Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasg49

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
One of the first things I noticed when comparing my 3rd gen iPad to the previous two generations (side by side at home), was the 'warmer' color temperature.

Not the extreme yellowing some here are finding - just a difference in the brightness and color rendition on my new iPad when compared to my original iPad or my wife's iPad 2.

After living with it for a few days and reading a bit more, I have concluded that the change in color temperature is correct (not sure if it was deliberate or not, but I suspect so).

If you look at this page of the Tom's Hardware review of the new iPad, you'll see that the new iPad (iPad 3 in the figure) comes much closer to rendering all of the Adobe color space. In particular, it covers more of the 'warm' colors than iPad and iPad 2.

The measured color temperature dropped from iPad2's 7100K to 6800K - definitely a shift to the warmer side and much closer to the ideal color temperature recommended for HDTV calibration (6500K).

Also, if when I looked at this page of colors - the block of pure red looks much closer to red than on the iPad 2 - which is a bit orange to my eye.

Whites are definitely different and equivalent brightness levels seem to be at different positions on the slider, but I now consider the changes in color rendition to be correct and am not worrying about 'yellow' on my new iPad.

YMMV

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Just compared my new iPad to my son's iPad 2 and you are so right. The red looked the most different -- orangish on the iPad 2 and more accurate on the new iPad.

Thanks for sharing!

iLukeJoseph

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Not sure who would call DisplayMate an expert other than Displaymate :) What they offer is kind of a joke in the calibration world. You cannot really do what they say you can do with their "calibration software", without instrumentation the best one can do is a "basic" calibration. Brightness/Contrast/Sharpness and rough Color/Tint (with a blue filter).

jasg49

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
Not sure who would call DisplayMate an expert other than Displaymate :) What they offer is kind of a joke in the calibration world. You cannot really do what they say you can do with their "calibration software", without instrumentation the best one can do is a "basic" calibration. Brightness/Contrast/Sharpness and rough Color/Tint (with a blue filter).
Interesting, thanks!

Matrickser

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
iPad2 & iPad3 and compare it

Attachments

• iPad 3.jpg
    iPad 3.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 880
  • iPad 2.jpg
    iPad 2.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 746

HTee

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2009
Color Temp

How does one measure the screen color temp? Do I need special equipment? I returned one iPad because the whites seemed like "off" white vs bright white like my iPad 2 and iPhone 4. I took my iPad 3 to best buy to compare with the 3 display models and 3 of 4 had a nice bright white screen while the 4th looked like mine. So do I have a yellow tinted screen or is it an accurate screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.