Otherwise will look
online for one.

Still curious to hear the shortcomings
of the official Apple case

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
online for one.

Read some of the other threads on this topic.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Didn't buy but crocheted my own. It fits perfectly and is one of a kind :)
IMG_0704.jpg

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Sweet! I still have a fleece sleeve and extra battery holder my wife made for me when I bought my TiPB G4 a long time ago. :) If my MBP would fit in it I'd still be using it today.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
The Apple iPad case is not bulky in the slightest. The packaging was super thin and the actual case adds less than a few millimeters. It is a bit tight the first time putting it on but the second time and after, it loosened up. I'm also using it to prop the iPad up when charging or in picture frame mode.

AlwaysLook'in

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2010
Covers for the iPad

Try looking at http://www.medgestore.com, they are going to have several different covers for the iPad. I have several for different types of Kindle's - 1st generation, 2nd and DX - they are well made and last very well. The Latitude Jacket is on that you can enclose the iPad into and zip it up and store a little in it as well... If you don't like them, just search the internet for: iPad covers. I am going to give the Apple cover a look see and try it - but I have to wait for my 64-3g.... patience is a what?:eek::confused:

Spudracer

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2009
online for one.

I can't really tell you about the "shortcomings" of the Apple case. I had one delivered yesterday. Fedex showed up with the case about an hour after UPS dropped off the iPad. What's to say. It's a rubbery textured sleeve that fits like a glove. The iPad just slides into a slot and a flap of vinyl tucks over and behind it to prevent it from sliding out. In addition to giving some protection to the screen when not in use, it provides a very grippy surface for the expensive electronics inside. I've constantly used the "tilt" configuration with the cover flap tucked under the the iPad and into a little tab to keep it in place. That position is great for typing with the iPad on your lap. The cover does add some bulk. The naked iPad feels very nice in your hand while the case makes it feel a little bigger. But, I don't see how you could get much more minimal than the Apple case while still providing some reasonable protection.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
I pre ordered the one from Apple. Wish I would have waited for others to be bought a tried out so I can see the reviews before I buy.

JayDH

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
I compared the Apple case and the inCase sleeve at the Apple Store on launch day. I decided on the inCase sleeve. The Apple case seemed like cheap cardboard. I also wasn't sure whether it would scratch the iPad after a period of time.

The inCase sleeve has the same white soft inside as the other inCase sleeves. Instead of a zipper it has a flap. The flap is a little tough to get on and off the iPad but i suspect that it will get easier as it gets broken in.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
I compared the Apple case and the inCase sleeve at the Apple Store on launch day. I decided on the inCase sleeve. The Apple case seemed like cheap cardboard. I also wasn't sure whether it would scratch the iPad after a period of time.

The inCase sleeve has the same white soft inside as the other inCase sleeves. Instead of a zipper it has a flap. The flap is a little tough to get on and off the iPad but i suspect that it will get easier as it gets broken in.

I ended up ordering the incase zipperless sleeve too, in the silver color. I think it looks really really nice. Plus I've always had good experience with their stuff, it's good quality.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I picked one up at the local Apple Store. Like an earlier poster mentioned it's nice to have a little more to hold onto. I felt like I was just using my fingers to hold the iPad naked and this case makes it easier to just grab onto. The inside cover is microfiber so it will help keep the screen clean, but be careful opening it all the way and setting it down because that microfiber is now face down on your table and could pick up <insert disgusting/damaging table top debris here>. The cover makes it feel more like a book in an odd way and I like it. It rides in the crook of the arm easier. My iPhone has silicone but I like Apple's iPad case.

When using it to prop up the iPad I wish it was a little more tilted (more like the dock).

glowrider

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
I didn't like the apple case. Seems too flimsy and I didn't like the logo.

The only similar case they had was the incase convertible which is what I got. It's a bit bulky but it also helps to hold it. It also has multiple positions to angle it. Not bad so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.