Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2012
I had thoughts about writing out comics. I'm looking for an apple device to do that with with. Then it dawned on me. The ipad pro 12.9" with the pencil and logitech keyboard. I can't buy one now and will probably wait until november'ish. Would the iPad pro work as a drawing / tablet device? I'm assuming it would. Just not sure on what apps are available for drawing things like comics. How well does it work? Thoughts on drawing apps for the ipad pro 12.9"?

Which is better for this application, the Ipad pro or a surface pro?

Thanks!

vmflapem

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2013
If you are into drawing, I think it is much better to go with a wacom tablet for many reasons. Also, apple pencil is really good but it doesn't have those buttons on the side to make your life easier.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2012
I always appreciate thinking outside the box but I'd rather stick to something I know like Apple devices or windows devices. Plus I want to use the device for other things besides drawing. Such as watching youtube videos or browsing the web.

Thanks!

If you are into drawing, I think it is much better to go with a wacom tablet for many reasons. Also, apple pencil is really good but it doesn't have those buttons on the side to make your life easier.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2012
I do have questions!

Are you mobile with your tablet? Like do you take it with you to a cafe or something like that? Or draw at a park? I'm kind of leaning towards the 9.7" after watching this video.

Now I do have the ipad Air 2 but I thought I couldn't draw on it. People are talking about a third party pencil but I'm not aware of one? The ipad air 2 is fine. It still works great even tho it's a few years old now.

Someone mentioned sketchbook on that youtube video so I downloaded that. I guess apple notes can also be used as a drawing app also. I'll have to check out procreate too. :)

Any thoughts on a pencil for the ipad air 2?

I draw my comic using procreate. Here's a sample
I'm using a 12.9 IPP, Apple Pencil with procreate. I love drawing on the iPad though it does take some getting used to.

Let me know if you have any questions!

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
You can buy a third party stylus for drawing on the Air 2. The problem is that to get a fine point and pressure sensitivity you need a Bluetooth stylus and other than the Adonit Pixel they mostly don't work properly on the air 2 because of changes in the screen technology from earlier models.

You could buy an app like Procreate and a dumb stylus to play with. That would give you an idea of what it's like to draw on the iPad screen without investing a large amount of money. If you enjoy drawing on the air 2 you'll love drawing on the iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2012
I ended up getting the ipad pro 12.9" with apple pencil. I got the refurb 128GB WIFI for $800. I have my iphone 6s plus anyway for mobile stuff anyway. I plan to sell my ipad air 2 space grey 64gb wifi/cellular.

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2014
I have one with the Apple Pencil and it works great, I'm sure there are better devices out there for this task, but the iPad Pro 12.9 is a great all rounder, where the dedicated devices will only be for drawing.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Now I do have the ipad Air 2 but I thought I couldn't draw on it. People are talking about a third party pencil but I'm not aware of one? The ipad air 2 is fine. It still works great even tho it's a few years old now.
I seem to recall that the Apple Pencil was best in class when it came out, and that there was no comparison to current 3rd party pencils for previous models. I suggest you find an Apple retailer and see if you can try out the pencil there.

Reactions: bensisko

spesifikbrush

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2015
I ended up getting the ipad pro 12.9" with apple pencil. I got the refurb 128GB WIFI for $800. I have my iphone 6s plus anyway for mobile stuff anyway. I plan to sell my ipad air 2 space grey 64gb wifi/cellular.

Good choice. There's an app called Medibang Paint that allows you to create comic panels alongside being a really good drawing app. But I definitely prefer Procreate. With a proper brush, you can easily create panels in it too.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Thanks! I'll give procreate a shot and look into medibang. Now I did find an app called comic maker. I have not used it much yet. It has pre-set panels. It provides some artwork too. Or you can import from your photos. Medibang seems cool.

Good choice. There's an app called Medibang Paint that allows you to create comic panels alongside being a really good drawing app. But I definitely prefer Procreate. With a proper brush, you can easily create panels in it too.

Reactions: spesifikbrush

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
I use a combination of three apps for drawing:
  • Adobe Sketch (personally, it gives me the closest feel to a pencil)
  • Paper by 53 (another great app for sketches and watercolor - great to sketch out quick ideas - it's also a very fun app)
  • Sketchbook (this is the one I use for my detailed work)
I often start a sketch in Adobe Sketch and finish it in Sketchbook. I love the combination of drawing apps!

Drawing outside on the 12.9 Pro is a mixed bag for me. In the sun, it's not very usable. In the shade, it's pretty great! As long as you can find some nice shade to draw in (or draw outside on a cloud day) it should work well!

As for the Adonit Pixel... I'd stay away from it. The ONLY devices it works close to advertised on is the iPad Pro (and you have the Pencil on the Pro which is WAY better). I bought it hoping to be able to make my Mini 4 into a pocket sketchbook, but it doesn't work good enough to be even just a sketchbook (latency and parallex).

Good luck and enjoy! Drawing on the iPad Pro is by far the most enjoyable drawing experience I have had! I'm actually considering replacing my iPad Air with the 9.7" iPad Pro (I have the 12.9" but it's not the most portable...).
[doublepost=1471192500][/doublepost]
I seem to recall that the Apple Pencil was best in class when it came out, and that there was no comparison to current 3rd party pencils for previous models. I suggest you find an Apple retailer and see if you can try out the pencil there.

For iPads, there's just no compairison. If you don't have a Pro, Pencil by 53 is probably the closest to being any good.

On other devices, the Surface Pen for the Surface pro 4 (which also works on the Pro 3) is pretty great! They did a great job improving on the original Surface pro 3 stylus.
[doublepost=1471192620][/doublepost]
You can buy a third party stylus for drawing on the Air 2. The problem is that to get a fine point and pressure sensitivity you need a Bluetooth stylus and other than the Adonit Pixel they mostly don't work properly on the air 2 because of changes in the screen technology from earlier models.

You could buy an app like Procreate and a dumb stylus to play with. That would give you an idea of what it's like to draw on the iPad screen without investing a large amount of money. If you enjoy drawing on the air 2 you'll love drawing on the iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil.

I don't know... The experience of drawing on an iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil is pretty far and away from any other iPad/Stylus combination. Even the best combo on the Air 2 can't hold a candle to drawing with Apple Pencil on the Pro (either size).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.