Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Finox831

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
I made a post about an iPad Air I had purchased through eBay a few days back and everything seemed good until I enabled the volume, here is the thread I had made:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1726288/

So the volume of the iPad Air seems to static and the speakers, which are located at the bottom of the iPad make the iPad Air vibrate/shake and static when using the volume at a low to normal level, or at any level for that matter. Funny thing is, I plugged in headphones to see what would happen and everything seemed to be fine, there was no static or vibration. After I unplugged the headphones the static and vibrations stopped, and haven't had it happen since.

My concern is now that I'm worried. I contacted he eBayer in regards to this issue and he was extremely kind, he said he would be willing to pay for my repair, or I could receive a full refund.

Some options:

1. Try and Exchange for New one

I registered this product just yesterday, it was brand new and the plastic wrapper that came wrapped up in the iPad Air is still on the iPad. I made an appointment with an Apple genius for today and I was wondering if they would be willing to exchange it for a new one? take in mind I don't have a receipt since I purchased this through eBay.

2. Full Refund

Just send it back and don't deal with this anymore?

3. Get it repaired

I can get it repaired through Apple, but is the product the same once repaired and doesn't it take weeks for me to get my iPad back?

By the way, I'm still under warranty:

Repairs and Service Coverage: Active

Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple's Limited Warranty.
Estimated Expiration Date: April 16, 2015

Kind of asking for suggestions on what to do, thanks guys.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Send it back for a refund. And buy from a legit outlet like the Apple Store or Best Buy or Target.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I made a post about an iPad Air I had purchased through eBay a few days back and everything seemed good until I enabled the volume, here is the thread I had made:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1726288/

So the volume of the iPad Air seems to static and the speakers, which are located at the bottom of the iPad make the iPad Air vibrate/shake and static when using the volume at a low to normal level, or at any level for that matter. Funny thing is, I plugged in headphones to see what would happen and everything seemed to be fine, there was no static or vibration. After I unplugged the headphones the static and vibrations stopped, and haven't had it happen since.

My concern is now that I'm worried. I contacted he eBayer in regards to this issue and he was extremely kind, he said he would be willing to pay for my repair, or I could receive a full refund.

Some options:

1. Try and Exchange for New one

I registered this product just yesterday, it was brand new and the plastic wrapper that came wrapped up in the iPad Air is still on the iPad. I made an appointment with an Apple genius for today and I was wondering if they would be willing to exchange it for a new one? take in mind I don't have a receipt since I purchased this through eBay.

2. Full Refund

Just send it back and don't deal with this anymore?

3. Get it repaired

I can get it repaired through Apple, but is the product the same once repaired and doesn't it take weeks for me to get my iPad back?

By the way, I'm still under warranty:

Repairs and Service Coverage: Active

Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple's Limited Warranty.
Estimated Expiration Date: April 16, 2015

Kind of asking for suggestions on what to do, thanks guys.

Warranty covers it, the take back to Apple Store to fix it. Apple does not ask you for receipt

----------

Send it back for a refund. And buy from a legit outlet like the Apple Store or Best Buy or Target.

What is il-legit for buying iPad Air on eBay? It is iPad Air from Apple, it is wrapped in plastic so it is brand new, it covers by warranty. Why not just ask Apple to replace it?

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Not sure why you're asking at this point, since you already have an appointment. Find out what Apple says, and if you don't like their response, then go from there.

IXDoubleDXI

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Central Florida
^^^this.

I'd take it to Apple and have them fix it as it's covered under warranty. Seems like you got a pretty decent deal for $438.00 (provided it was actually new and this is just a defective problem). If they fix it and is as new after that, I'd live with it. Always check Apple refurbs in their store before buying "New" on eBay.

Finox831

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
An update: I went and saw the Genius, he did a "test" on my iPad Air in the back room by simply playing music on my iPad Air, he said he didn't hear anything wrong with it (wasn't rattling/producing static at this point) and he said unless he heard it actually static/rattle that he couldn't send it in to get replaced. He also said he couldn't give me a new one since I didn't buy it through them.

Now, the eBayer gave me the option to keep the iPad Air that's under warranty until April of 2015 and he offered me a $110 refund as well, bringing the total cost of the iPad Air to $320. The iPad Air was brand new, everything was plastic wrapped and I also checked over the serials. Being under warranty until April 2015 means if something DOES happen, I could get it replaced for free...hopefully.

This is what he eBayer just wrote to me in regards to the refund: "I'll send you a check or money order, or a cashier's check if you want, but for some reasons of my own - nothing to do with this - I have to get it out to you next week. " Not sure how I feel about receiving the refund outside of eBay? is there a reason he wouldn't want to do it through eBay?

Keep the deal or go for the refund? in a sticky situation.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
An update: I went and saw the Genius, he did a "test" on my iPad Air in the back room by simply playing music on my iPad Air, he said he didn't hear anything wrong with it (wasn't rattling/producing static at this point) and he said unless he heard it actually static/rattle that he couldn't send it in to get replaced. He also said he couldn't give me a new one since I didn't buy it through them.

Now, the eBayer gave me the option to keep the iPad Air that's under warranty until April of 2015 and he offered me a $110 refund as well, bringing the total cost of the iPad Air to $320. The iPad Air was brand new, everything was plastic wrapped and I also checked over the serials. Being under warranty until April 2015 means if something DOES happen, I could get it replaced for free...hopefully.

Keep the deal or go for the refund? in a sticky situation.

Once again….go for the refund….get your $$$ back and run away as fast as you can from Ebay. Just because it is "wrapped" in plastic, sealed, etc. doesn't mean it is new. Most office supply stores have a machine that will "factory wrap" a box - just pay a small amount. As another poster said here, never buy electronics from Ebay. Just too risky…and I think you have just found out the hard way. Whatever you do, I wish you good luck.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I would go for the full refund as well. He lost all credibility when he said he needed to refund you next week, in my opinion. If you sent him the money through Paypal he should just be able to click "issue refund."

Something doesn't seem right.

If possible, I would keep the iPad until you get the money back.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
An iPad Air for $320, yikes that's a mega deal. Think about it, you are covered for a full year if you decide to exchange it with Apple for a refurb. If you trade it in that's pretty close to what you paid. Out of pocket cost is close to 0

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Just a thought, but if the warranty is good until April of next year, then the iPad has to be new, right? I suppose that it could still be stolen, however.

And I bought a used cellphone from ebay last year, and it was literally "like new". So I disagree with the fear mongering about buying electronics on ebay, but I totally agree that you have to be VERY careful when dong it.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
How does someone make a profit by selling a new ipad that cost 499 dollars for 438 dollars and then offering a credit because it is defective to bring your cost down to $320?

Finox831

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
How does someone make a profit by selling a new ipad that cost 499 dollars for 438 dollars and then offering a credit because it is defective to bring your cost down to $320?

People buy these in bulk, and most iPad Air's brand new go for $440-450 on eBay -- have been monitoring prices for the past week. Just because he lost money with me doesn't mean he's losing with everyone. I'm not sure if he's buying in bulk or not though...

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
People buy these in bulk, and most iPad Air's brand new go for $440-450 on eBay -- have been monitoring prices for the past week. Just because he lost money with me doesn't mean he's losing with everyone. I'm not sure if he's buying in bulk or not though...

A $320 Air is a clutch deal. You can always get it exchanged. I got a 32GB Air brand new for $450 and I thought that was a deal but yours is the better deal.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
The problem with this IPAD is that it defected. It probably defected from some East European Country and does not speak English.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Quick question, did the iPad still have the plastic cover on it when you first tried the speakers? That may be what was making the sound.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
OP the word is DefectIVE, not DefecTED. But like others here are saying, just return it and get your money back. Yes, you got somewhat of a good deal but why buy something (considered to be new) that you will in turn have to get fixed? You get what you pay for.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
OP the word is DefectIVE, not DefecTED. But like others here are saying, just return it and get your money back. Yes, you got somewhat of a good deal but why buy something (considered to be new) that you will in turn have to get fixed? You get what you pay for.

Someone please explain to me how an iPad, which he has found out has a warranty on it until April of next year, can't be new? The iPad MUST be new, right? It certainly hasn't been previously used, anyway.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Someone please explain to me how an iPad, which he has found out has a warranty on it until April of next year, can't be new? The iPad MUST be new, right? It certainly hasn't been previously used, anyway.

No one said it wasn't new. I think what he meant was, why pay the price tag and headache for something defective out of the box.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
If Apple is willing to honor the warranty, then keep it. If it indeed is defective, call AppleCare and see if you have better luck with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.